Oculus co-founder: “Free is still not cheap enough” for current VR tech

SharpeXB

“No existing or imminent VR hardware is good enough to go truly mainstream, even at a price of $0.00. You could give a Rift+PC to every single person in the developed world for free, and the vast majority would cease to use it in a matter of weeks or months.”

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/11/oculus-co-founder-free-is-still-not-cheap-enough-for-current-vr-tech/

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

He is right. The tech is too bulky and quality of the visuals is not good enough. As much as I like my Rift, it's still a very limited device.

If/when these problems are resolved, I'll be likely willing to glue it to my head permanently (if it's needed at all ;) )

Yeah hate to say it, but for anything other than flightsims it would have been a massive waste.

Mainly its a comfort thing. Between the weight the wire, and the stuffy heat (especially in summer) of the headset, I just couldnt play for any duration of time, and in the end who wants to stand up to play games at the end of the day when you want to relax.

Although I do have some great VR experiences waiting (horrors mainly) I can never really motivate myself to get it all set up- though I do believe that its the future!

I rarely have the room to myself anyway and theres all sorts of niggling or tormenting problems from the wire tangling itself -and me- up, to the chaperone bounds ruining immersion!

That said I do believe in VR, but present gen, its almost exclusively a tool for flight sims for me personally.

For VR/DCS (and the other sim) though it continues to get better and better and has been well worth the cost if you are into flight sims.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

If it wasn't for DCS and other flight sims I would have been disappointed with the whole thing. However having VR in DCS with the modules they have far out weighs any negatives for me.

Onwards was a VR game that I got a lot out of but shooting guns and moving around is a sweaty mess and my Rift soon steams up.

If I fly when It's hot I have a fan blowing on my head but that's just another thing to do to be comfortable.

I have to say I am really pleased I did buy it because the novelty of sitting a cockpit and flying hasn't worn off in the 1.5 years I have add it. In fact I fly only in VR now.

I kindly, but strongly disagree

Ever since I started using vr (started with psvr), non-vr games have not been able to keep my interest for more than a few hours. Whereas diving in vr, keeps making me forget all my daily "sorrows" and never leaves me with a dull moment. Sure there's plenty of room for improvement, but I never really bothered much about graphics due to the extreme immersion improvement.

Its more like vr ruined "regular" gaming for me because nothing else is good enough anymore (and I think previously one could have called me a "gamer" :P)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

<sigh>…

I would not give anyone a plug nickel for anything that comes out of Palmer Lucky's mouth these days. Bitter man there.

Rich, but bitter. There is a reason he is no longer with Oculus.

I am sure that is why Nvidia chose to put the new Virtual Link Port in their 20x cards now for VR.

Not!

I am sure that is why Oculus continues to develop VR devices, as well as fund big titles for their entire platform.

Not!

Which btw, I am rocking that new Virtual Link port with all my Rift setup plugged into it now.

:thumbup:

I am sure that is why Steam continues to develop and improve SteamVR.

Not.

I am sure that is why Samsung just introduce a new version of the Odyssey already, with the +.

Between TechCrunch and Lucky, I have to wonder if they even want VR to continue to succeed.

Why do people feel the need to even spread this trash. Especially those that do not even do VR.

Let's try to deal with what we do know gang.

And yes, as I am sure most are aware I am a big fan of VR, would not game without it, and enjoy very much the complete overall experience ( to include non-flight games also). I use the darn thing pretty much daily, since Jan 2017.

Ok nuff soapbox, back to my awesome VR gaming!!

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

<sigh>…

I would not give anyone a plug nickel for anything that comes out of Palmer Lucky's mouth these days. Bitter man there.

Rich, but bitter. There is a reason he is no longer with Oculus.

I am sure that is why Nvidia chose to put the new Virtual Link Port in their 20x cards now for VR.

Not!

I am sure that is why Oculus continues to develop VR devices, as well as fund big titles for their entire platform.

Not!

