Alerax's LSO AI Script

Hate to reply paragraph by paragraph, but its sorta needed for this post.

You coded all of that without once printing stuff to DCS.log via env.info(lfWAD1zFVRxNhhOYdK8Jcx2xL .. ' value is:

)? or the other logging functions: env.warning and env.error

Unfortunately, that is the case. Admitingly, this is my first time scripting.

You add more value by letting people see the code and being able to fix it on their own if you go absent. Plus they can learn a thing or two from seeing how such code is written. Just to hazard a guess lessons learnt can be directly applied to similar scripts for helicopter landing/cargo sling loading, or air refueling. I don't intend on dissuading you from making content, you've just raised a flag in how you've done it so far. My first thought when I saw this initially released was "oh cool that'll be neat", which quickly turned into "WTF" when I opened it up.

I am curious though, what are the ultimate reasons for why you chose to obfuscate the code? Help me appreciate and understand your logic on that front. It appears as though you haven't actually answered that yet.

..So yes I can figure it out, and the thought crossed my mind out of the ideals of open sourced code, but working on my own stuff is a better use of my time.

I understand the desire to learn and so as I mentioned in the Preface, when I stop supporting this script, I'll release the unobfuscated version.

This was never intended to be an open-sourced code for the coding public to study, edit/change, and/or commercialize. It was released with the intentions for the public to use and provide feedback on its functionality. The reason it's in an editable script format is because it's the only way I know how to release this to the public.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just tested it several times replacing the original maually, editing the lines using a mod manager but I still get the "*" on the after landing grade sumary sentence and no file is recorded.

This is how my MisionScripting lua file looks like. See the attachment

Furia, will take a look into this. The script checks if the lfs and io are enabled. If not, it outputs the "*". I can't imagine why, but my first instinct (from your screenshot) is that there are differences between the Open Beta vs. Stable version in the lfs/io functionality. Note that I use Open Beta and I assume you're using the Stable version.

Hey Furia,

I found out earlier in testing that if you’re in multiplayer that the host / server runs the script and writes the file. As such, only the host / server needs to allow the code to write to disk and it will record everyone’s traps. This does mean however that a client on a multiplayer server or joining a host cannot export their traps to the file.

It’s also worth noting that if the server is under spec or over utilised, (dcs.log can tell you this on the server) the calls can be a little out, especially if the clients pings are high.

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Furia,

I found out earlier in testing that if you’re in multiplayer that the host / server runs the script and writes the file. As such, only the host / server needs to allow the code to write to disk and it will record everyone’s traps. This does mean however that a client on a multiplayer server or joining a host cannot export their traps to the file.

It’s also worth noting that if the server is under spec or over utilised, (dcs.log can tell you this on the server) the calls can be a little out, especially if the clients pings are high.

This is relevant information. Thanks

So far I have done my testing in single in the Release version, but we plan to start next Sunday with a MP campaing using it. I will kae sure the server have this enabled :thumbup:

Thanks Alerax for this great mod.

What wording would you like mission builders to use when acknowledging using your code?

Hi NeilWillis- thanks for asking. I'd suggest keeping the headers in the script and something simple is plenty enough:

Credit: LSO AI Script, Author: Alerax

Thanks,

Alerax

Alerax, I want to thank you very much, the first version was very good, but this one...

Much better!!!, you make an awesome work.

I've just donate and I encourage to the rest to do the same.

You deserve it

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900KF CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
RAM 128 M.2*2 2T total SSD*3 2.5T total
GeForce RTX 3090   Orion2 HOTAS F-16EX  Saitek Pro Rudder

Alerax, I want to thank you very much, the first version was very good, but this one...

Much better!!!, you make an awesome work.

I've just donate and I encourage to the rest to do the same.

You deserve it

Colmillo- thank you for your support! Really makes a big difference to hear the community values this contribution.

Alerax, thanks a lot!, a radio call when abeam wolud be very great!

When asked to Waveoff what is the procedure to reenter the pattern?

Hi icemaker-

It was an intentional design decision to not implement a radio call at the abeam position. I want the pilots to gauge for themselves when to turn as opposed to getting a voice cue. That being said, I may implement a training option that outputs a text messages etc. (although this is not a priority right now).

Edit: If you asked to Waveoff you can do two things, either execute a spin pattern (clean config, fly up to 1,200ft, and circle 3NM abeam the CArrier) or fly pass the Carrier and redo your pattern again.

Also- with your last message from the other thread re: voice files. You are correct. They are baseline voice files for Case II/III. ;)

-Alerax

Edited by Alerax
Missed answering the second question.

Q: What frequencies are you using for Marshal and AirBoss by default?

Q: Can they be adjusted by the mission designer? -how?

Edit - PS: Thank you very much for easy up the implementation of the sound-files to the mission - that saves a lot if clicking ;)

Yep- and added to the FAQ section:

Q: What is the default Marshal/Airboss Frequency and can you change this? How? (-Painter-)

A: The default Marshal/Airboss frequency is 305.000Mhz (default button 1 for the Hornet). Yes, this can be changed by editing Line 38 to whatever frequency you want. For example, 305000000 = 305.000 Mhz, 254000000 = 254.000 Mhz. The number is in hertz so just do the math to get it into the Mhz format.

LSO freq?

Edit: To explain my additional question:

Reading the how-to "If you are cleared to enter the pattern, you will hear “[tail number #1] [tail number #2] Signal Charlie Pattern, Check-in Button [#]”. Then tune into the designated Button (Channel #) to hear the LSO calls."

...I expect a second frequency to be defined somewhere.

Edited by -Painter-

Regards

REAPER 31 | Painter

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LSO freq?

Edit: To explain my additional question:

Reading the how-to "If you are cleared to enter the pattern, you will hear “[tail number #1] [tail number #2] Signal Charlie Pattern, Check-in Button [#]”. Then tune into the designated Button (Channel #) to hear the LSO calls."

...I expect a second frequency to be defined somewhere.

Hi -Painter-

LSO frequency is the same frequency you set for the Carrier in the Mission Editor.

A feature request:

It is great to have it working for a 2-ship already.

Is it possible to raise that number up to a 4-ship flight, since that is the maximum allowed to come in for the break by NATOPS?

I thought about it, and will consider this to the list of things to add. I want to start focusing on the Case II/III first so this may get pushed out.

-Alerax

Have been testing the update and so far its working great.

Very easy to add to other mission as well.

Well done!

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

This is a really great improvement in the mod! I really like how you don't have to fly starboard up the boat to trigger it. That comes in handy when you are starting on the cat, so you don't have to go around twice.

Questions: what is the right location to put your Alerax_LSO_Script_Release_v2.2.lua script? Does it go in the DCSWorld>Scripts folder?

Also, let's say you just flew a straight in, and then you boltered or were waved off. It appears you can rejoin the pattern and fly straight in again and still have the LSO triggered, but I'm not sure. Or do you have to hit "Reset" in the carrier menu to come back to do it again.

If you did successfully trap and you wanted to head to the cat and launch and trap again, do you have to reset or request again the approach? Or will the LSO already be triggered as per your last request?

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

This is a really great improvement in the mod! I really like how you don't have to fly starboard up the boat to trigger it. That comes in handy when you are starting on the cat, so you don't have to go around twice.

Questions: what is the right location to put your Alerax_LSO_Script_Release_v2.2.lua script? Does it go in the DCSWorld>Scripts folder?

Also, let's say you just flew a straight in, and then you boltered or were waved off. It appears you can rejoin the pattern and fly straight in again and still have the LSO triggered, but I'm not sure. Or do you have to hit "Reset" in the carrier menu to come back to do it again.

If you did successfully trap and you wanted to head to the cat and launch and trap again, do you have to reset or request again the approach? Or will the LSO already be triggered as per your last request?

v6,

boNes

Hi boNes-

The right location to put the script is in the mission file itself (see installation instruction). The easiest way to do this is 1) open your mission in the Mission Editor, 2) use the trigger panel, add a trigger (at mission start), 3) use the action (3rd column) "Do Script File", and select the "Alerax_LSO_Script_Release_v2.2.lua" script. Don't forget to load the sound files.

Yes, you are correct that you can rejoin pattern and fly straight-in again. Note that this time around, you will all the proper pattern call (long in the groove, too close abeam, etc.) as if you did an enter pattern approach.

After you trap, you have to request landing again (Marshal, Enter Pattern, or Straight-in) to re-engage the LSO.

Glad you like the new features-

Alerax

Alerax, thanks for deciding to share this mod with the community. Also for the time and effort invested into developing it.

I could not recommend this highly enough to anyone flying carrier traps, awesome job!

I would also like to thank Highway, who I saw put more hours than he will admit, into testing this.

Excellent mod! Just have a question about the marshal. Does the script randomly make you circle the marshal a few times before it gives you signal charlie? I've noticed a few times now I have to circle a few times before I get it. I am pretty sure I was within the 5nm limit at the time.

Liquid Cooled i9 11900K | GeForce RTX 2080 | 32 gig RAM | SSD Samsung 850 EVO | HP Reverb G2

TM F/A-18 Stick | Virpil WarBRD | WinWIng F/A-18 HOTAS

Nice work. Thanks. I've added it to the TTI servers (with credit)

Is it possible to add a reset command to the script.

It has been reported that when a couple of aircraft start to use the commands, and a player fails to follow the directions, the script gets confused.

| i9 9900K Octa Core 2TB SSD +32GB Spectrix DDR4 @3200MHz RGB | 2 x Radeon RX480 in Crossfire. | TrackIR5 HOTAS Warthog,MFG Crosswind Pedals | Cougar MFDs |

[OCG] Oceanic Combat Group

discord.gg/ZmXEBSU

"Through The Inferno"

by deadlyfishes

Official Australian Servers

SRS: All Servers have Auto-Connect Enabled

Server 1: TTI Caucasus

Server 2: TTI Persian Gulf

Server 3: OCG Training

Server 4: OCG NTTR & Multiplayer Missions

Australian Website

AU Discord Server

Excellent mod! Just have a question about the marshal. Does the script randomly make you circle the marshal a few times before it gives you signal charlie? I've noticed a few times now I have to circle a few times before I get it. I am pretty sure I was within the 5nm limit at the time.

You should be at around the 11 - 10 O'clock position, within a couple of hundred feet of your assigned altitude, within +/- 20 degrees of the expected heading (around 210 degrees if the BRC is 360 degrees), and not exceeding vertical velocity of more than 500 feet per minute and less than 45 degrees of bank...!

If all of those line up and your at about 4-4.5ish nautical miles from the carrier at that point (as you should be to make 5 at 9 O'Clock, you'll get the call as long as another aircraft hasn't been called within 90 seconds (unless you're part of a section).

Sounds complicated, but if you get your constant rate turns at the correct airspeed in, you'll nail it every time...

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is it possible to add a reset command to the script.

It has been reported that when a couple of aircraft start to use the commands, and a player fails to follow the directions, the script gets confused.

It's already in there, but in our testing with up to 6 pilots in the stack and pattern over many many hours, we didn't manage to break this version of the script. If you suspect that you are in the process of being the pilot that breaks it, you can, of course, reset your own aircraft to inbound without making everybody else check in again. That way the next in the stack should get called down when they're in position.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]