Real World F/A-18 Pilot Will Test DCS F/18 If Donations for Hurricane Victims Met

Bananimal

*shrug* I was highly entertained by these videos. I find it amusing watching a real pilot have some good old fashion fun in a game.

I wish Mover was closer to MN I'd offer up my VR 'pit setup for him to try (or any Hornet pilots). Mover mentions the unnatural head tracking with trackIR, which really resonated with me, I HATE trackIR for that reason, I used it like everyone else when it was the best option we had, but I never liked it, it always felt awkward and unnatural to me. Once I got VR, the natural 1:1 head tracking completely changed the game for me, he also mentioned depth perception, and this was also a huge improvement for me.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting to see, how Mover struggled with formation flying. So what was the reason for that?

During my own attempts flying into formation with an air refueling airplane I had similar problems like Mover and I have noticed that air brakes can be very helpful for formation flying. However, some users in this forum told me, that real life pilots only use walking the throttle for that. So is that true? Dont real life pilots use air speed brakes so often?

I hope Mover will come back to DCS one day and get used to TrackIR, because that would enable him to do more challenging missions like dogfights in the sim. It is always nice to compare your own flight performance with a real pilot. So keep it up!

It is interesting to see, how Mover struggled with formation flying. So what was the reason for that?

During my own attempts flying into formation with an air refueling airplane I had similar problems like Mover and I have noticed that air brakes can be very helpful for formation flying. However, some users in this forum told me, that real life pilots only use walking the throttle for that. So is that true? Dont real life pilots use air speed brakes so often?

I hope Mover will come back to DCS one day and get used to TrackIR, because that would enable him to do more challenging missions like dogfights in the sim. It is always nice to compare your own flight performance with a real pilot. So keep it up!

I suppose the main issue comes from the fact that he is watching a 2D screen and the distances and speeds are not easy to follow in such scenario.

He would do much better in VR I think.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Definitely. Most people don't get it because they have been used to it for years but at first, Track IR feels very unnatural and awkward to use. I'm sure it would have been day and night if he had been given a VR headset.

The other thing is the controls and the way they were set up. Not only the switchology was completely off from the real airplane but there might have been curves on the stick and throttle that also didn't help...

I respect the view of some people being unhappy that he treated the sim like a simple arcade game down the street but at the same time I kinda see why it ended up like this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*shrug* I was highly entertained by these videos. I find it amusing watching a real pilot have some good old fashion fun in a game.

I wish Mover was closer to MN I'd offer up my VR 'pit setup for him to try (or any Hornet pilots). Mover mentions the unnatural head tracking with trackIR, which really resonated with me, I HATE trackIR for that reason, I used it like everyone else when it was the best option we had, but I never liked it, it always felt awkward and unnatural to me. Once I got VR, the natural 1:1 head tracking completely changed the game for me, he also mentioned depth perception, and this was also a huge improvement for me.

+ 1 on the VR. I think Mover would have got along far better with it.

It was interesting to see Mover also picked up on the drag characteristics in the landing configuration. It gives me hope that when ED finally fixes this I just may be able to do a reasonable case one recovery without porpoising around the pattern like a drunken buffoon.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I suppose the main issue comes from the fact that he is watching a 2D screen and the distances and speeds are not easy to follow in such scenario.

TrackIR is difficult for every beginner. Before I started to get used to it, I needed several hours or even days until my brain learned where I have to turn my head in order to look in a specific direction. It is hard to learn, but it is also very rewarding, because it enables you to move your view almost as freely as in real life.

TrackIR is difficult for every beginner. Before I started to get used to it, I needed several hours or even days until my brain learned where I have to turn my head in order to look in a specific direction. It is hard to learn, but it is also very rewarding, because it enables you to move your view almost as freely as in real life.

Sure I'm using TrackIr too, It took me several days to learn to use it efficiently, but it paid off.

Also the main part with TrackIr was to setup my own profile with much more aggressive curves so I do not have to move my head so much.

VR is something I would want to try, but I do not think that I will use it until the performance hit will not be so high.

Depth perception (lack thereof), being unable to move my head and fly at the same time (since I wasn't using TrackIR that time and had no VR), unable to assess closure rates... general buffoonery on my part.

Also, I mentioned it in the video about switchology. The speedbrake being mapped backwards completely threw my off and made it unusable.

Absolutely. And when I was flying the Viper (works in the hornet too, actually), I learned a trick from a T-bird pilot. With a digital flight control system, you can "stir the pot" as you get closer. It doesn't appear to do much from the outside, because the FCS compensates, but you're actually moving flight controls and causing drag, helping you to slow down.

Hey! there was at least one question in part 2 I could answer: "Would VR help?" YES!

Well I had the answer way before he asked the question...;)

Currently I use IPD set in game to 59. (IPD stands for interpupillary distance used calculate stereoscopic 3D image) and the only way I can describe it is... You are there! I guarantee you'd be trying to grab on to things constantly on the first few hops.

Depth perception (lack thereof), being unable to move my head and fly at the same time (since I wasn't using TrackIR that time and had no VR), unable to assess closure rates... general buffoonery on my part.

Also, I mentioned it in the video about switchology. The speedbrake being mapped backwards completely threw my off and made it unusable.

Absolutely. And when I was flying the Viper (works in the hornet too, actually), I learned a trick from a T-bird pilot. With a digital flight control system, you can "stir the pot" as you get closer. It doesn't appear to do much from the outside, because the FCS compensates, but you're actually moving flight controls and causing drag, helping you to slow down.

Thank you for the information. I found the video entertaining, It threw me back to the times when I was starting with DCS too, finding out how things work.

I can very much relate to your first experience with DCS.

I'm looking forward to watching the second part today.

+ 1 on the VR. I think Mover would have got along far better with it.

Watching the videos I guess his main struggle wasn't the view:

It was while he was forced to use throttle and stick which were configured by and for it's user.

Not going to you for this, bananimal. Currently (sic) there is no other solution for the controls.

With a TM Cougar and the corresponding airframe around it...

I bet he would had been comfortable instantly with the controls - and though had even more fun.

Somebody here made a good comparision:

Even if you can drive, you'll suck the first time when you have to drive a car with a steering wheel on the "wrong" side and drive it on the "wrong" lane.

Thanks for the videos, Mover, I enjoyed them!

... general buffoonery on my part..

The last SAAF helicopter pilots reunion (50th ) at Swartkop air force base there was a sign at the main hangar entrance.

"All helicopter pilots to be accompanied by an adult"

That must surely apply to fighter jocks as well.

Edited by Skwinty
Emoticons not working

Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor

15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display

16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

128GB SSD + 1TB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

Windows 10 Home 64bit

I found it interesting that he could not discuss combat tactics at all. It made me wonder if he could ever fly DCS online, because any combat situation he got into would be recorded via track files and could be analyzed later in tacview.

Interesting. Most servers are running Tacview, so no track files are needed. I know Lex is doing some MP flying, I wonder if he is faking the tactics somehow :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I found it interesting that he could not discuss combat tactics at all. It made me wonder if he could ever fly DCS online, because any combat situation he got into would be recorded via track files and could be analyzed later in tacview.

:megalol:

Hey, I can tell you this... DCS world combat tactics... and hacks (oh, that was Lockon:glare:) would make him sweat:joystick:

Watching the videos I guess his main struggle wasn't the view:

It was while he was forced to use throttle and stick which were configured by and for it's user.

Not going to you for this, bananimal. Currently (sic) there is no other solution for the controls.

Absolutely. It must be reiterated that none of these shennanigans are in any way Banananimal's fault. He may during the ups and downs of this thread, have sometimes felt that it might have been better to have kept silent.

If so this is not right. He has acted in good grace and with honour throughout and I for one thank him for stepping up to the mark.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Feels like he's bored when he's flying on the DCS Hornet

Wouldnt you feel some sense of "this is not cutting the mustard" if positions were reversed. I know a lot of pilots and they all dislike simulators. There are of exceptions of course.

Windows 10 Home 64bit

Yes you know a lot of pilots and i'm a navy instructor blabla..

Lets go one further. All simmers I have met, and I'm one too, yearn to be a real pilot. I have yet to meet a real world pilot who yearns to be a simmer. The two are worlds apart.

Windows 10 Home 64bit

• ED Team

One a final note:

I've been watching a very bad trend over the last several months of Hornet pilots going online (here and on Youtube) to provide some insight into their profession and answer questions, but then badly mistreated. None of them did so out of compensation or any sort of obligation to anyone. All of them have a passion for naval combat aviation and want to share it.

While the vast majority of enthusiast embraced and appreciated this, there is a small, yet vocal, set of individuals that have driven them away with nastiness and uncalled for suspicion.

Three Hornet pilot friends of mine threw their hands up in frustration and disappointment. While I sincerely hope that Mover will sticks around to talk more about flight simulations compared to the real deal, I would not be surprised if he exits after his experience here.

This post is not written to 99.9% of you. But for that .1%, I ask you to carefully review your posts before hitting that send button and put yourself in the recipient's shoes.

Disappointed,

Wags

Edited by Wags