Real World F/A-18 Pilot Will Test DCS F/18 If Donations for Hurricane Victims Met

Bananimal

Hi All,

I apologize in advance if this is not appropriate, but it is for a good cause.

I recently painted a VFA-204 pack with C.W. Lemoine's name on one of the birds. C.W. was a pilot for VFA-204 and has a Youtube channel. If you have not subscribed to his videos, you're missing a heck of a good channel. Lots of in-cockpit vids etc. C.W.'s a really good guy. He's also an author. So check him out!:thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEodFwnfPXdkzVPJZmuzAIg

Anyway, in his latest vid he's raising money for members of his new T-38 squadron that were affected by Hurricane Michael recently down at Tyndall AFB. The Ft.Walton area was decimated by Hurricane Michael and Tyndall was all but destroyed too. He tells me many of the boys are homeless and he's trying to do whatever he can to help them out. Being a victim of Hurricane Katrina back in 2005, I can tell you that any and all help is greatly appreciated. If you do donate, let them know C.W. Lemoine sent you in the comments.

As per C.W.'s latest vid, if he can raise $2000 more dollars, he's offered to install DCS and make a video comparing the DCS F/A-18C mod with his real world experience flying the F/A-18. I've reached out to him and offered to let him use my rig for the comparo since I've got it running like a beast and to keep him from having to learn everything DCS to do this vid, if it happens.

Video of his last ride in his VFA-204 jet and his offer to do the compare if donation goals are met.

Edited by Bananimal

Bananimal's DCS Mods and Skins

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m in for a good cause and would love to see him handle the DCS F18.

Awesome Video. <S>

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

he's offered to install DCS and make a video comparing the DCS F/A-18C mod with his real world experience flying the F/A-18.

Not to take anything away from raising money for natural disaster victims (which is a great cause), but former F-18 pilot Vincent "Jello" Aiello already did just this on an episode of the Fighter Pilot Podcast when he interviewed Matt Wagner in his home.

Matt let him fly his home setup, and Jello claimed it was something like 98.2% accurate (can't remember the exact figure or quote).

The podcast episode is free to listen to. https://www.fighterpilotpodcast.com/

Not trying to take anything away from C.W. Lemoine either. I think he's a great guy and a fantastic pilot, plus a very good author. I own some of his Spectre series novels.

Just throwing it out there that a former real F-18 pilot already put the DCS module to the test, and it's available for all to listen to.

Sweet, thanks for the link! The difference here is that this will be a video of a real pilot in his virtual jet that I painted and is 99.9% accurate to the paint on his real jet. Pretty unique scenario and a good opportunity to help others that desperately need it at the same time.

Edited by Bananimal

Not to take anything away from raising money for natural disaster victims (which is a great cause), but former F-18 pilot Vincent "Jello" Aiello already did just this on an episode of the Fighter Pilot Podcast when he interviewed Matt Wagner in his home.

Matt let him fly his home setup, and Jello claimed it was something like 98.2% accurate (can't remember the exact figure or quote).

The podcast episode is free to listen to. https://www.fighterpilotpodcast.com/

Not trying to take anything away from C.W. Lemoine either. I think he's a great guy and a fantastic pilot, plus a very good author. I own some of his Spectre series novels.

Just throwing it out there that a former real F-18 pilot already put the DCS module to the test, and it's available for all to listen to.

That is great also...the more inputs and reviews the better.

I don’t know of any two (or more) people that always have the same perspective.

Even military trained pilots.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I'm in. Let me know specifics ...

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just y'all keep in mind for whenever said video does come out that Mover isn't a gamer or a sim guy. He's a Doer Of IRL Things:

Fighter Pilot

Airline Pilot

Reserve Sheriff's Deputy

Author

Dog Owner

Driver of Fast Cars

[/EXPECTATIONMANAGEMENT]

This is true. That's why I contacted him after he posted his "offer" and informed him that it's not as simple as just installing the game. There's a certain level of skill required to get DCS configured and running properly before a newcomer can expect to do a video about it. I think he bit off a little more than he could chew at that point, although he probably was not aware of it. He was going to run it on a laptop, with no controls that I'm aware of. The laptop has a GTX 970M chip on it for the GPU and a meager 16GB of RAM. I don't think a proper comparo could be done under those circumstances. Since he lives near me, It just made sense for me to step in and help him avoid frustration by offering to do the comparo on my setup. I sent him photos of my setup and he's in with both elbows. LOL!

