Meatball Export

Matthew10_28

Is there anyway to export the meatball data for use in another window? I'm flying VR and the screen door effect makes seeing it pretty difficult. I'm thinking that once I have a feed of the meatball data, I can maybe hook some sort of java window display around it and then get that back to the cockpit via ORVDrop.

Is there anyway to export the meatball data for use in another window? I'm flying VR and the screen door effect makes seeing it pretty difficult. I'm thinking that once I have a feed of the meatball data, I can maybe hook some sort of java window display around it and then get that back to the cockpit via ORVDrop.

+1

It has been requested a few times in the Wish List part of the forum above.

The title of this thread sounds delicious btw.

Found the thread you were talking about. Although that would certainly satisfy the request, there are other things you can do with that data as far as plotting your position within the amber IFLOLS window during approach. Not only do you get a meatball export, you can log and graph your approaches to see how you adjusted yourself in the groove.

I'm more of a "meatball import" kind of guy :megalol:

Ha Ha indeed!

;)

Found the thread you were talking about. Although that would certainly satisfy the request, there are other things you can do with that data as far as plotting your position within the amber IFLOLS window during approach. Not only do you get a meatball export, you can log and graph your approaches to see how you adjusted yourself in the groove.

Yep good point. I want it.

:thumbup:

Outstanding idea ! Kudos

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is a good tip for Case 1

In VR make sure you are turning in at the right time and not way to deep in the groove.

Use the ICLS and fly the height bar when coming off the 45 degree point, this is a great way to quickly adjust height before the groove/Ball call.

attachment.php?attachmentid=197032&stc=1&d=1541209362

Here's the VR vid

This seems like a cheat...? I got this from Jell-O a former F/A-18 pilot when talking with Wags.

Time 50:45

I also learnt that you can reset the HUD peak G indicator before the break by recycling the HUD display switch.

Case1_ICLS.thumb.jpg.262b1fa7404afb7c7812d19e09e66107.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Here is a good tip for Case 1

In VR make sure you are turning in at the right time and not way to deep in the groove.

Use the ICLS and fly the height bar when coming off the 45 degree point, this is a great way to quickly adjust height before the groove/Ball call.

I'm defiantly turning to early in the groove. However I am turning and holding that 30 degree angle of bank. I guess I am being to rigid.

What I mean is turning in when abeam so the groove length wings level is only around 18 seconds, this way you can see the ball in VR easier.

The ICLS bars help if you are a little deep to get the height right until you can see the ball well.

This is around a 15 second groove length once wings level.

Yep, it's not set in stone, adjust if needed as you come around. It just takes a lot of constant practice to keep the skills up.;)

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

+1

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

What I mean is turning in when abeam so the groove length wings level is only around 18 seconds, this way you can see the ball in VR easier.

The ICLS bars help if you are a little deep to get the height right until you can see the ball well.

This is around a 15 second groove length once wings level.

Yep, it's not set in stone, adjust if needed as you come around. It just takes a lot of constant practice to keep the skills up.;)

Yep, I know what you mean. Great trap btw. Your advice on the ICLS is bang on. I can land on the carrier but it isn't always a smooth ride. I think I trap about 6 to 7 times out of 10 and 3 of those will be a 3rd wire.

The main thing is I really enjoy doing it. The concentration levels really take me away from everyday life especially in VR.

Not really what you're after but might help

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300900/

I've tried that and noticed it does a great job making the iflols blurryer, without making it more useful.

An export is definitely the way to go.

Actually a pop-up window in-sim would be best, but apparently not possible (or at least exceedingly difficult) as not even the NS430 does that.

There is another mod I found which makes it larger but I think it breaks Integrity, although I've only used it a few times I thought it the best workaround so far

Found it on the Mudspike forum. I don't want to paste a link in case I'm breaking the rules here, last thing I want is to get banned. You can easily find it by googling but PM me if you cannot and want to try it

I do agree with you that a separate window, or possibly a semi transparent overlay would be the best, but don't think it's going to happen

Dont know much about exporting stuff from DCS, but if it is possible to export the position of the boat, your position and your altitude, someone capable of programming should be able to create a simple overlay, aye?

Just a thought.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

I'd love to see an export of the meatball as well, though for a different reason. I'm slightly colorblind, and find it very difficult to distinguish the lights on 1080p unless I'm zoomed all the way in. If the meatball were exportable, or if the size of the lamps could be artificially increased, it would make it way easier to see them.

If you disapprove of this post, please feel free to give me negative rep. If you approve of this post, please feel free to give me negative rep.

There is another mod I found which makes it larger but I think it breaks Integrity, although I've only used it a few times I thought it the best workaround so far

Found it on the Mudspike forum. I don't want to paste a link in case I'm breaking the rules here, last thing I want is to get banned. You can easily find it by googling but PM me if you cannot and want to try it

I do agree with you that a separate window, or possibly a semi transparent overlay would be the best, but don't think it's going to happen

I'll do it. Here's the link.https://forums.mudspike.com/t/dcs-vr-iflols/6293

• 3 weeks later...
Dont know much about exporting stuff from DCS, but if it is possible to export the position of the boat, your position and your altitude, someone capable of programming should be able to create a simple overlay, aye?

Just a thought.

Yes, that's what I started out doing. In dissecting their model and the geometry from the IFLOLS according the the LSO NATOPS, there is a bit of funny business I can't quite make sense of right now. I think I've got a decent handle on where the optical focal point is to calculate everything to the pilots eyes. The problem is, it doesn't yield exactly what everyone says it yields. Namely, I show a perfect 8.1 AoA on a 3.5 degree glideslope catching a 2 wire by several feet. It should be striking between the 2 and 3 wire. I'm going to be making a video on it; something to the effect of, "Way more than you ever needed to know about the IFLOLS geometry"

Yes, that's what I started out doing. In dissecting their model and the geometry from the IFLOLS according the the LSO NATOPS, there is a bit of funny business I can't quite make sense of right now. I think I've got a decent handle on where the optical focal point is to calculate everything to the pilots eyes. The problem is, it doesn't yield exactly what everyone says it yields. Namely, I show a perfect 8.1 AoA on a 3.5 degree glideslope catching a 2 wire by several feet. It should be striking between the 2 and 3 wire. I'm going to be making a video on it; something to the effect of, "Way more than you ever needed to know about the IFLOLS geometry"

Are you accounting for hook to eye distance? The optical glide path needs to be moved up to account for the distance between the the pilot's eye and the hook. In the Hornet's case it's 16.7 feet at on speed AOA. If you're using 220 from the ramp, half the distance between the 2 and 3 wire, as your hook touchdown point you could also be running into an issue too.

Not accounting for a hook to eye and setting the hook touchdown point at 220 feet means the hook will be touching down at 203 feet of the ramp, 6 feet short of the 2 wire. Which would account for catching a 2 wire by several feet.

Just as an FYI the hook touchdown point for Nimitz class should be 230 feet, according to the pertinent aircraft recovery bulletins. I'm not sure how they set up IFLOLS in game or even if the distance between the wires is correct, all of which could be messing with your endeavor. Oh the optical focal point for the lenses is either 240 or 140 feet beyond IFLOLS. (EDIT) However after looking at this again I think you just mean the distance to the IFLOLS lights. Which should be 486 from the ramp in a CV 68. Also, are you accounting for wind over deck in caluctions. As wind over deck increases the actual glide slope decreases. This could also could be causing shorting the 3 wire.

Edited by Curly

Be interesting to check the carrier. I would think this should be setup right in sim.

I read a pilots comment somewhere that said it all.

It's like trying to flying your head through a box that's only 3 feet high.

Edited by David OC