How do I use autopilot?

Gunhawk

Hi,

I have trouble to engage the Autopilot. Though I have watched the tutorials, read the Manual and followed the steps (set Course, Course is shown in the Bottom left of coloured map DDI Display, clicked on HSEL and got it shown enabledd (colon) and enable the AP with ON/OF button, all I get is a slight bank to the left forever rather than a stop and follow the Course.

Any help really appreaciated

Thanks in Advance

Gunhawk

Course and heading are different things - the heading select button is to the top left of the middle screen (course select is top right). Press and hold the heading button, then set a heading on the UFC, then engage HSEL (you don't need to press on/off).

There is not yet an AP mode that will follow a flight plan, if that's what you were hoping.

Try moving the heading switch after engaging AP

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Thats what I did. I what somewhat experiencing a bank angle may be subject to trim. However, I can't verify autopilot to work. When turning the heading selector knob I would expect the hornet with engaged HSEL autopilot to bank until the selected heading is reached and then level. For me it seem to continue the bank level forever.

Is there a clear indication etc. for seeing that autopilot is really on? Something like a flag in HUD or so.

You can see the two : next to what you have selected, here I have hold altitude, auto throttle and heading hold on.

When turning the heading selector knob I would expect the hornet with engaged HSEL autopilot to bank

Turning the heading selector knob?

It's a switch, what knob are you taking about.

attachment.php?attachmentid=186048&d=1527846065

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

yes this is what I meant. This switch is where I select the headings and I would expect the the hornet to bank until it reaches the selected heading then stop banking further. For me it banks forever so actually running in circles.

Does this ATC in Hud means autopilot on or just auto-throttle and maybe autopilot only works with auto-throttle? I do some further tests but this actually is driving me nuts.

Unless some bug has cropped up this shouldn't be the case, simple steps...

You can engage Att / Baro just to keep things steady while you go heads down.

Hold your HDG switch left right for a second or so, when HSEL comes up on the UFC type in the desired heading and press Ent.

Then go back to A/P and select HSEL, this should then command the requested turn to heading, the aircraft will roll out onto desired heading. There are different ways you can use this and its about finding out which work flow works best for you. For example if you select HSEL prior to heading input the jet will start the turn straight away, this can be useful if you need to command an immediate turn on A/P without prior setup. Its up to you then if you hold the hdg switch down for desired heading or enter it on the UFC. As i say all about work flow and finding out what works best for you in certain situations. I prefer to use ATT hold, then set up the turn ahead of time, switching to HSEL when i hit my time/waypoint etc.

Edited by Shadow.D.

So by reading this I can definitively confirm this not working for me. Even if I have managed to get the colons for HSEL and BARO the hornet does not deviate from a levelled heading when changing it via the selector switch. In addtion, a bank with the HSEL selected will not stop when the selected heading value is reached and continue to bank instead. The attitude hold seem to function however as clicking on that would result in a pitch Adjustment as desired.

Not sure what to do then.

Btw I am using the Beta Version with an X52 FCS System

Edited by Gunhawk

OK, will test this again setting a deadzone. In addition I might have two other sticks I could potentially try out. However, I the joystick is causing a disengage because of delivering small inputs whilst hands off, wouldn't this normally result in a visual feedback i.e. the colons would disappear? In my case that wasn't the case though.

I just wanted to add, that the past 2 updates have resulted in some joystick keys being used 2-3 times in the hornet making them react against each other.

Example after the update your trigger button was assigned to 2 buttons instead of just one.

So i recommned that you go though all of your assigned joystick/trust/rudder commands and make sure non of them have 2 joystick buttons/axis connected to the same function.

My guess is that one of your controls are making the problem for you and sending the wrong signal and that is turn off your autopilot or is responsible for it not working.

check the joystick buttons assigned to this button...

The A key

named = autopilot nose wheel stearing (disengage ) paddle

You only need 1 joystick button for this feature.. ALso check that your trust axis or rudder axis is not assigned to this "button" either.

if they are, then that is properbly you problem.

It could be everytime you move the rudder og trust your auto pilot turn off..

Perhaps autopilot is disengaging unexpectedly on you? Try setting a deadzone on your yaw and pitch to ensure there are no stick inputs happening when the stick is in the neutral position and test again.

+1 (thank you for the post by the way:) )I had the same issue, put in a dead zone in my Pitch & roll axis of "5" and now engaging auto pilot works every time.

Guys,

thanks for all the advice. I have now successfully managed to activate the autopilot and indeed the deadzone trick worked. there might be very minimal input levels that confuses the autopilot but once the deadzones applied all is back to work.

Thanks GH

+1 (thank you for the post by the way:) )I had the same issue, put in a dead zone in my Pitch & roll axis of "5" and now engaging auto pilot works every time.

Guys,

thanks for all the advice. I have now successfully managed to activate the autopilot and indeed the deadzone trick worked. there might be very minimal input levels that confuses the autopilot but once the deadzones applied all is back to work.

Thanks GH

If memory serves me well, actual Hornet autopilot doesn´t connect unless zero input is mantained, so deadzones for our hotas are mandatory.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle