MiG-19P's radio system.

Zeus67

The MiG-19 series used the RSIU-4V radio transceiver.

Its frequency range is between 100 to 150 MHz in the 2 to 3 meter band.

Its range is:

• Up to 1000 meters (3,280 feet) altitude: 120Kms (65 nmiles).
  • At 5000 meters (16,400 feet) altitude: 230 Km (124 nmiles).
  • At 10,000 meters (32,800 feet) altitude: 350Kms (189 nmiles).

44458143_1917059438380685_3116258700373786624_n.png?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.fgye7-1.fna&oh=4c0f3e6d6ce0b8d48a7267f892a6ae39&oe=5C43EF00

As you can see it lacks any capability for manual frequency selection.

Although you can store 6 preset frequencies (via Mission Editor) for use while in flight.

IMO, this makes sense because the MiG-19's (any version) cockpit is an extremely busy environment. You have to operate multiple switches all the time when you need to enable/disable anything.

If you are using easy comms, the radio will self tune to the selected frequency. If you are not using easy comms, the only frequencies available are those in the preset channel. Plan your mission accordingly.

One interesting thing is that the audio output can be switched between radio communications or the ADF's NDB station identity morse code.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

So you're saying the RSIU-4V won't be fully modelled?

We will model what is available in the cockpit. As you can see, only the preselect channels, power switch, audio output selector and volume control are available.

The pilot has no way to manually change the RSIU-4V frequencies. That was a design decision by Mikoyan, not us.

Edited by Zeus67

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Hello Imp

Thanks for pointing that out. That switch is used for radio noise cancellation, when the noise amount is too big because the aircraft is too far away from the selected station or by other signals interference. As the aircraft gets near the station and signal gets stronger, the noise suppression system will disconnect automatically.

The radio power switch is located at the right panel.

We will model what is available in the cockpit. As you can see, only the preselect channels, power switch, audio output selector and volume control are available.

The pilot has no way to manually change the RSIU-4V frequencies. That was a design decision by Mikoyan, not us.

Sure, but what about these functions: https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=196808&d=1540847383

How can the player experience the advantages of the RSIU-4V over the RSIU-3M by only implementing the pilot control block?

EDIT: Oh, and since i'm busy criticizing anyway :D

On the RAZBAM facebook page, the PLAAF livery should have 4 digits instead of 3 on MiG-19P/ early J-6A aircraft from that time period. 3 digits were only used on prototypes.

1_3a.jpg.1c09769c61f17ab343a7216cd1544ac8.jpg

Edited by Vincent90

IMO, this makes sense because the MiG-19's (any version) cockpit is an extremely busy environment. You have to operate multiple switches all the time when you need to enable/disable anything.

Made my day! Messing around with switches and buttons is what makes me feel even more connected to my plane. Being truly part of it.

Good to know both the MiG-21 and the MiG-19 will be able to contact the same AWACS plane. I'd only need to preset a certain channel for all them Farmers and add them to my missions. Folks can't wait for this module to hit my server. Me neither :smilewink:

S!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Sure, but what about these functions: https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=196808&d=1540847383

How can the player experience the advantages of the RSIU-4V over the RSIU-3M by only implementing the pilot control block?

Unfortunately I cannot read Cyrillic nor do I know Russian. :'(

EDIT: Oh, and since i'm busy criticizing anyway :D

On the RAZBAM facebook page, the PLAAF livery should have 4 digits instead of 3 on operational aircraft from that time period. 3 digits were only used on prototypes.

I am not sure if DCS supports a 4 digit aircraft number.

It's an excerpt from paragraph 1.3 of the RSIU-4V manual (Overstratos has it). I'm far from fluent either, but here is my interpretation of it. Brackets are added by me.

1. 3. Types of communication

The RSIU-4V radio unit is designed for maintaining two-way telephone (meaning: modulated) communication in radio networks, with the help of an amplitude modulation system of the carrier frequency in transmitting stations.

The RSIU-4V radio unit in KOMPLEKS with one transceiver provides the possibility of a wireless telephone communication.

In case of a simplex connection (one-way traffic), the reception of the correspondent to the answer is made to him on one and the same wave by switching the transceiver from receive mode to transmit mode.

The transition time of the equipment from one mode to another is no more than 0.5 seconds.

In more complex configuration options, the RSIU-4V radio unit provides the following communication capabilities:

a) the maintenance of simplex communication in one network and the implementation of the reception on duty in the second network,

b) maintaining duplex communication,

c) simultaneous maintenance of simplex communication in two sets,

d) the maintenance of simplex communication in one network and the implementation of duty reception in the second and third networks.

Below are the features of communication in the basic configuration of the radio station. (See Appendix 1).

When putting an additional receiver in touch with the unit, and by using a single antenna, the main unit can send over the second receiver. In the case that you want it, the second receiver can send an fast/ emergency signal over the wave of the second (Lambda 2) network, and additionally receive on the behalf of the primary network, so the primary network can stay open. Respectively, network Lambda 1.

(It continues to talk about having this system strikes 2 birds in 1 stone: for one-way communication on one frequency, while being able to receive continuously on another. And for the ability to have duplex communication on one frequency)

Like I said in the other thread: Radio's are witchcraft to me, but from what I understand of the RSiU-4V manual and applied to the limitations of DCS, it is technically possible to put channel 1 on 101 Mhz for your flight communication and communicate on that, and channel 2 on 149 Mhz for "breaking news" stuff like GCI/heavy interceptor comms, and not miss a single message.

It would be great if you could run the manual through someone who:

a) is native russian

b) knows his stuff about old radios

I can recommend the guys at forum.qrz.ru

By the way, do you happen to understand the function of the intermediate frequencies 1 and 2 (19.444-27.777 and 3.333 MHz respectively) ?

The problem is that there´re many variants of the the RSIU-4V radio station. Of them, the most simple was the modification used in fighter aircraft.

Anyhow, we are studying the manuals and every functionality that was present in the aircraft variant will be modeled, so don´t worry. Also, RSIU-3M was only present in early MiG-19s to be used in conjunction with Gorizont and Globus systems. Later MiG-19P(which is the one we are working on) were updated to RSIU-4V.

More complex variants of RSIU-4V can do the following comms:

a) simplex comms in one channel and guard comms in the second channel

b) duplex comms

c) simultaneous simplex comms in two separate channels

d) simplex comms in one channel and guard comms in second and third channels

Provided by ZHeN

EDIT : He also told me that just below this paragraph there should be a description of the most common modes used in the main variant of the RSIU-4V radio.

Edited by Rex854Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for all the information but at this time we are stuck with the simple radio control panel that is in the first post.

It does not matter what capabilities the radio has. What matters is what the pilot is able to do with the radio and in this case he can only select between 6 channels, control de volume, select what he wants to hear in his headphones and enable/disable the squelch.

• 1 year later...

Can not seem to connect the Mig-19P to any EWR whatever i do, any hints?

Supercarrier | Flaming Cliffs 3 | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen| MIG-21Bis | L-39 Albatros | Yak-52 | Spitfire LF MK IX | Mig-15Bis | Mig-19P Farmer | P-51D Mustang | F/A-18 | F-14 | F-5E Tiger II | C-101 Aviojet | I-16 | UH-1H Huey | Mil MI-8tv2 | Sa 342M Gazelle | Combined Arms | NS-430 Navigation System | NEVADA | Persian Gulf | Normandy1944 | World war II assets pack | Black Shark 2 | F-5E Agressors ACM campaign |F-5E Agressors BFM Campaign | L-39 Albatros Kursant Campaign | DCS:Syria