2080 Ti - can someone explain why not to go for nVidia Founders Edition?

I'm sort of confused here.

In the UK, there are lots of different manufacturers versions of the 2080 Ti - as normal for GPU cards - available for pre-order only. They vary in price from (approximately) £1100-£1400.

I used to think that this price variation was due to OEMs overclocking the cards, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

One example is the ASUS is 1545 MHz boost @ £1360, yet the nVidia Founders Edition is 1635 MHz boost yet only costs £1100, AND is available now.

Can someone enlighten me?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Generally speaking, companies like ASUS offer better cooling systems (more fans, water) as well as extensive overclocking software with their products. I bought a founders 1080 but its probably the last time I buy a founders simply because I find the other products better in the long run.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

also they have 2 tiers for the 2080Ti. The only difference between them is binning and the factory clocks (stock VS "overclocked" whatever that means). This probably accounts for the cheaper models. personally I would go with cheaper as the 400$ premium for superclocked variants getting you like 3 FPS more is a sad joke.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I'm sort of confused here........

Can someone enlighten me?

Nope... From what I've read the FE can be overclocked further if you want... but runs a little hotter but still within spec. If self OC'ed some cases may need good air flow. The FE looks good to my eyes with little plastic.

NVidea departed from previous conventions by releasing the 2080 ti with decent dual fans and factory clocked a tadge in a neat package...sort of competing direct with 3rd party offerings... Uses a vapour chamber and variable fans so should be quieter compared to the noisy blowers of old FE models and has a 3 year warranty.

I too would have great difficulty of paying up to £400 more for the extra performance gain and cooler running...

SIGBLOCK.png

Nope... From what I've read the FE can be overclocked further if you want... but runs a little hotter but still within spec. If self OC'ed some cases may need good air flow. The FE looks good to my eyes with little plastic.

NVidea departed from previous conventions by releasing the 2080 ti with decent dual fans and factory clocked a tadge in a neat package...sort of competing direct with 3rd party offerings... Uses a vapour chamber and variable fans so should be quieter compared to the noisy blowers of old FE models and has a 3 year warranty.

I too would have great difficulty of paying up to £400 more for the extra performance gain and cooler running...

Yes, that's what I thought. The FE looks pretty good with the dual fans, a vapour chamber and o/c out of the box.

Agreed that the extra 2 or 3 fps for a bit more o/c is just not worth it.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I take these articles with a pinch of salt. Anyway, it wasn't just FE cards being mentioned there.

A lot of tech sites are reporting this problem with the 2080's at the moment. So I will leave both my salt and money in my pockets :)

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

3rd party waterblock manufacturers usually design their blocks for the FE card layout.

So anybody who wants to rip the fans off and mount a waterblock will likely go for FE cards.

Once you mount a proper block the "FE" card is superior in cooling to any air-cooled card.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Strangely enough, FE comes with a slight overclock unlike non overclocked 3rd parties one.

My 2080Ti has been only running an hour yet. Hope it will be OK.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but is the FE not just as much overclocked, i.e. @ 1635MHz, as any of the 3rd party models?

Have had my EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra in about a week now, so far so good.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Correct me if I’m wrong, but is the FE not just as much overclocked, i.e. @ 1635MHz, as any of the 3rd party models?

The clock depends on cooling mostly and yes, the 2xxx FE cards are clocked closer to AIB cards then the 1xxx were. Thanks to the dual-fan setup likely.

The binning that is done with the GPU dies is made for determining which circuits are OK and which are BAD, if it will be a 2060, 2080 or ti.

As long as the number of cores needed is reached, it will be a this or that card,

ala 3850 cudacores or more = this card, 2500-2800 cuda cores = that card.

ALL dies differ, not 2 GPU dies are the same. Ther eis a nice YT vid from Nvidia explaining all this, unfortunately I dont have the link anymore. Think it was with Linus.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

interesting article indeed

I am biased on how I shall think about it, it's good & bad in 1.

Dependent on the chip lottery with the FE you can happily increase the OC another 200Mhz across the complete range using MSI afterburner beta with NVidea's auto OC functionality without increasing the power and temp threshholds. If you do increase these you're probably get more.

Manually increase the memory OC by a conservative 600Mhz and you are good to go without running too hot. Sound in a decent case with the new variable twin fans should not be an issue.

2080ti10.jpg

SIGBLOCK.png

Dependent on the chip lottery with the FE you can happily increase the OC another 200Mhz across the complete range using MSI afterburner beta with NVidea's auto OC functionality without increasing the power and temp threshholds. If you do increase these you're probably get more.

Manually increase the memory OC by a conservative 600Mhz and you are good to go without running too hot. Sound in a decent case with the new variable twin fans should not be an issue.