Which btw, I am rocking that new Virtual Link port with all my Rift setup plugged into it now.

:thumbup:

I am sure that is why Steam continues to develop and improve SteamVR.

Not.

I am sure that is why Samsung just introduce a new version of the Odyssey already, with the +.

Between TechCrunch and Lucky, I have to wonder if they even want VR to continue to succeed.

Why do people feel the need to even spread this trash. Especially those that do not even do VR.

Let's try to deal with what we do know gang.

And yes, as I am sure most are aware I am a big fan of VR, would not game without it, and enjoy very much the complete overall experience ( to include non-flight games also). I use the darn thing pretty much daily, since Jan 2017.

Ok nuff soapbox, back to my awesome VR gaming!!

It is a very negative thing for a man like him, and in his position to come out and say, and makes me think these rumours about the rift 2 might be true...

I've always beleived strongly that Valve and the VIVE developers cared more about VR games and gamers whereas with occulus I've always sensed an ulterior agenda (with both occulus and facebook) that I think will start to manifest itself now, as they will move away from making VR a gaming priority.

I also think by keeping it an open platform valve demonstrated that they were interested in VR from a not entirely selfish perspective and wanted it to succeed as a technology as oppose to just a product.

This was the reason I chose to go with VIVE from day one, as I never liked occulus. Don't trust them and never will.

But dont despair man, others will take the tech and run with it. Of that I have no doubt.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I kindly, but strongly disagree

Ever since I started using vr (started with psvr), non-vr games have not been able to keep my interest for more than a few hours. Whereas diving in vr, keeps making me forget all my daily "sorrows" and never leaves me with a dull moment. Sure there's plenty of room for improvement, but I never really bothered much about graphics due to the extreme immersion improvement.

Its more like vr ruined "regular" gaming for me because nothing else is good enough anymore (and I think previously one could have called me a "gamer" :P)

How long have you had VR man? I should give it more of a go to be honest. I have the exorcist budget cuts, and many other games to try, just can rarely be bothered setting it up!

------------

How long have you had VR man? I should give it more of a go to be honest. I have the exorcist budget cuts, and many other games to try, just can rarely be bothered setting it up!

Had the psvr for a few months (playing various titles, but mostly enjoyed Dirt Rally). Then sold it and went for pcvr (Rift), which I have for about 2 months now. Wouldn't want to play dcs any other way than in vr (in fact, I don't even own a proper monitor. Just using a 15y old lcd screen just for installation purpose)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

The VR success is now mostly about simulators, flight as driving. But for other games, they are not long, lack the individual and new ideas. Like how many bow games we need? How many dual gun shooters or with swords? No.

Something that is interesting really are either shor games like a SUPER HOT VR, or then Chronos. Even the Robo Recall is one of the best shooters out there, and it is short.

The Budget Cut is one of the most unique ones, yet it had a serious bug in knife throwing that they are just fixing (or got just fixed) and the whole gameplay was around throwing knives...

Like where are the RTS games like Wargame AirLand Battle? That is where the VR would totally be worth of it! You sitting on the chair and going around the battlefield from close to far with IRIS ZOOM engine (try Google Earth to get the idea I am talking about).

But the main challenge really is still the meatsack wearing the VR. It is not about resolution, sensors etc. It is about standing or sitting and waving hands around after a workday, not about relaxing.

The gaming is a action of fun, not action of sports. If someone wants a physical exercise, they are better to go to gym or a walk. But people are lazy, comfort seekers etc, and VR just doesn't work for majority of people.

Flight and Driving simulators are great for VR because you sit down, you have hands on controls and you don't need to move otherwise. And the simulation is not about shooting arrows, using shield and sword or anything like that, it is actually flying and most of it is just sitting down and looking around and flipping couple switches and pressing few buttons now and then.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The VR success is now mostly about simulators, flight as driving.

