Stop cursor moving with head?

imacken

Is there any way of stopping the cursor moving with head movements in VR? It is very annoying as if clicking with the mouse on an instrument in the cockpit, for example, your head has to stay on the dial as well as the mouse pointer.

Crazy that you have to be looking directly at the instrument to make adjustments. I presume there is a way to stop this.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It is horrible, I don't know of a "fix". If this is a feature it really needs to go.

Edited by Muskoka

i5 11600k 4.9ghz, 64gb 3600, 3070ti, multiple ssd/nvme, Rift S, TM Warthog / Throttle, Saitek Pedals, Nevada, Normandy, Syria, A10C/2, KA-50 3, P51D, L39, Huey, WW2 Assets, VaicomPro

It is obviously early implementation of support for manipulating switches/dials by using the headset to look and then assigned HOTAS buttons to left click, right click, scroll left and scroll right.

I don't use it too much, but do use it somewhat in the Spit and think it is kinda cool.

But yes helps to have a steady head.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It is obviously early implementation of support for manipulating switches/dials by using the headset to look and then assigned HOTAS buttons to left click, right click, scroll left and scroll right.

I don't use it too much, but do use it somewhat in the Spit and think it is kinda cool.

But yes helps to have a steady head.

Don, it makes no sense at all to have to have your eyes looking at exactly the same spot as your hands (mouse) to have any functionality.

PS. Did you get my PM?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yeah, I REALLY wish they'd give us a way to decouple the mouse cursor from head tracking. It's so difficult, and annoying, to use. It's easy to keep the mouse still but not nearly as easy to keep your head still while you're trying to line up and click on something.

And it happens frequently where I want to position the cursor on something to be able to click a few seconds from now, while looking elsewhere (simple example: cursor on BALT while watching altimeter to click at a certain altitude... which of course you can't do).

Win 10 Pro | i7 990x @ 4.5GHz | 32GB/1600MHz RAM | GTX 1080Ti | 1TB System SSD | 500GB DCS SSD | Saitek X55 HOTAS | Saitek Pro Flight Yoke & Pedals | HTC Vive

It really ruins part of the vr experience. What's been implemented is "not natural" at all. Your hands are not forced to follow what's directly in front of your eyes in the real world, so why do it here? I can manipulate "things" in my peripheral view in the real world, without needing to be looking directly at something, allow the same here. Your diminishing the experience by locking our hands to our eyes. The mouse, "your hand" should not be connected to the eyes in anyway.

In some cockpits it makes it very difficult to get at some switches/dials at your sides, because you really have to "crane/twist" your head/neck to get your eyes looking directly at them, it's actually annoying. If you could just look in that general direction and make adjustments, that would be the natural way of doing things. Now I have to reset my view in the headset, push myself back in the seat, further than what you'd do in the real seat, just to get at some things in the cockpit, makes no sense.

Edited by Muskoka

i5 11600k 4.9ghz, 64gb 3600, 3070ti, multiple ssd/nvme, Rift S, TM Warthog / Throttle, Saitek Pedals, Nevada, Normandy, Syria, A10C/2, KA-50 3, P51D, L39, Huey, WW2 Assets, VaicomPro

Don, it makes no sense at all to have to have your eyes looking at exactly the same spot as your hands (mouse) to have any functionality.

PS. Did you get my PM?

Sorry PM sent, just saw this am.

Keep in mind I am not using mouse, so my eyes are looking at the switch I manipulate and I use buttons on my HOTAS to do so.

But again, certainly is far from perfect and has a long way to go for improvements in this type of functionality.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It really ruins part of the vr experience. What's been implemented is "not natural" at all. Your hands are not forced to follow what's directly in front of your eyes in the real world, so why do it here? I can manipulate "things" in my peripheral view in the real world, without needing to be looking directly at something, allow the same here. Your diminishing the experience by locking our hands to our eyes. The mouse, "your hand" should not be connected to the eyes in anyway.

In some cockpits it makes it very difficult to get at some switches/dials at your sides, because you really have to "crane/twist" your head/neck to get your eyes looking directly at them, it's actually annoying. If you could just look in that general direction and make adjustments, that would be the natural way of doing things. Now I have to reset my view in the headset, push myself back in the seat, further than what you'd do in the real seat, just to get at some things in the cockpit, makes no sense.

I completely agree with everything you said there!

Sorry PM sent, just saw this am.

Keep in mind I am not using mouse, so my eyes are looking at the switch I manipulate and I use buttons on my HOTAS to do so.

But again, certainly is far from perfect and has a long way to go for improvements in this type of functionality.

Don, how do you get away with not using the mouse in complex cockpits like the A-10C? Impossible to map the hundreds of commands to the HOTAS!

If memory serves me correctly, as the saying goes, at one time, early on, the mouse was completely disconnected from the headsets point of view, but peoples were complaining that they'd "loose the cursor" so to speak, so we now have this weird solution where even when you check the "Use Mouse" option, it's tied to the HMD POV. :disgust:

I don't understand how they could 'lose the cursor' as whenever the mouse is moved, it's back!

I just cannot see why we have this at all. I mean, if you deselect 'use mouse' then the cursor moves with the HMD, so why have this when 'use mouse' is selected?

Totally beyond me.