2080ti10.jpg

hehe I love how you use the word "Conservative" to describe that kind of memory clockspeed increase. Which my 2080Ti doesn't seem to mind either. But, that's 15200Mhz effective right there.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Thanks for all your comments guys. I'm still confused however. I still can'e see why buying the FE at £1100 with it's good looking cooling and overclock speed as high as any other variation, is not a good choice compared to the 3rd party offerings at £300-400 more.

Depends on use and your opinion, nothing to be confused about.

Compared to previous NVidea series, the 20** series introduced twin variable fans and a vapour cooling chamber as against the noisy single blowers of the past. NVidea in conjunction with 3rd party developers released code for incorporating into software that will automatically give you a reliable OC over the entire range for an individual chip ON TOP of the factory OC.

3rd party card makers have invested a lot into producing more efficient cooling systems which allows the OC to be even higher to give a few extra FPS for sustained periods and reducing fan speeds and consequently noise when not loaded.

Traditionally, in the past, pricing of these 3rd part cards has not been significantly higher than the FE.

Currently, in the UK at least, many versions are being offered at £200 - 400 above the stable priced NVidea FE version. These 3rd party prices are often variable both up or down and many are preorder only. I'm sure it will settle down in time.

If you want a 20**, you just have to make up your mind which one.

Personally FOR MY NEEDS any UK 3rd party card at today's prices the performance gain did not warrant the additional cost and I acted accordingly.

I'm sure for many others these 3rd party cards do... we are all different and have different requirements.

SIGBLOCK.png

Thanks for that. I feel less confused!

The FE cards are ocing just as high if not higher than more expensive AIB cards on air. No reason I've seen to buy AIB except you can flash a secondary bios on some that will unlock more voltage without risk of bricking your card if it fails (FE only has one bios from what I've read). That would be useful on liquid cooling to really push the card.

I'm at +176 core and +450mem on my FE 2080ti. DCS doesn't like any overclock on the card at all (even lower oc) and crashes, but I haven't had a problem in any other game.

3800X, X570, 32GB 3600, RTX 2080Ti, SSD, Odyssey+ VR

In response to the OP - there might be only one thing really to consider when looking at buying nvidia brand or some other brand without taking into consideration overclocking and that's the RMA process.

IMO EVGA can't be beat when it comes to customer service in the hardware manufacturing business. The ONE time i had to rma a card I had my replacement within a week and a half, pretty much no questions asked. Thats from the time I shipped them the DOA card, to the time I got a new one, living on the other side of the country. That was the card I upgraded from.

Other than that models like the Strix from Asus and the FTW3 from EVGA are using custom PCB's that have switchable bios and perhaps other uniquities, like the FTW3 having a 150% power target with 19 power phases if you are looking for ultra enthusiast level extremes in overclocking. (This equates to like 373w draw >.<) The FTW 3 also includes temperature sensors for VRMs, memory, and pretty much every component on the PCB, where most cards just tell you about the gpu.

That being said - EVGA in their forums has a download link for an updated bios for XC Ultra users..which increases the power target from 120% to 130%, which is awesome for someone like me who bought the XC Ultra and decided to OC. Which is another factor separating an AIB card from the FE model with 120% (maybe 122%)? power target.

I'm running +104 mhz on core clock and +607mhz on the memory clock which = +1214mhz effective memory OC. So 1754 boost clock, which actually gets me up to like 2050-2070 boost when gaming, starts to throttle slightly because it hits 60C with 100% fanspeed, which I may eventually watercool my card to prevent that. Completely stable, even in DCS. I would have rounded off to +105 and +600 but the sliders in EVGA Precision x1 are hard to be "precise" with. But I didn't touch the voltage slider, just the power target slider. There may be room to push the core clock further, but I'm comfortable here.

The FE 2080Ti is closer to AIB cards than ever though.. if you're okay with how they handle warranty issues should something go wrong. Which, looking at the geforce forums FE models seem to be having more issues than other brands. How much of that has to do with the end user is up for speculation in my book. But out of the box, there's only about 15mhz boost clock difference between the FE and EVGA XC models, between 15-30mhz boost clock with certain Asus models. The FTW3 is in a league of its own @ $1349USD and EVGA's manhandling of the turing gpu.

YMMV on the OC, but I feel like I got a nice overclocker myself. Not regretting the choice coming from a 980Ti at all given my gpu hungry monitor and VR headset. Although I almost bit the bullet on a 1080Ti and a 32gb kit of ram >.< and couldn't with the 2080Ti's pricetag. But I'll get the ram eventually anyway.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Thanks a lot Headwarp for that detailed response.

I fully understand the fascination with pushing hardware to new limits, and over the years I have played around with GPUs to get the max out of them. However, I began to feel that in practical terms, the effect on actual game performance- as opposed to achieving a new benchmark result - was minimal. A few fps gain at best. So, I gave up with the OC obsession some time ago.

What actual effect would you say you are seeing in DCS, for example, with your current settings?