If that’s the case then VR is doomed because these are both small segments in overall sales. Racing is about 6% and flight sims are about 1% if that. I personally feel that these sims would be the best VR experience but I’m probably biased as a sim gamer myself.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

If that’s the case then VR is doomed because these are both small segments in overall sales. Racing is about 6% and flight sims are about 1% if that. I personally feel that these sims would be the best VR experience but I’m probably biased as a sim gamer myself.
VR is doomed, that I am afraid. Like it or not, but VR is not a new thing. It is in fifth generation trying to get mainstream. Four previous has failed, last was at 90's and after that partially with 3D early 00's. All has had same faith, no mass consumer has found them enjoying after short period of time.

Short memory line trip to 90's:

That was time when VR was even more on media than VR is today... We just have everything better, from processors to displays and sensors, yet same problem exist, the user...

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

Rift users should check out the new Lone Echo 2 VR Trailer in Oculus Home.

Lone Echo was a huge success, and a bunch of bucks are going into developing the second offering of it.

Flight and Driving the main success of VR?

Not even close, it is a small niche for VR.

I didn't find Robo Recall too short really. Nor Lone Echo.

And they can be played sitting like many other VR offerings out there. Way more than standing required games.

I think though also I may be in the minority here, as far as VR users that use DCS in VR but I also get into much more in VR than just DCS, or just flight sims. So I likely am looking at all of this from a very different angle than many on this forum might be.

The success , or failure, of VR certainly does not hinge on driving and flying games.

It will be interesting to watch the progress of Pimax, as the aforementioned is a market they are really going after with their new units. Flight, Driving, and Space. Will they be able to obtain a successful business venture marketed toward that very small segment for VR?

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

VR is really meant for seated experiences, so flight-, space-, and racing simulations (along those lines) come to mind. Real-world training simulator enhancements with VR might also drive the market.

All those who believe that first person shooters and other run-n-gun games might be the key to wider acceptance would be disappointed, imho.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

VR is really meant for seated experiences, so flight-, space-, and racing simulations (along those lines) come to mind. Real-world training simulator enhancements with VR might also drive the market.

All those who believe that first person shooters and other run-n-gun games might be the key to wider acceptance would be disappointed, imho.

I tried Fallout 4 VR, even tho the implementation was not good at all, it is quite fun, In fact, I liked it a lot. I am just not a fan of the fallout series after 2 so I didn't play it long.

I would list a few problems I see for VR success:

1. Movement is a problem, for me, 1st person games are odd due to the lack of proper way to walk. Neither teleportation or move with a stick is a solution. A device that would take half of the room neither.

2. Affordability - now only grown people with decent income can afford the pc and the vr headset, and such people that are so interested of playing computer games are not many. At the same time, not many parents not interested in pc games, will pay 2k for a pc and 1k for vr headset for his children.

3. You can't show it to people, there is no way to show to people what VR headset is, if they don't try it themselves. You can't show the experience on a tv commercial. I have a friend who was thinking to buy it for months, and he was like "aah just a screen closer to your eyes, doesn't worth it", I managed to take him home to try it, the next day he ordered new GPU and Oculus rift.

4. Cost. It is a new technology and developing is very expensive, you develop for years and during that time no income is generated and because of the above, companies are never sure if they will even be able to cover the cost let aside profit.

From the positive side, both Oculus and Pimax kickstarters were successful, so public shows that there is an interest. May be if only the price of the GPU/headset was more affordable, it might go to public. But the cost of 1500 euros for GPU and 1000 for headset, I think it will fail. Only time will show.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For a price point, we need to remember that DCS is special. Most VR titles work well with GTX 1050-1060 cards, or generation older GTX 960-970.

An computer for great VR experience is in 800-900€ price range (experience to build such setups) but you don't go VR in DCS for that.

Ad there the VR setup (HMD + controllers + 3x sensors + extra long cables) and it is about 550€ at max.

BUT!

Limiting factor is again something that you can't buy, a large space. 2x2 meters as good minimum is something people don't have in many room. So it becomes standing still gaming, not so nice.

