Pacific

One of my dream simulation/game/scenarios would be a midway-esque pacific carrier and navy warfare based in the pacific (USN, IJN etc). Ever since I watched Midway with my Dad when I was a kid I've been fascinated with it. The IL2 add-on did a good job for the time, but we need a pacific carrier war in multiplayer servers, and I'm here to drum up support for the effort...lol

Since my other dream game is kind of going to be completed soon (F-14 being released, 80's era naval warfare sim anyone, also based on a movie I saw when I was a kid :P) I figured it couldn't hurt to ask :P

Many here wish for this...I read some time ago a 3rd party was looking at a Pacific map and the Corsair. Not sure if that is still a plan though and I am too lazy to search.

Many here are much more aware and up to date than I... so surely someone will chime in.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

When the Falklands map arrives, just set the weather to good. Will be a close enough approximation

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

When the Falklands map arrives, just set the weather to good. Will be a close enough approximation

Well the colour of water would be completely wrong LOL, but yeah a minor thing considering all. and a little lacking in vegetation or sand for that matter...

One of my dream simulation/game/scenarios would be a midway-esque pacific carrier and navy warfare based in the pacific (USN, IJN etc). Ever since I watched Midway with my Dad when I was a kid I've been fascinated with it. The IL2 add-on did a good job for the time, but we need a pacific carrier war in multiplayer servers, and I'm here to drum up support for the effort...lol

Since my other dream game is kind of going to be completed soon (F-14 being released, 80's era naval warfare sim anyone, also based on a movie I saw when I was a kid :P) I figured it couldn't hurt to ask :P

i have the same dream

Magnitude 3 was also working on an Iwo Jima map but I think it has been put on hold for now.

I wouldn't be too sure about the latter: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3594801 ;)

It's also still listed in the steam database: https://steamdb.info/app/411941/subs/

And they're working on the USS Yorktown: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3631096&postcount=417

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I wouldn't be too sure about the latter: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3594801 ;)

It's also still listed in the steam database: https://steamdb.info/app/411941/subs/

And they're working on the USS Yorktown: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3631096&postcount=417

I hope I am wrong and it's in active developement. I love the Pacific theater and can't wait to experience it.

@Mr_sukebe, to maintain DCS standards of realism I don't think the Falklands map should have a 'good' setting. It should have 'dull and windy', 'dull, very windy, and wet' and 'bucketing it down, hurricane winds, and miserable' settings.

PC specs:

@Mr_sukebe, to maintain DCS standards of realism I don't think the Falklands map should have a 'good' setting. It should have 'dull and windy', 'dull, very windy, and wet' and 'bucketing it down, hurricane winds, and miserable' settings.

:lol:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I also share Bruce Killsocks' dream but mine has the Solomon Islands in it. I believe that this would lend itself to the F4U-1D far better than a map centered around Iwo Jima. The Yorktown would be nice but, given the penchant for realism that DCS has, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone woulf even think of building a model of that carrier in conjunction with the Corsair. It would probably not be too far off the mark to say that a Corsair never operated off of her flight deck. But I would not be found on these forums complaining about it if this actually does come to past. She would look enough like the Enterprise to suit me! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I also share Bruce Killsocks' dream but mine has the Solomon Islands in it. I believe that this would lend itself to the F4U-1D far better than a map centered around Iwo Jima. The Yorktown would be nice but, given the penchant for realism that DCS has, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone woulf even think of building a model of that carrier in conjunction with the Corsair. It would probably not be too far off the mark to say that a Corsair never operated off of her flight deck. But I would not be found on these forums complaining about it if this actually does come to past. She would look enough like the Enterprise to suit me! :thumbup:

Indeed, the Slot would be cool.

Edited by javelina1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I think the Solomons would be an excellent first Pacific map, especially if it included New Britain, New Ireland, and eastern Papua New Guinea. It could cover well over a year of the war and many battles, and not just a few weeks with only one battle on one island, but what do I know.

Also, why the Yorktown? If a Somomons map were in the making, I could understand. I can only scratch my head and wonder. It all just makes no sense to me.

I understand that ED was kind of saddled with Normandy and the warbirds we have now, but nothing saddled Heatblur/Magnitude with the Corsair F4U-4 and the Yorktown.

