PIMAX website up and running

FlyBoyd

All,

I know the last pre-order launch from PIMAX was a total S&^t show, but it is now up and running!

PIMAX will be on the way!!

https://pimaxvr.com/

Intel I9-9900k, Gigabyte AORUS Ultra, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 3200, EVGA 2080Ti, Samsung M.2 960 Pro 512, Samsung M.2 960 Pro 1TB, MCG, Vipril, TM Controls, SLAW device rudders, Obutto Revolution, Valve Index

For those who think about the preorder, Pimax needs to worn about some fault information from Pimax.

First of all, take in mind that this 700$ price for 5K+ and 900$ for 8K are just HMD without proper tracking. There is no 6DoF without controller and base station who is still under development and it is not sure when will be available and for now, it is just taken 300$ deposit. End price is unknown and could be higher.

So 5K+ with 6DoF will be minimum 1000$ and 8K will be 1200$.

On this web page nowhere is describe that this 200FOV is actually diagonal, not horizontal like with Rift or other HMD. Real maximum FOV for Pimax5K+/8K is around 170.

8K model is promoted as full RGB but it is not. The only 5K+ is full RGB and that is why it has a better picture than 5K BE and 8K because it is supported chroma 4:4:4 subpixels.

HMD and Controllers have promoted as Vive Lighthouse 2.0 technology but this is questionable. Point is new second generation tracking and controllers will work only on the second generation of lighthouse base station and they promote Pimax tracking and controllers will work on both first and second generation of the base station which actually can do only first generation.

This is some of the technical facts and uncleared issues on what I never get an answer from Pimax. I'm not trying to convince someone to not the order this product but take this into consideration to not be disappointed later and felt deceptive.

It is all on you now when you know this. I just think this information is fair and needed to be considered before purchase because it is a high price.

Those who back it true Kickstarter are having a benefit of significant lover price and have the privilege to get it before Christmas. So they made a good deal, no doubt.

Don't get me wvrong I'm not trolling this product after all from reviews looks like this will be best VR HMD on market but only if we put aside price. That is not mean will be the best buy option or fair price for being honest cheaper LCD displays based VR HMD.

I think it is fair to know this information before making a decision.

For those who think about the preorder, Pimax needs to worn about some fault information from Pimax.

First of all, take in mind that this 700$ price for 5K+ and 900$ for 8K are just HMD without proper tracking. There is no 6DoF without controller and base station who is still under development and it is not sure when will be available and for now, it is just taken 300$ deposit. End price is unknown and could be higher.

So 5K+ with 6DoF will be minimum 1000$ and 8K will be 1200$.

On this web page nowhere is describe that this 200FOV is actually diagonal, not horizontal like with Rift or other HMD. Real maximum FOV for Pimax5K+/8K is around 170.

8K model is promoted as full RGB but it is not. The only 5K+ is full RGB and that is why it has a better picture than 5K BE and 8K because it is supported chroma 4:4:4 subpixels.

HMD and Controllers have promoted as Vive Lighthouse 2.0 technology but this is questionable. Point is new second generation tracking and controllers will work only on the second generation of lighthouse base station and they promote Pimax tracking and controllers will work on both first and second generation of the base station which actually can do only first generation.

This is some of the technical facts and uncleared issues on what I never get an answer from Pimax. I'm not trying to convince someone to not the order this product but take this into consideration to not be disappointed later and felt deceptive.

It is all on you now when you know this. I just think this information is fair and needed to be considered before purchase because it is a high price.

Those who back it true Kickstarter are having a benefit of significant lover price and have the privilege to get it before Christmas. So they made a good deal, no doubt.

Don't get me wvrong I'm not trolling this product after all from reviews looks like this will be best VR HMD on market but only if we put aside price. That is not mean will be the best buy option or fair price for being honest cheaper LCD displays based VR HMD.

I think it is fair to know this information before making a decision.

Good points! I didn't know 200 FOV is diagonal, wow. I am not buying this until it is proven to be working reliably and as good as marketed. No trust on unknown chinese company without any previous success.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While wormeaten has raised some concerns about Pimax, I don't feel ill-informed after the extensive coverage of the Pimax headsets done by several youtubers. We could also argue these youtubers could be partial but the recent comments expressed by Jabbers, a community member, are confirming what has been said on the headsets advantages and drawbacks.

When someone is willing to spend such money on a product, I do think he will do an extensive search on it. Before the Pimax 5K Plus reaches the market, we'll have several feedbacks from others community members who backed Pimax on kickstarter ; then most of the VR enthusiasts will have a definitive answer to their question : is the Pimax 5K Plus the best VR headset on the market today ?

No trust on unknown chinese company without any previous success.

