Request for control mapping

streakeagle

Whether someone is using a Warthog Throttle or building their own cockpit, it is extremely useful for two position switches to be mapped to a single discrete maintained control input. Instead of consuming two DirectX inputs for both positions of a switch, it is much better to make one position active when the input is on and the second position active when the same input is off.

A typical example in most aircraft if a two-position landing gear lever. A two position switch on my Warthog in "on" in the up position and "off" in the down position. With typical control mapping limitations, I have to use the "toggle" map meant for momentary keyboard presses requiring me to move the switch twice to change states of the landing gear lever. Otherwise I have to use two switches, one for up and one for down, which still must be returned to the off position to allow the other switch to do its job. Alternatively, I have to use the TARGET application to make both positions act like momentary key presses, which is horrible since key presses can be screwed up by other conflicting mappings and TARGET integrates all the controllers into one big controller that limits the number of DirectX inputs available.

Likewise, for three position switches should only require two DirectX inputs. The middle position is active whenever the other two positions are off. The Warthog Throttle flap switch exhibits this behavior by default: center is off, up is one DirectX input, down is another DirectX input.

Because most switches on the Viggen either require a separate input for each position and/or have a single input to toggle the position, I have to paste in lua scripting to get the control maps I want. This is easy enough, but every time there is a patch, I have to paste my mods into the new joystick lua file(s). Given that there are several aircraft with multiple luas for various devices, every patch means a lot of work for me. So, I would greatly appreciate adding new maps for all two position and three position switches to support using one less input than the number of positions.

NOTE: I am not asking for the current mapping options to be deleted or altered, just for additional control maps to support simpits and the Warthog Throttle in a way that minimizes the wiring and number of DirectX inputs needed to control switch positions.

As an example, here are the controls I currently customize on the Viggen so I can get the functionality I need with the Warthog Throttle:

-- Alt Commands for Warthog

{down = 3001, up = 3001, cockpit_device_id = devices.ENGINEPANEL, value_down = 0.0, value_up = 1.0, name = 'Alt Start System', category = 'Motor'},

{down = 3003, up = 3003, cockpit_device_id = devices.ENGINEPANEL, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = 'Alt Ignition System', category = 'Motor'},

{down = 3002, up = 3002, cockpit_device_id = devices.ENGINEPANEL, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = 'Alt Low Pressure Fuel Valve', category = 'Motor'},

{down = 3001, up = 3001, cockpit_device_id = devices.ELECTRICSYSTEM, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = 'Alt Main Electric Power', category = 'Motor'},

{down = 3002, up = 3002, cockpit_device_id = devices.ELECTRICSYSTEM, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = 'Alt Generator', category = 'Motor'},

{down = 3003, up = 3003, cockpit_device_id = devices.ELECTRICSYSTEM, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = 'Alt Backup Generator', category = 'Motor'},

{down = 3304, up = 3304, cockpit_device_id = devices.ENGINEPANEL, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = 'Alt Autothrottle mode AFK', category = 'Autopilot'},

{down = 3001, up = 3001, cockpit_device_id = 7, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = 'Alt Reversal', category = 'Flight Control'},

{down = 3719, up = 3719, cockpit_device_id = devices.FLIGHTDATAUNIT, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Alt Landing Gear'), category = _('Flight Control')},

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also, it would be useful if every mouse-clickable switch and/or key press was available to the joystick control maps such as this one that I have to add every patch:

{down = 3001, cockpit_device_id = devices.ERRORPANEL, value_down = 1.0, name = _('Alt Master caution reset'), category = _('Caution panel')},

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Streakeagle. I fully support your suggestion.

Every module SHOULD NOT COME OUT OF BETA until every mouse click spot is available as a joystick control map.

These are simple lines of code as you have demonstrated not involving a great deal of time on behalf of the developers. (my opinion here I am not a coder)

I have pre bought every module to support the devs. I believe they deserve fair reward for their effort but they let us down by not including these lines of code in the release versions.

The issue of the Master Caution has been well reported in these forums many times now and, as yet it is not included in the latest beta release.

I really hope things change in the future.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TrubshawRN -=SHREK 94=-