PC setup for online play

Hi everyone, I'm new to DCS World. I'm in the loong process of learning the A10C and currently I'm running the sim on max graphics and getting 60fps except when looking at the trees to the left or right when flying at low level in the mountains when the framerate drops to around 40+.

I switched on motion blur in the hope that the blurring would reduce the strain on the hardware trying to render every tree while I pass by at high speed (well, high for the Hawg anyway) but I'm not sure if that's what motion blur does so it may not work.

I'm nowhere near ready to play online but I suspect that my setup will really struggle to manage online operations. My specs are in my signature. Are they good enough to play online? What do I need to turn down to run full online play? I'm using TrackIR 5 and for now I have no interest in VR which does reduce the demand on my system.

I suspect I will need a new graphics card at some point but that's a lot of money and I'm all spent out for now.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5 8600K CPU @ 3.6GHz, 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 500GB SSD (Exclusively for DCS World), Thrustmaster Warthog, Logitech G Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals. Track IR 5 with Pro Clip. Vaicom Pro.

EASA PPL(A), Glider Aerobatics. Modules: A-10C, F/A-18C, F-5E, Mirage 2000C, AV-8B N/A, Yak 52, Flaming Cliffs 3, Heatblur F14B/A, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle and all but one of the warbirds. Caucuses, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, Channel and Syria.

try reducing pre load radius, view distance and ground textures, see if that helps any

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Your system is fine for mp-if it ever gets fixed . Your graphics card is fine for 1080p . If you wish help tweaking your performance , posting a screenshot of your settings advised .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Your system is fine for mp-if it ever gets fixed . Your graphics card is fine for 1080p . If you wish help tweaking your performance , posting a screenshot of your settings advised .

Thanks Svsmokey, I'll post it as soon as I get home :)

Johnny_Rico, I will try reducing those gradually and see what I can get away with.

By the way all, I am making the assumption that online play is more hardware intensive. Is that assumption correct?

Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5 8600K CPU @ 3.6GHz, 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 500GB SSD (Exclusively for DCS World), Thrustmaster Warthog, Logitech G Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals. Track IR 5 with Pro Clip. Vaicom Pro.

EASA PPL(A), Glider Aerobatics. Modules: A-10C, F/A-18C, F-5E, Mirage 2000C, AV-8B N/A, Yak 52, Flaming Cliffs 3, Heatblur F14B/A, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle and all but one of the warbirds. Caucuses, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, Channel and Syria.

Only real impact is on memory (and some question that)but in any event , you have plenty

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Thanks again Svsmokey :)

Here are my current settings:

picture.php?albumid=1601&pictureid=10263

I just reduced some settings and it seemed to make things worse...

How can I share a track on here?

picture.php?albumid=1601&pictureid=10264

Edited by Phil73805

Yep , there is plenty of room for frame enhancements here , with minimal degradation of eye candy . Let's start on the left and work our way down . "Terrain textures"-low-you will be surprised how little difference this makes visually , but you'll get a nice increase in frames . "Civilian traffic"- another frame-eater as these are moving objects which must be tracked-try "low" . "Resolution of cockpit displays"-a frame-eater with no benefit in the hornet-try 512 .

And starting at the top right-"trees visibility"-try 65-70%-idea is a distance far enough so you don't see the "popup"

effect , but you'll burn frames if set too far out . "Chimney smoke density" . Try 1 , and see if you're happy . "Terrain object shadows"-HUGE frame eater-try setting for flat .

Thanks again Svsmokey.

Resolution of cockpit displays in the Hornet? What about the A10C? I figured that high resolution displays would make them easier to read.

By the way, I set the graphics to the High default settings and changed a couple of things. I'm getting a solid 60fps even at low level! Hang on, I'll post another pic of my settings.

....aannd don't forget the performance options in Windows settings , Nvidea Control Panel , and likely , your Bios .

Set all to max performance .

That's right , forgot you were a Hog pilot . Leave at 1024 .

....aannd don't forget the performance options in Windows settings , Nvidea Control Panel , and likely , your Bios .

Set all to max performance .

Sorry but I have no idea how to do that...

picture.php?albumid=1601&pictureid=10265

I like to test my frames at 300 feet over large cities , under hard manoeuvring , and sweeping my view from side to side . Object is to have a little headroom , say 70 frames , so i can lock in Vsync , as i see you have . Be advised that firing weapons , explosions will impact frame rates briefly . Windows-settings-games , Nvidea Control Panel-

3D Settings-Manage 3d Settings-scroll to bottom , "Power Management Mode" -prefer maximum performance . This last is questionable contextually , but can't hurt . Bios should be self-evident . Can't help you there as mine likely different than yours .

Why is setting it to ‘Prefer maximum performance’ questionable?

Why is setting it to ‘Prefer maximum performance’ questionable?

3d can mean different things . It is possible by 3d Nvidea means VR

3d can mean different things . It is possible by 3d Nvidea means VR

Well, I changed the setting in Nvidia control panel to a balance between performance and quality and it made no difference to frame rate so you may be right about that. When I tried to change other setting you suggested it said I had no access but that's probably because DCS world was running while I downloaded Nevada and Persian Gulf terrain packs.

On a separate note, where can I find explanations for each of the settings in DCS world?

Prolly in the DCS manual , and prolly not worth the trouble :)

BTW , low over Dubai is a great frames test...

Edited by Svsmokey

Svsmokey, any idea why the following happens when I try to set max performance in Nvidia control panel?

picture.php?albumid=1601&pictureid=10266

Prolly in the DCS manual , and prolly not worth the trouble :)

BTW , low over Dubai is a great frames test...

Okay, I didn't get to Dubai but I did fly low over snall to medium cities in the Persian gulf with my mirrors on and the framerate slowed right down...

Likely a driver forcing some policy on you and your card.

Try another ( older ) driver if you run a brand new one.

DCS seems to stutter when you were in any but High Performance Mode as in such modes the clock cycles go up and down to optimise energy usage and thus less heat.

The downside is that some apps dont like ramping the GPU clock up & down. DCS is one of them. That's why Performance Mode is recommended for DCS.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I would have guessed administrator privilege , but i will defer to bitmaster . His computer skills far outweigh mine :)

And turn off the mirrors !

Likely a driver forcing some policy on you and your card.

Try another ( older ) driver if you run a brand new one.

DCS seems to stutter when you were in any but High Performance Mode as in such modes the clock cycles go up and down to optimise energy usage and thus less heat.

The downside is that some apps dont like ramping the GPU clock up & down. DCS is one of them. That's why Performance Mode is recommended for DCS.

Thank you BitMaster, I will try an older driver. I did a search online and it seems that this is a common problem with Nvidia's control panel and I tried a couple of fixes neither of which worked.

Having said that, though I couldn't manually select 'prefer performance' I did select the performance priority on the simpler user interface.

I also turned off global cockpit illumination. I'm still not certain what it does but it does seem to make even the parts of the cockpit in shadow, bright. Too bright for my eyes.

I did notice that while flying along the monorail in Dubai at 500ft the framerate was fine but the PC was struggling to set the light levels and I could see colour shades changing which rather spoiled the immersion. Would global cockpit illumination get rid of that effect? If so that would be okay though I can't seem to read the failure panel or the CDU buttons in direct sunlight/global cockpit illumination. Any solutions?

Would it be fair to say that my PC is middle of the road, performance wise?

I went to Nvidia support chat and changed the driver to the latest one which allowed me to change to the Prefer Maximum Performance...will the new driver work with DCS World? That's a whole other question :)

Generally , ED recommends using the latest driver . However , occasionally , a reversion is needed .

I personally leave global cockpit illumination on , as i find it more realistic . Google "global illumination" to find out more than you want to :) You can lower the gamma for a happy compromise .

Edited by Svsmokey

I turned it back on and with the card setting as it should be I was able to fly through the middle of Dubai at low level without dropping frames! I’ll post my final setting when I’m at my PC.

There’s definitely a new graphics card in my future somewhere, but this will do nicely for now.

Thanks you Svsmokey and Bitmaster for your help :)