The Big Show - My Combat Report Movies

Hi,

I decided to try to record the campaign. It is pretty fun and I am having a ball flying it.

So far I flew two missions. I am going to try to make some combat reports with the main events.

The first one I decided to do with only DCS sounds with no voice over nor music.

The second I will try to add some narrative with what I am doing trying some SRM - Single-Pilot Resource Management - techniques, basically saying what I am doing.

The first one is kind of dull, but it is an experiment anyway. In there are the take off, formation flying to the target, dogfights (no kills), egressing flying formation, landing (nice one) and taxi to the hangar.

Fell free to give me feedback.

Enjoy it:

All the best,

Sydy

Nice one!:)

I see you didn’t use the kneeboard checklist I included but some different one?

Also, you were supposed to fly on the left flank of the high squadron, the commandant didn’t chew you out for leaving the formation when you saw the bandits? :)

You can also use the authentic combat report form I included in the documentation folder.

Keep them coming!:)

Nice one!:)

I see you didn’t use the kneeboard checklist I included but some different one?

Also, you were supposed to fly on the left flank of the high squadron, the commandant didn’t chew you out for leaving the formation when you saw the bandits? :)

You can also use the authentic combat report form I included in the documentation folder.

Keep them coming!:)

Hi Reflected,

Correct, I was in the right flank. From the book I thought I'd see the bandits from the right faster... I was right! :music_whistling:

Let's say I used some "artistic freedom" for the flight.

I'm a bit pissed off. I forgot to record some more on the second mission and only saved the first of two kills. Now I will fly the 3rd mission doing some voice over it.

Let's see.

Anyway. The Campaign is amazing! Congratulations! :thumbup:

Edited by Sydy

Hi guys,

Here goes my second mission. It is the crappiest movie I ever made, but it registers the main events on mission two. I recorded the dogfight up to my first kill, but forgot to save more segments. Happens.

I already flew missions 3 and 4 and they are much better. Longer, but much better.

Btw, I made a new version of my Spitfire Quick checklist, including for the CW vs. It is available on the User Files Download page here: Spitfires Quick checklists

All the best,

Sydy

Edited by Sydy

Very much nice Video. I am now at Mission 6 and only 2 kills at all, but the AAA had killed me there in Mission 6. Have to fly it again. But thats realistic so much less kills. Better is to try to survive.

Your PC runs like a hell with 4 k i guess and the new GTX 2080, cause no stutter at all.

Very much nice Video. I am now at Mission 6 and only 2 kills at all, but the AAA had killed me there in Mission 6. Have to fly it again. But thats realistic so much less kills. Better is to try to survive.

Your PC runs like a hell with 4 k i guess and the new GTX 2080, cause no stutter at all.

Hi Gerd,

Thank you. I am sure missions 3 and 4 will be much better with some voice overs I did during the missions and the my new “customized” checklist on mission 4. So far I got two on mission 2, one on mision 3 and one on mission 4. So far so good.

Yep, the 2080 helps a lot and the 1080 was my only bottleneck I think. Now, evetything is up and running smooth. I even added civilian traffic (low) and 20% of birds. :pilotfly:

The true is that the computer is quite beefy and I hope my wife never discovers how much I invested... :music_whistling:

I am editting Mission 3 video right now and it will be much longer that the two firsts. Let’s see.

All the best,

Sydy

Hi guys,

Yesterday I had time to produce two more videos. Both are longer but I think they are more interesting because of the voice over I added during the mission. I hope you like it.

Enjoy!

Mission 3:

Mission 4 (the best mission and movie so far):

All the best,

Sydy

Good morning, guys,

This is the video of mission 5. Audio came out very low, but it was a good mission.

Missions 6 and 7 also successful, but videos still to be edited.

The campaign is very cool!

All the best,

Sydy

Nice one! Mission 5 is one of my favorites! Did you wait until the set course time specified on your kneeboard and briefing after takeoff to allow for the others to form up?