Ie play robo recall in a 5x7 meter space and you can walk freely nicely (what cable allows, if not wireless) and teleportation ain't immersion breaker as it is part of the game lore. That is why robo recall is special kind that it doesn't break illusion of being a special robot capable short range teleportation. As if you would be able in real world teleport, you would do that fairly lot, from room to room, crossing a street, climbing vertically etc.

But it doesn't work in all games. The lore, story and all needs to support that idea.

And that is why DCS works so great as you sit in aircraft, just like in chair. That is the huge immersion creator. Your body is in sync with the cockpit.

And why having stick centered is a must, having a throttle on same location is a must. And Oculus hand controllers really make immersion greater, far more than a mouse! Those who use mode in VR, doesn't know the immersion to required raise hands around cockpits. No extra bindings than what HOTAS really has etc.

The creation of the immersion is very elegant process.

Own body and virtual needs to be synced and match the story and lore.

Difficult to do really, but simulators just does it more easily.

That is why VR doesn't work for every title. Every genre or every story.

It is own unique process of creating a graphical and interactive novel, what can't be just slapped on everything.

Why VR can't ever come as popular as TV or monitor gaming.

And why it stays so niche that it can just silently die...

Too much hype and so happens more quickly.

There are amazing and great VR titles, but they are few, like a dozen. And DCS is one of those.

VR is like trying to sell a lightpistol for FPS gamers, try to tell it is better than a mouse...

But make a game of duck hunting for a VR... And you don't miss the mouse, at all.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

For a price point, we need to remember that DCS is special. Most VR titles work well with GTX 1050-1060 cards, or generation older GTX 960-970.

An computer for great VR experience is in 800-900€ price range (experience to build such setups) but you don't go VR in DCS for that.

Ad there the VR setup (HMD + controllers + 3x sensors + extra long cables) and it is about 550€ at max.

BUT!

Limiting factor is again something that you can't buy, a large space. 2x2 meters as good minimum is something people don't have in many room. So it becomes standing still gaming, not so nice.

Ie play robo recall in a 5x7 meter space and you can walk freely nicely (what cable allows, if not wireless) and teleportation ain't immersion breaker as it is part of the game lore. That is why robo recall is special kind that it doesn't break illusion of being a special robot capable short range teleportation. As if you would be able in real world teleport, you would do that fairly lot, from room to room, crossing a street, climbing vertically etc.

But it doesn't work in all games. The lore, story and all needs to support that idea.

And that is why DCS works so great as you sit in aircraft, just like in chair. That is the huge immersion creator. Your body is in sync with the cockpit.

And why having stick centered is a must, having a throttle on same location is a must. And Oculus hand controllers really make immersion greater, far more than a mouse! Those who use mode in VR, doesn't know the immersion to required raise hands around cockpits. No extra bindings than what HOTAS really has etc.

The creation of the immersion is very elegant process.

Own body and virtual needs to be synced and match the story and lore.

Difficult to do really, but simulators just does it more easily.

That is why VR doesn't work for every title. Every genre or every story.

It is own unique process of creating a graphical and interactive novel, what can't be just slapped on everything.

Why VR can't ever come as popular as TV or monitor gaming.

And why it stays so niche that it can just silently die...

Too much hype and so happens more quickly.

There are amazing and great VR titles, but they are few, like a dozen. And DCS is one of those.

VR is like trying to sell a lightpistol for FPS gamers, try to tell it is better than a mouse...

But make a game of duck hunting for a VR... And you don't miss the mouse, at all.

--

What you say is true and this is why Oculus is aiming for a stand alone VR devices rather than PC VR. Such simple games are achievable on a stand alone VR and are more affordable for the parents to buy for their children, compared it to something like nintendo wii for example. They will be mobile, easy to use, no need of expensive PC (900 euro is still not cheap pc). This type of customers will not complain about few degrees of FOV or too much clarity to spot small numbers on the instrument panels. This is why oculus is going this way.