Edited by Bananimal

Running it on a 65" 4k screen, two GTX 980Tis in SLI, 64 GB ram, DCS is installed on an SSD and my CPU is over-clocked to 4.4 Ghz. I'm getting 55-89 FPS in the sim. With my refresh rate locked at 50 Hz, Good enough for fluid flight. I'm also using an Obutto Revolution chair with the TM Warthog HOTAS hard mounted F-16 style. Also using Track-IR. The only thing I could use is an RTX-2080 Ti, but nVidia is too freaking proud of them, IMO. Waiting for prices to drop, if ever.

Edited by Bananimal

This is true. That's why I contacted him after he posted his "offer" and informed him that it's not as simple as just installing the game. There's a certain level of skill required to get DCS configured and running properly before a newcomer can expect to do a video about it. I think he bit off a little more than he could chew at that point, although he probably was not aware of it. He was going to run it on a laptop, with no controls that I'm aware of. The laptop has a GTX 970M chip on it for the GPU and a meager 16GB of RAM. I don't think a proper comparo could be done under those circumstances. Since he lives near me, It just made sense for me to step in and help him avoid frustration by offering to do the comparo on my setup. I sent him photos of my setup and he's in with both elbows. LOL!

Outstanding, Bananimal! That's exactly what I was thinking about his gaming aptitude:noexpression:

It could be fun... I've seen this done before on my old rig using the "other" sim. Too bad the guy that flew on my rig is not in the area anymore. With VR setup and center stick he would've felt at home!

Yes, I'm torn on VR right now. Waiting for a graphics sub system that can properly handle at least 2k resolutions in VR that's not built in China. I kinda want to do a full F-18 cockpit at some point, but VR would be more practical. I'm not making any decisions until things shake out a bit more in the VR world.

I was just going to check. Don't thank me. Thank C.W. and Wags and all that donated for a good cause. Wags had the ED guys post C.W.'s offer in the weekly news thread and it took off quickly from there.

The tentative date for the comparison is going to be the 24th. It'll take about a week for C.W. to get the video ready, so we're looking at a 1st week of December time frame for his Vlog if everything goes as currently scheduled. Ultimately, that's up to C.W. and his schedule. Things can happen. But rest assured, it will be done. :-)

Edited by Bananimal

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to thank you all for contributing to this worthy cause and for your support of the channel. Special thanks to Bananimal for getting the word out and for allowing me to use his simulator in the coming weeks.

We reached our goal in less than a week, so it's definitely going to happen! I'd ask everyone to please be patient. As Bananimal mentioned, we probably won't be able to film it until later this month, so the video may not be until the first Monday in December. We definitely don't want to rush things to ensure quality.

Thanks again! Looking forward to trying it out!

-Mover

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to thank you all for contributing to this worthy cause and for your support of the channel. Special thanks to Bananimal for getting the word out and for allowing me to use his simulator in the coming weeks.

We reached our goal in less than a week, so it's definitely going to happen! I'd ask everyone to please be patient. As Bananimal mentioned, we probably won't be able to film it until later this month, so the video may not be until the first Monday in December. We definitely don't want to rush things to ensure quality.

Thanks again! Looking forward to trying it out!

-Mover

So excited for this, I've been watching his YouTube channel previously which has been excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

I do have one. He didn't like it a chose not to use it for the multi-player part. You're not the only one saying so, but he did mention it towards the end of the vid. You guys would never make it in my career path. The clues were there. In the beginning when he was filming my rig, the hat with the TrackIR clip was on the desk. FAIL! LOL!

1. The hat clip getting signal is speculation on your part. Speculation leads to hypotheticals, which ultimately leads to failure in my career path. We don't move a control to production until we know EXACTLY what's what. The TrackIR software was off. You are speculating it was on to support your position of what exactly?

2. My career path.

Mover, try this again with VR or TrackIR at least. Might be more fun for you.

We used TrackIR extensively at first. I didn't like it. For this part of the video (multiplayer), I didn't use it.

We had about 2 hours worth of footage and I paired it down for entertainment purposes. This was meant to be a fun video and never intended to be a no kidding side by side detailed comparison.