Also, when you fly on drop tanks turn off the main fuel cock so that the engine uses only the external tank.

Hi Reflected,

On mission 5, as I was hit and lost my compass and tried to use my gyro, I was "more or less" on course. I found the B-17 box flying back to England and "attached" myself to it. After that it was a matter of dead recon back to base.

I do turn off the Main Tank Fuel Cock when using the drop tank, but I am "conservative". First I open the Drop Tank Fuel Cock and only then I Close the main tank fuel cock.

I just flew mission 8 and the planes didn't bomb the tgt when commanded via F10 nor my flight to attack the primary. Anyway, I got some good hits and decided to strafe a bit. Got 3 gnd tgts there adding it to my 7 victories in the Air so far.

I will have many videos to edit for sure. I am planning to fly missions 9 and 10 this Sunday. I will be back only Wednesday after a small RL flying demonstrations mission here.

Tks a lot for your campaign.

All the best,

Sydy

Does look good going to have to try this campaign the lighting and day settings look good to.

It sure does. The diversity in the missions are pretty good!

I hear the voice actors are great too ;)

Except for the hysterical wingmen when they see a bandit. :megalol:

It's a lot of fun anyway!

I was saying this because Coxy is one of the voice actors :)

I know about that issue in mission 8. They do bomb the target, but first they fly very far away, then return. This has been reported to the devs, WWII fighters react to flak like modern jets should react to SAM-s.

Reflected,

The Voices are quite nice and I love the dialogues. Pretty accurate compared to the book and very representative. Congrats to you, Coxy and all actors.

LOL Mission 8 pilots were a bunch of sissies... :lol:

I will fly at least two missions more today.

Tks a lot!

Sydy

Hi guys,

I couldn't resist and flew it all today. I have to confess that the last one was quite hard and I bagged 3 109s over Rommel's car and eventually got his car in a crossroad.

All I have to do now is to edit 7 more movies with all the kills registered. Here goes the results:

aUo2EM.jpg

dsElQ5.jpg

Thank you very much for your campaign, Reflected. It is awesome and I strongly recommend to anyone that loves spits and history. I also suggest to follow your advice and read the book chapter before each mission.

Later this week, I will post more videos.

All the best,

Sydy

Sydy, that's an impressive result, with 15 victories! Thank you for the kind feedback, and for your videos as well. Hopefully it will encourage others too, to give it a try.

May I have a few questions so that I can learn from your experience?

- Which one was your favorite mission and why?

- Which one did you like least and why?

- Is there any part of the package where you find I could have given more thought/ attention?

- Were the briefings and kneeboard panels straightforward enough to make sure the player knows what to do?

- What about performance? I see you have a good rig and had your shadows switched off.

Hi Reflected,

1- the best were the Radar at Dawn and the Scapa Flow Intercept because they marked my teenage reading.

2- The unsavory incident was the one I liked the least because during the bomb drop it was the only occasion I had stutering and low fps.

3- Nothing come to my mind at this moment, I liked the packaged you created. A LOT!

4- I liked the briefings, but I liked the single page at the kneeboard more. I’d rather preffer to add that same single page to the pdf briefing end. I like the idea to leave it open in my second screen.

5- Wednesday, once I get back from my RL mission, I will post my specs and config. I had shadows on all the time, but, as I said, the pc spec is beefy. And I have a lot of video editting to do. Some dogfights were epic and two of them with 3 kills. I got my share of shells as well and a lot of luck, but Clostermann had it as well.

Congrats, Reflected!

All the best,

Sydy

Thank you for the feedback Sydy!

As for the bomb dropping, it's was a real dilemma. Once the bombs are released I get horrible FPS, a real slide show for 10-20 seconds. Then they explode, and everything is back to normal. I could either have it this way, or disable the bomb release, trigger some explosions on the ground ,etc...