For us, sim gamers, we need much more high end device but at the same time, developing such device is may be way too expensive and revenue is questionable, so companies are not motivated to go this way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

we need VR porn.

get that and every man will suddenly own a HMD..

how the internet funded itself in the early days of dial up.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

VR porn won’t replace 2D porn for me for the simple reason that I don’t watch porn movies but surf for porn, meaning as many woman as I can possibly see in one erm... sitting.

------------

I'm disabled - VR is almost a life-saver for me (at least,a sanity saver).

Fortunately, flying and driving can be done seated (although both are still a strain) as well as Elite, but when I feel up to it and venture into games like Serious Sam in VR, it is just massive, massive fun and I can't get rid of the smile on my face.

It's such a shame those games are really only viable in roomscale - same with Onward, Plavlov VR,and Drop Dead.

Fortunately, some of those can be played sitting down, with limitations. Like Doom (the excellent VR mod), In Death and Drop Deap, as well as Gun Club - but I've been gaming since the early 80's (well if we include 'Pong' - since the 70's) and there has been nothing even close to what VR brings to the table.

So the resolution isn't on a par with a 4k monitor - who the hell cares? It's just an awesome experience. To me, the naysayers are just sad people who need to dig themselves a deep hole and jump in it. See the wood and the trees, fer chrisssakes!

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I'm disabled - VR is almost a life-saver for me (at least,a sanity saver).

Fortunately, flying and driving can be done seated (although both are still a strain) as well as Elite, but when I feel up to it and venture into games like Serious Sam in VR, it is just massive, massive fun and I can't get rid of the smile on my face.

It's such a shame those games are really only viable in roomscale - same with Onward, Plavlov VR,and Drop Dead.

Fortunately, some of those can be played sitting down, with limitations. Like Doom (the excellent VR mod), In Death and Drop Deap, as well as Gun Club - but I've been gaming since the early 80's (well if we include 'Pong' - since the 70's) and there has been nothing even close to what VR brings to the table.

So the resolution isn't on a par with a 4k monitor - who the hell cares? It's just an awesome experience. To me, the naysayers are just sad people who need to dig themselves a deep hole and jump in it. See the wood for the trees, fer chrisssakes!

Same here being disabled.

VR has been a huge blessing for me.

Don B

Maybe you two would like to know that some of us"naysayers" know what we are talking about, as some of us are using those VR systems among disabled as seniors to help them to experience things they otherway can't.

VR is excellent example to help seniors from institutionalization when they are forced to go in hospital (like a broken hip after a fall) and that can happen in couple weeks, where the VR is helping to avoid that. We do a 360° videos and photos from patients homes and then they use the HMD few minutes every few days to remember the home etc.

In those we call family members to be in scene too so they get the stronger emotional link to home and don't get at all so easily institutionalized and get easily back to home after months in hospital.

VR fans just needs to realize that VR is not a great thing.

When HTC and Oculus has sold in couple years only little over million VR sets, it is nothing what is required to get whole industry back to it.

Every home seemed to have a Nintendo Wii, compared to XBOX 360 and PlayStation 3, But eventually it was a flop as people didn't want to wave hands after a while.

VR is like a 3D movies and television.

Fun to experience once or few times, that's it. Few will go fully in for it, but sooner than later it just fails.

"Now Luckey, who left Oculus in early 2017, argues in a recent blog post that there is no price low enough to convince a critical mass of people to regularly engage with existing VR headsets:"

"No existing or imminent VR hardware is good enough to go truly mainstream, even at a price of $0.00. You could give a Rift+PC to every single person in the developed world for free, and the vast majority would cease to use it in a matter of weeks or months.

I know this from seeing the results of large scale real-world market testing, not just my own imagination—hardcore gamers and technology enthusiasts are entranced by the VR of today, as am I, but stickiness drops off steeply outside of that core demographic. Free is still not cheap enough for most people, because cost is not what holds them back actively or passively."

The man who started the current fifth generation VR trend says that there is market only for 50 million users, in whole.

That is nothing compared what is needed.

--