So, if it was a western company it should not be a problem ? Come on …

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

I have to agree on that point - received tons of complete tat from Chinese traders on Amazon - most only barely resembling the product advertised.

And in most cases, if it turns out to be a dud, there is nothing whatsoever you can do about it (unless you use Paypal and maybe a credit card - and even then it can be a hassle). The last time I tried to buy something from an unknown Chinese company with my credit card, the bank refused to pay it.

Western companies rarely do this, because they know they will have to deal with the consequences and legal action is potentially just a few clicks away.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not saying all products from that area is tat, or even that customer service will be poor - I've had some excellent service from some Chinese manufacturers, including free kit to test. But being cautious would be sensible for the reasons given.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I have to agree on that point - received tons of complete tat from Chinese traders on Amazon - most only barely resembling the product advertised.

And in most cases, if it turns out to be a dud, there is nothing whatsoever you can do about it (unless you use Paypal and maybe a credit card - and even then it can be a hassle). The last time I tried to buy something from an unknown Chinese company with my credit card, the bank refused to pay it.

Western companies rarely do this, because they know they will have to deal with the consequences and legal action is potentially just a few clicks away.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not saying all products from that area is tat, or even that customer service will be poor - I've had some excellent service from some Chinese manufacturers, including free kit to test. But being cautious would be sensible for the reasons given.

Exactly my thoughts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good points! I didn't know 200 FOV is diagonal, wow. I am not buying this until it is proven to be working reliably and as good as marketed. No trust on unknown chinese company without any previous success.

There is a plethora of reviews out there, as well as thoughts from many of the regional Pimax get togethers over the past few weeks.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

There is a plethora of reviews out there, as well as thoughts from many of the regional Pimax get togethers over the past few weeks.

True, and what was the longest time someone used it ? They say picture is clearer, fov is better tracking feels good. Fair enough.

The DCS review was with su-25t quick start mission, what happens when you join in blue flag server with 50 people and hundreds of AI units on the map ? Is it gonna be playable ?

How about if you use it for 3-4 hours sessions everyday, how it will behave ? This might show issues which were not tested/mentioned by the youtubers, like heat, tracking reliability etc..

The thing ships with no tracking stations, how much will that cost ? Will it always rely on vive tracking station ? - this is not serious for a product with that price tag and it is very unprofessional. Imagine you buy Iphone 10 but to charge it, you need to use a samsung galaxy charger.. this is the biggest joke of that product.

What will be the % of failed products, what will be the support quality ? Remember that this is a company with almost "0" past experience so this is a big question.

Why they didn't choose a few backers and give them units for extensive home usage and testing until the product is finished, but instead they just "hired" some youyubers to make a quick 15 minutes test and review ?

There are too many unknowns imho. And again, it is my approach to it and I share it, everybody can have his own opinion, some backed, some pre-ordered. Since I have a VR I am no rush so I will wait. May be there is another device behind the corner which will be released soon ?

Why to pre-order this when it will not come soon anyway and the pre-order price is already high ?

EDIT: How about their version of ASW ? They say it will come some day but will it, how good it will be ? Even with 1080 ti and 8700k I barely can have good frames and visuals with oculus, let aside with pimax 5/8k.

Edited by metzger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is no vive tracking. Its steam tracking. It's designed to be used by other manufacturers.

The concern about FPS is universal. It's mostly a DCS issue. Wags posted in one of the "paid youtubers" reviews to say optimisations are coming. No further comment from me.

Pimax sold ~ 40,000 P4Ks prior to the 5K/8K. They had their flaws obviously. But they've moved onto better things now. Hardly "0" experience as you put it. They still make amateurish mistakes however. There is an unpolished diamond here I think.

Respected DCS community members like Jabbers have said it makes the current gen Rift/Vive obsolete.

It's a personal choice, like any high end purchase. But I thought I'd help dispel some of the misinformation.

Edited by ///Rage

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

There is no vive tracking. Its steam tracking. It's designed to be used by other manufacturers.

The concern about FPS is universal. It's mostly a DCS issue. Wags posted in one of the "paid youtubers" reviews to say optimisations are coming. No further comment from me.

Pimax sold ~ 40,000 P4Ks prior to the 5K/8K. They had their flaws obviously. But they've moved onto better things now. Hardly "0" experience as you put it. They still make amateurish mistakes however. There is an unpolished diamond here I think.

Respected DCS community members like Jabbers have said it makes the current gen Rift/Vive obsolete.

It's a personal choice, like any high end purchase. But I thought I'd help dispel some of the misinformation.

I agree on most of you points. Just a few additional notes. Pimax 4k was a disapointment and it feels like it remained unfinished product, what is the feedback from the pimax 4k owners about the company ? I don't think their 4k experience helps positively for their reputation for both product quality and support.