It could have just as easily been Wildcats, Dauntlesses, and Devastators vs Zeros, Kates, and Vals. Throw in the F4U-1, P-38's, PBY's, Betty's and I don't know what else, and there would be almost no end to the possibilities for battles and campaign games, including naval only carrier battles.

I just don't see a strategy anywhere in the current plans :huh:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

From the Brit side, also the potential for one/some of our armoured carriers, e.g. the Formidable, Illustrious, and Victorious, all of which apparently carried F4s. See here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Pacific_Fleet

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Outside of the attack on Pearl. Theres Midway and the Solomon Islands,Philippines. theres also the Battle of the Coral Sea which was an all air battle so that could be a sea map of anything, Mariana Islands, Iwo Jima and Okinawa and then the Battle of Singapore.

and realistically you could make It this way in DCS as seperate maps

Hawaii Training map like NTTR also for the historic battle at pearl

Midway

Solomon Islands Lots of Battles here

Philippines Lots of Battles on the islands and around

Mariana Islands the Turkey shoot...

Iwo Jima Okinawa on one map

that's the way Id design it if I did it..

you could also have a Burma /China map

Rift CV1: i-7 8700 RTX 2070 16GB 3200mhz win10. M.2 128gb GB Z390 Aurous Master. warthog stick on Gunfighter Base

I understand that ED was kind of saddled with Normandy and the warbirds we have now, but nothing saddled Heatblur/Magnitude with the Corsair F4U-4 and the Yorktown.

I wish that it were the F4U-4!!! But alas, it is the -1D, which I am not going to complain about one bit! But I agree wit your statement about not seeing a strategy here. Actually, I very much doubt that we will see a model of an American Navy carrier from WWII anytime soon. But I don't see the reasoning behind a map of the Pacific centered around Iwo Jima either.

The enjoyment will be in getting to fly the Corsair in DCS with the highest fidelity model in the business. Landing on the Stennis will just be a leap of faith and imagination! :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Iwo Jima is the smallest possible map for a F4U campaign. It's also their first map and the original plan was to bundle it with the Corsair. Thus for me it makes sense as a first step to bring the Pacific theatre into DCS.

I hope they will be able to produce some more Pacific islands maps in quick succession. Even for the entire Solomons the total land area is small compared to the maps we have now.

A British WW2 carrier would be fantastic and make a lot of sense for some European scenarios. It looks like the F4U will have to fight mostly German planes in the next few years.

Edited by Cunctator

I thought the Corsair will be the late model :doh:

One argument for an Iwo Jima map is that it's small (minimal development effort relative to a much larger map). But as always, it's a question of ROE (Return On Investment). On the one side, if you're interested in WWII Pacific it will be a must-have. On the other hand, how long will interest remain once the shine wears off?

Ofc ED --or Magnitude-- may be able to use the experience with an Iwo Jima map to determine if investing in developing a much larger map would be worthwhile. But a much larger map will IMHO only be really interesting only if there are enough a/c to populate the environment, and at the moment there are no indications to evaluate that optimistically.

Heatblur recently announced their new development procedure... program... thingy, which ought to stream-line development times --I don't recall any details beyond that it was announced-- and maybe ED will enjoy some part of that was well. Maybe what ED has been and is going through the last couple of years --the new DCS engine, new Damage Model, F/A-18, carrier OPS, etc.-- might have their kinks ironed out in the near future to allow a more steady effort in to simply putting out modules *cough*cough*WWII-modules*cough*.

Otherwise, if development continues at the pace we've seen over the last years --about 2 years to complete one WWII aircraft-- ... I'm 58. I'm not going to live forever :huh:

You can always try landing on the Tarawa. It's about the size of an Essex class carrier, just without arresting gear ;)

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I’ve used the Spit for landing onto one of Markindels rather excellent modded WW2 carrier. Not easy with no arrestor hook, but definitely possible.

DCS Pacific would be a dream come true. I would hate to have to move to that other sim in order to fly in that theater. :( You know the one who is planning to move there in a couple of years. Unfortunately there are too many things missing at the moment. The bare minimum is the Corsair, a Zero, carriers, a map, some Japanese ground units....this would take decades to finish.

• 3 weeks later...
When you want to fly a Vietnam scenario, just download a Vietnam themed texture mod for the Caucasus map...

will be a close enough approximation.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]