Real World F/A-18 Pilot Will Test DCS F/18 If Donations for Hurricane Victims Met

Bananimal

Nice one guys, thanks for giving it a go Mover :thumbup:

I see where your coming from not liking trackIR, I have been simming for 27 years and only just got trackIR about a month ago, didn't like it at first but after using it for a few weeks I couldn't fly without it now. It can take time to get used too but once you do its excellent.

Looking forward to part two!

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right Mover! I just realized you're one of only 2 RL Hornet guys that made a video of actually flying a Hornet sim/game and not just talking about similarities or differences.

The other one that I'm aware of flew on my rig... while back, different sim.

He also had mixed feelings about TIR., slowly was getting used to it by the end of the hop.

My Warthog setup gave him a lot less hard time though. I tried to assign all RL hotas functions to throttle and stick. In spite of different positions of some switches... it was close enough.

If you don't get tired of doing this... sometime next year Pimax 5k VR should be coming around. That combined with ability to see your hands punching buttons in the cockpit and hopefully by that time DCS Hornet reaching a "mature" state of development... that really could be fun!

Thanks for the video fellas! Learned something too about the TACAN to see each other.

Not really "see" per se, but it gives you ranging which is what you need for stationkeeping and for BFM setups.

The numbers have to be 63 apart. Thus my math in public "69X and 06X." you could also use Y, which is a common technique for a four-ship (division in Navy speak). Have the same codes but 1/3 use X and 2/4 use Y so that you can easily flip flop between each other. It's N/A with MIDS for the most part.

I flew a non-MIDS A+, so air to air tacan was life.

Edited by Mover

....This was meant to be a fun video and never intended to be a no kidding side by side detailed comparison.

That's a shame. All BS aside, if after the apocalypse a DCS player did happen to stumble upon a lost airfield with a fueled up Hornet would they be able to start it up and take off, putting all these hard won sim skills to real life use?

That's a shame. All BS aside, if after the apocalypse a DCS player did happen to stumble upon a lost airfield with a fueled up Hornet would they be able to start it up and take off, putting all these hard won sim skills to real life use?

Procedurally, yeah. The sim seemed to do everything the jet does. Might need to find someone to put the ladder up for you though. :smilewink:

Procedurally, yeah. The sim seemed to do everything the jet does. Might need to find someone to put the ladder up for you though. :smilewink:

Ha! Yeah, when I first got the F/A-18C module loaded up, I literally spent 30-45 minutes looking for the ladder switch. I never found it. LOL!:lol:

Bananimal's DCS Mods and Skins

The Super Hornet has it. Not so much on the older As and Cs.

thanks for your video, i had a lot of fun watching it.

I understand you did try track ir and had problems...you just need to be used to it...like Vr that have 1 to 1 head movement.

Anyway i saw that bananimal button layout was quite strange...many people on this forum with the same hotas (warthog) use a setup more similar to the real life hornet ... the one i use for example is a series of script made by a really cool guy here...Homefries maybe you can ask bananimal to install it for you, it is just a matter of minutes.

Really cool to interact with a real (Hornet) pilot...

thanks for everything

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Guys, the mapping layout was the default ED F-18 layout as recommended by Wags when I reached out to him. I changed the paddle as a modifier and the pinky as the re-arm page. But those functions were mapped elsewhere so we wouldn't lose them. Those two caused the most problems. That and ED mapped the airbrake on the wrong switch and in the wrong direction. I'm sure there were a bunch of other buttons improperly mapped by ED as well. Lesson learned there.

Since then, it has been determined that I would have done better loading the NATOPS config as per the real Hornet instead of using the default ED profile. I never knew such a config was available. I do now though. And it is loaded. In restrospect, it probably would have been a good idea to sit down with C.W. for 30 minutes and map them as he needed prior to his initial taxi. I took it on faith that the ED profile was correct as I had never used it before and didn't want to waste C.W.'s time.

Edited by Bananimal

Enjoyed the video as much as I enjoy Bananimal's skins. Nice work gents!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Creator of:

F-18C VFA-195 "Dambusters" 1998 CAG Livery

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=213788

F-18C VFA-195 "Dambusters" July 2001 CAG Livery

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215950

Pilot avatars for DCS Logbook

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=221160

How to make a DCS A-10C Panel

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=65998

I don't have any experience on F-18's, but if you hop in a real life A-10C you won't get very far in the startup procedure using DCS knowledge. At least one crucial step was omitted, or can probably just be assumed to have already been performed by the time you're sitting in the cockpit. You'll need a hand with the ladder there too. :thumbup:

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

How do you do that? Do you have to actually look at the NATOPS and set every individual button and switch to the appropriate one?

Or is there a preset profile available in DCS as an option?

There's a preset sheet in the DCS downloads section. You have to manually map each one. https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302561/

Edited by Bananimal

Geeeez. That's going to be a brutal amount of work. Thanks for letting me know.

*turns around and shouts at Eagle Dynamics*

Can we get a preset for real configs in DCS? :smilewink:

if you have hotas warthog there are a lot of profiles ready for download...if you have also cougar mfd i strongly advice using homefries’s profile

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

What video were you watching?

Looking forward to the next episode.

Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor

15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display

16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

128GB SSD + 1TB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

Windows 10 Home 64bit

Looking forward to the next episode.

It may be a bit longer of a video. I'll try to give a bit more of a detailed comparison in my final thoughts. I'm also looking at comparing it to some actual hornet footage I have in editing.

I know you guys take this seriously, and I appreciate that. But to me, it was just a fun time.

But to me, it was just a fun time.

Me too. I have never had any confusion between sims and the real world.

Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor

15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display

16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

128GB SSD + 1TB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

Windows 10 Home 64bit

LOL nothing major I just kinda got the impression that the system frustrated you a little bit that's all.

When your mutinous wingman tried to hijack the lead I thought for a moment there that you were gonna put some 20mm into him just to let him know who really was the cock of the walk.

Nope. All in good fun. I had a great time. I never expected anything else.

Flying with Carl was the best part.