Jabbers didn't test it on DCS and no regular dcs player ever tested it on DCS as far as I know, and even tho you are right that performance is more dcs problem, I care mostly about DCS so if it is not usable for it, it makes no sense to buy it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

90% of the items in my house are built in China, I already bet on the 5K+ being a great headset.

A person needs to keep in mind this is an evolution in VR tech, not a revolution which some seem to demand.

It'll be all good people, buy or don't, its that simple.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

True, and what was the longest time someone used it ? They say picture is clearer, fov is better tracking feels good. Fair enough.

The big name YouTubers have had them for a while, so long enough to form educated opinions. Plenty of good data provided, as well as comparisons to the other high end devices such as XTOL and StarVR.

Backers that attended regional meetings indeed only have limited experience, but their thoughts on certain aspects are still valid (noticeability of SDE, impact of the wider FOV on immersion, colors, text clarity, etc)...these things don't take weeks of persistent use to gather insight on.

The DCS review was with su-25t quick start mission, what happens when you join in blue flag server with 50 people and hundreds of AI units on the map ? Is it gonna be playable ?

There's a DCS review with the Hornet, flying around the maps. The performance aspect will obviously be a challenge, given DCS doesn't perform with the current HMD's that are less demanding, but that's on ED not Pimax - is it not?

How about if you use it for 3-4 hours sessions everyday, how it will behave ? This might show issues which were not tested/mentioned by the youtubers, like heat, tracking reliability etc..

Do you ever know this as an early adopter of anything?

The thing ships with no tracking stations, how much will that cost ? Will it always rely on vive tracking station ? - this is not serious for a product with that price tag and it is very unprofessional. Imagine you buy Iphone 10 but to charge it, you need to use a samsung galaxy charger.. this is the biggest joke of that product.

Google for pricing of tracking stations (not to mention to gain a general understanding of how the tracking works through SteamVR, which is designed for OEMs to be able to produce their own tracking stations). Other options are coming, including from Pimax. Isn't the Vive Pro $1400 all in? The 5K+ will be cheaper than that, and offers more...not sure how that is "unprofessional"? Their in house tracking solution is coming (and available for pre-order) but is not currently available to early adopters.

The rest of your questions aren't really worth answering, not that the ones I answered were :pilotfly:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

All of you who track this VR part of the forum may notice that I was supporting other VR solutions than just Rift or Vive. Honestly, there is no perfect VR so the same way how Rift or Vive was not perfect same way this goes to others HMD.

Personally, I'm still looking for my VR HMD but my experience coming from experimenting with DIY VR solutions where I was even able for the much more decent price to get 6DoF with better performance in DCS than Rift for example even with WiFi connection. So I know how much it cost parts build in such HMD.

For better understanding pricing will just give you some parallel with multiple VR HMD's.

My complaint about CV1 was overpriced when it was 700$ without controllers and just one base tracking cam. Soon after Rift drop prices on what they promise before CV1 come to market as 400$ target price. Today Rift is still a valuable option with controllers and two cams for better room scaling tracking for just 400$. Remember that price.

Vive PRO is a bad example of overpricing. I don't know why maybe they want to sell it as professional equipment and if this is the case you can't expect consumer market price because you don't pay mass product for consumers who just want personal fun. If you buy it for business then this price is an investment so you don't have another choice than buy it because you will earn your investment back true exploitation. But anyway Vive PRO will lover price sooner or later and reach normal Vive level soon and be a full consumer product.

Samsung Odessey+ is a positive example where new advanced model inherits old one and keep the price. The new model is 499$ as it was in the past.

For me, this is still best buy option no matter on FOV disadvantage compering with Pimax5K+. This is an example of the fair price to the consumer market with a decent profit for the developer. It is a balanced and fair price and gives you the most performance per $.

Unfortunately, Pimax follows the bad example from consumer market we could see in last year in multiple areas where is obvious how some companies love that crypto mining fiver and now trying to keep high prices as long as possible even it is not justified. This prices are artificial and will be leveled in some normal range sooner or later so we just have to be patient and not buying immediately whatever new is shown on market.

To explain with this examples how and why Pimax price is too high and they offer lower quality parts under high-end price. So here is a comparison with Samsung.

Samsung got better electronics and more expensive OLED displays even they are smaller diagonal is more expensive comparing to Pimax LCD panels build in which are in essence much cheaper on the free market. Samsung also gives you controllers and full 6DoF tracking Pimax is not and such complete product with more quality parts and good brand with way-way better customer support is 200$ less than plain HMD 5K+ from Pimax, known as a company with a bad reputation from the previous 4K model.

I believe that Pimax5K+ is after all best VR HMD you will find on the market soon but not worth that money or better say risking that money because there is more question which I will not rais now because it is not confirmed by testers and so far available reviews.