I thought the latter would be a clumsy workaround, and would get a lot of complaints ("bombers not bombing"). What do you think about it? I decided to do it the right way, hoping that the code would be improved so that releasing bombs wouldn't cause such an FPS drop. I paid attention so that there is no fight or anything crucial happening when this drop occurs.

Thank you for the feedback Sydy!

As for the bomb dropping, it's was a real dilemma. Once the bombs are released I get horrible FPS, a real slide show for 10-20 seconds. Then they explode, and everything is back to normal. I could either have it this way, or disable the bomb release, trigger some explosions on the ground ,etc...

I thought the latter would be a clumsy workaround, and would get a lot of complaints ("bombers not bombing"). What do you think about it? I decided to do it the right way, hoping that the code would be improved so that releasing bombs wouldn't cause such an FPS drop. I paid attention so that there is no fight or anything crucial happening when this drop occurs.

Hi Reflected,

Yep, that’s what happened to me, a slide show! LOL Maybe we could mature another solution, like some of the bombers dropping added to some ground explosions. I think that was the low point in the entire campaign, but nothing really “NO GO”. Just may be improved.

My god 15 victories is very much good. Gratulation to complete the Campaign so well.

Was it all with a first try, but all the same that is nice.

Gerd, I agree. I literally was lucky. I rtb pretty much shot to hell three times, one I landed in the first field I saw and I was smoking like and Wild West locomotive. Other two, with some systems malfunction, but I made it. Lucky is part of the war.

Some dogfights were epic. a lot of work for one kill. Others were epic because there were buggies like fireflies in the summer sky. In two of them I got 3 kills. Several times AI “stole” the kill.

The best of it? Got it all registered. I am back at home and I will edit the videos. I loved this campaign.

Edit: Gerd, understood your question. There was only one mission that I “aborted to desktop”. During the dive bombing mission, I was trying to adjust the pitch and I pressed the bomb drop button on the throttle by mistake. I got pissed off because I had trained a lot and I flunked the mission right after depart due to a stupid mistake. This was the only one I aborted (really upset for my own stupidity).

Btw, I promised to publish my specs. I will do so later today.

All the best,

Sydy

Edited by Sydy

Hi Sydy

great thread thanks. In your opinion is the upgrade from a GTX1080 to RTX 2080 worth it? I have a 1080 at the moment and have not decided yet whether to upgrade?

Thanks

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

That's actually not a bad idea. I made a test mission where only a quarter of the bombers drop their bombs. Funny thing is: I got the same FPS drop, no performance improvement during the bomb run. Very strange.

Interesting... What about the explosions on the ground? Did you try with only that? I don't know how significant is to "see" the bomb drop itself? I never saw it... Well... We gotta give it a thought.

Hi Sydy

great thread thanks. In your opinion is the upgrade from a GTX1080 to RTX 2080 worth it? I have a 1080 at the moment and have not decided yet whether to upgrade?

Thanks

Neal

Hi Neal,

For me, it did. It's a lot of money but I saw an improvement of more than 40% in frame rate, Today, getting a shot of my config to post in here, I decided to up the Shadows a bit. It was Flat Only (I thought it was higher).

Btw, as promised here goes my config in DCS:

8zWjzG.jpg

And this is my PC at the moment:

Intel I7-7700k OC 14% @ 4.8 for stability

Asus ROG Formula IX

Memory Corsair Vengeance 64GB 3600Mhz but running @3000Mhz for stability

Zortak RTX 2080

CPU Cooler Kraken X62

HD SSD 960GB Sandisk Ultra II (system)

HD 3T for storage

M2 SSD Pro Evo 500G for DCS

NZXT Case S340

Windows 10 Home 64

Hotas A-10 Warthog

Crosswind pedals

TM MFD Cougar (2)

Monstertech Hotas support

Track IR5

Gametrix Seat

Asus 32in 4k monitor for DCS

LG 28in secondary monitor

That's my system. I think it is a good one and will last for a while running DCS.

All the best,

Sydy

Edited by Sydy