And it happens frequently where I want to position the cursor on something to be able to click a few seconds from now, while looking elsewhere (simple example: cursor on BALT while watching altimeter to click at a certain altitude... which of course you can't do).

I also wish they had a better system in place, however... it's possible to left click and hold to "hold" rotaries (then look away) and use the mouse wheel at the same time to turn them. This may help in the situation you describe above.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I simply use the head movement as a rough control to get the cursor to where I need it, then the mouse only needs a tiny adjustment to find the button.

Faster than anything else imo, and when I don't need it anymore I push it out of the way.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Don, how do you get away with not using the mouse in complex cockpits like the A-10C? Impossible to map the hundreds of commands to the HOTAS!

Easy - I am not flying the A-10C.

:)

I keep things pretty simple at this time. Mostly using the Spit currently.

Don B

Easy - I am not flying the A-10C.

:)

I keep things pretty simple at this time. Mostly using the Spit currently.

Fair enough!:lol:

I simply use the head movement as a rough control to get the cursor to where I need it, then the mouse only needs a tiny adjustment to find the button.

Faster than anything else imo, and when I don't need it anymore I push it out of the way.

Same - I really don't mind it, I imagine it'd be a lot worse wanting the mouse but not being able to find it because your mouse moved - or the cursor has got stuck behind your head. Also I've no idea how you'd handle the sensitivity of the mouse needing to be quick enough to traverse 180 degs around you as you switch from left/right side of the cockpit but also needing to be precise enough to click buttons.

Same - I really don't mind it, I imagine it'd be a lot worse wanting the mouse but not being able to find it because your mouse moved - or the cursor has got stuck behind your head. Also I've no idea how you'd handle the sensitivity of the mouse needing to be quick enough to traverse 180 degs around you as you switch from left/right side of the cockpit but also needing to be precise enough to click buttons.

It just doesn't work that way! I have my mouse sitting next to my HOTAS throttle, and have never had any issue of not being able to find it.

The issue is that when you are adjusting a dial/instrument, your head has to be fixed to the spot when clicking the mouse. Slightest movement of the head and it's lost. Life is not like that. We do lots of things in peripheral vision, e.g. looking at your monitor while going for your mouse after typing.

There are many occasions when something critical is going on in DCS that you need to be able to see out the cockpit front screen as well as adjusting a control. Just not possible with the crazy head cursor thing.

By all means have the head cursor thing, but the mouse should take control when used.

It just doesn't work that way! I have my mouse sitting next to my HOTAS throttle, and have never had any issue of not being able to find it.

The issue is that when you are adjusting a dial/instrument, your head has to be fixed to the spot when clicking the mouse. Slightest movement of the head and it's lost. Life is not like that. We do lots of things in peripheral vision, e.g. looking at your monitor while going for your mouse after typing.

There are many occasions when something critical is going on in DCS that you need to be able to see out the cockpit front screen as well as adjusting a control. Just not possible with the crazy head cursor thing.

By all means have the head cursor thing, but the mouse should take control when used.

I honestly don't understand what the big deal is...just keep your head still when clicking buttons? It took about 5 minutes to get used to it and I've never thought about it since.

I honestly don't understand what the big deal is...just keep your head still when clicking buttons? It took about 5 minutes to get used to it and I've never thought about it since.

I think you’re missing the point. Imagine if we could only do things in real life if we could only action things that our head was looking directly at.

It’s not a question of getting used to it, it’s just completely wrong.

One thing I wish, is they would implement a press and hold movement of rotary dials.

Currently one just has to keep pressing the assigned button to continue moving the dial.

Don B

One thing I wish, is they would implement a press and hold movement of rotary dials.

Currently one just has to keep pressing the assigned button to continue moving the dial.

I'm confused by that one, Don. Click and hold on rotary dials is one thing that does work for me. For example, the gun sight brightness in the Spit.

I'm confused by that one, Don. Click and hold on rotary dials is one thing that does work for me. For example, the gun sight brightness in the Spit.

Hmm will check, I know click and hold ( with button assigned on HOTAS) does not work when rotating altimeter setting dial in Spit, or whatever it is called lol.

Don B

The "big deal" is it's "not natural" to have your hand "forced" to go where your eyes are "directly looking" , as has been pointed out by a few here already. It ruins the vr experience. You should be able to adjust things in the cockpit using your peripheral vision, just like in the real world. And most certainly, not be forced to stare at something to make adjustments to a dial, or flip a switch, that's ridiculous . It's not really hard to comprehend, to see the problem, it's simply a very poor implemention of mouse control / cockpit interaction.

I suppose if someone has the whole cockpit assigned to hotas buttons, then it's not an issue. But who wants to do that when flying in vr, certainly not me. Vr is about immersion, the freedom to look around, and interact with your surroundings, just as you would in the real world. This issue, takes part of that experience away. Besides, one of the most important aspects of flying is situational awareness, and the second I'm forced to "loose focus", because I have to "stare" at something just so my hands can make adjustments, is a step backwards, not forwards.

Just free the mouse from your eyes, and everything will be right in the world again.:smilewink:

Edited by Muskoka

Just free the mouse from your eyes, and everything will be right in the world again.:smilewink:

Make it an option so those of us that like it tied to where one looks have that still also.

Don B

Make it an option so those of us that like it tied to where one looks have that still also.

Sure, that would be great.