I will wait for Jabbers or someone else from this community detailed review with taking attention on some details which I could give them via PM. Simply I don't want to rais some issues before it could be confirmed and all this for our benefit as possible consumers.

After all, it is your personal decision would you buy something or not.

In my opinion, for example, Samsung could produce large FOV VR HMD in a few months based on the existing technology they have with WMR. Also, Vive and Oculus are capable to do that as well if they get interested on that market.

Also, there is two other and so far more advanced high FOV VR HMD's, StarVR which is developing for more than 5 years now and that Chech company, I forgot the name of the product. Right now that products are not consumers so they are expensive but there is some announcement they searching investors to enter on that market and maybe in next year we could get multiple competitors to Pimax5K.

So my advice is to put on hold this Pimax5K for now and not do prepurchase till we see where this is going or if they will put some more realistic price after preorder failed.

I have a strong feeling that Oculus will come out with something much better (and pricier too) not later than Pimax begins shipping. Patient ones should definitely wait - and will be rewarded.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

The big name YouTubers have had them for a while, so long enough to form educated opinions. Plenty of good data provided, as well as comparisons to the other high end devices such as XTOL and StarVR.

Backers that attended regional meetings indeed only have limited experience, but their thoughts on certain aspects are still valid (noticeability of SDE, impact of the wider FOV on immersion, colors, text clarity, etc)...these things don't take weeks of persistent use to gather insight on.

There's a DCS review with the Hornet, flying around the maps. The performance aspect will obviously be a challenge, given DCS doesn't perform with the current HMD's that are less demanding, but that's on ED not Pimax - is it not?

"BignameYoutubers" are in conflict of interest. All this what I warn you about was confirmed with that "BignameYoutubers" and never got any answer from Pimax about that. That even continuing with fault information true new Web page.

So answer me why I should trust someone who does not answer or show me that I'm wrong and it is just my assumption if it is wrong?

I give you a practical example comparing it with other product. we are not talking now about performance just about price and on what it is based on.

And don't compare it with Vive PRO. Vive PRO with lighthouseV1 what is equivalent to Pimax is 1100$ not 1400$ what is the price with new advanced V2 Lighthouse. Now you are trying to fabricate facts.

I'm not a hypocrite who will complain to Vive PRO and then for the same issue justify Pimax. As I say Price is bad from the same reason for both.

Honestly, if I can have it tomorrow/next week at home, I will probably go for it. But to pre-order and wait unspecified amount of time for ship and delivery, when there might be other devices coming, no thanks.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Could just order that other 5K HMD, but, oh, wait, what other 5K HMD? :huh:

Looks like Fakebook and HTC dropped the ball, or lenses again, and are moving at the speed of a bureaucratic mega corporation on the competition. :thumbsup:

As far as pricing, that's kind of relative to a persons individual income. I mean, for someone who can flush out the their 5+ car garages with a few Maserati's and Ferrari's, and along with that, a wine cooler full of 5K$ bottles of wine, what's 1K$, nothing but chump change.

Or if your fortunate enough to have an employment were you can make an extra 1K$ on a extras day of OT, no big deal if that's what you want to spend your hard (or easily) earned moneys on.

I mean, if I have product X (like a 32K HMD, for example), and if I can sell the first batch of this product at 10K$ apiece, yep, I'm gonna do it, don't care how unsociable it is. Everybody else will just have to wait until I sold all I can at 10K$. That' just capitalistic marketing.

I'm planning on just waiting and see what other peoples think of their production run Pimax 5K+'s before I order. But, seeing what my choices are, yep, probably gonna get one. Rather go for a 5K HTC Vive, but, see my first paragraph above.

Yeah but the point is, Pimax is also not here yet, even backers have not received anything yet and end of the year is pretty close already. How long we will have to wait until we can actually order a pimax headset and have it shipped is still unknown.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a strong feeling that Oculus will come out with something much better (and pricier too) not later than Pimax begins shipping. Patient ones should definitely wait - and will be rewarded.

Hmm, sounds like you may know something but not at liberty to say :thumbup:

Hmm, sounds like you may know something but not at liberty to say :thumbup:

unfortunately not. But I remember I've read that Oculus has one of the largest dev team, and considering how well they did with CV1 it would be hard to believe they can't get ahead of others.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

Just check this video and start from the beginning you are interested in the whole video.

Also to mention StarVR is better according to Pimax testers and StarVR have 201FOV horizontal and it is 4000$ now as a professional IMAX version but they are planning consumer version which will be closer to Pimax pricing so Pimax competitors are just around the corner and already have some technological advantage.

So think twice before purchasing Pimax because your good old Rift or Vive or even cheep WMR is a better option to help you waiting for a better option.

The high price is not a problem if its worth it.

Theres always an option to wait for.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet