Steer hawk

the front wheel is not steered, it remains locked, I use the brakes on the ground or left or right. do you think this thing is normal?
Yes, this his how it works in the real plane. Actually in a lot of planes.

The nosewheel or tailwheel acts as a casterwheel and asynchronous braking is used to taxi the plane.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

That is correct. The module isn't quite modelled correctly. In the real aircraft the nosewheel is freely castering (like a shopping trolley), so to turn you apply some differential braking. That will turn the aircraft which in turn will decentre the nosewheel and the aircraft will now turn on that radius without having to apply more braking. To straighten the aircraft out, you apply opposite braking and to stop with the nosewheel straight you need to run the aircraft straight for a few feet. It was a common error for students to line up for take off with the nosewheel slightly off centre which could make formation takeoffs interesting. In the DCS module, if you stop braking the aircraft will straighten itself of it's own accord as the nosewheel castering isn't modelled. It's only a small difference which makes the sim a little easier to taxi.

Not exactly sure, but I think it is when you get to a higher speed when taxiing/takeoff that aerodynamic forces straighten itself out. When you are at a reasonably slow speed (say 15-20 kn) and you apply full left or right brake it is going to keep turning in that place but it will over time straighten out.

That is correct. The module isn't quite modelled correctly. In the real aircraft the nosewheel is freely castering (like a shopping trolley), so to turn you apply some differential braking. That will turn the aircraft which in turn will decentre the nosewheel and the aircraft will now turn on that radius without having to apply more braking. To straighten the aircraft out, you apply opposite braking and to stop with the nosewheel straight you need to run the aircraft straight for a few feet. It was a common error for students to line up for take off with the nosewheel slightly off centre which could make formation takeoffs interesting. In the DCS module, if you stop braking the aircraft will straighten itself of it's own accord as the nosewheel castering isn't modelled. It's only a small difference which makes the sim a little easier to taxi.

This peticular aspect is something I’ve been looking at in the revamp - in early testing it is performing as you describe after some feedback from a couple of our pilots :)

Pman