Harrier? Give me a chance.

4eyes

... I would love to buy AV-8B Harrier. Does it ever go on sale?

Up to now, it was too new to be on sale, but maybe at year's end sale you could get lucky ... in the meantime (it's less than 2 months away) you can start saving :)

I bought the Harrier using the 20% pre-release discount ... not a big savings and a year has passed by and the aircraft still isnt quite finished .. I've set it asside, not very happy with it to be honest, and been learning other planes in the meantime.

After the Su-25T (and the TF-51, if notingh else just to get used to the clickable cockpit), I would suggest either the F-5E or the Mirage 2000 as a first non-free aircraft .. the Mirage 2000 is almost finished, but has several begginer-friendly pluses:

- A very good Pilot's Manual.

- An excellent set of Tutorial Missions: 10 on Caucasus and the same 10 on Nevada (a non-free Map)

- A free Campaign that starts-off at the end of the Tutorial mission, sort of an advanced training, with 13 more missions.

So, just a bit of patience and hopefully the December sale will be significant :)

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I am a 67 year old pensioner. I would love to buy AV-8B Harrier. Does it ever go on sale?

Yes, there was a 50% discount during the Easter (April) sale and again in Summer (July).

The next dates for a potential DCS "sale" are "Black Friday" and Christmas/New Year but past sales are no guarantee of similar ones occurring this year, so YMMV

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I think you should wait to see what a MAC (Modern Combat Air) license will cost, as the AV-8B N/A is in that.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I think you should wait to see what a MAC (Modern Combat Air) license will cost, as the AV-8B N/A is in that.

I don't see the AV-8B listed among the 14 aircraft offered. Unless it's a new addition? Who knows when MAC will be released.

I don't see the AV-8B listed among the 14 aircraft offered. Unless it's a new addition? Who knows when MAC will be released.
Sorry, you are right. I had wrong memory that Razbam was adding the harrier to MAC.

On this fall it would come out... Like yesterday ;)

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

Hopefully there will be a good sale soon. 20-40% off would be fantastic. With my age and health problems, I figure I might be able to learn one high fidelity aircraft. I am more of a ground pounder, and the AV-8B look's like the best bet for me. I like the multipurpose aircraft. I looked at the A-10c, but it's systems look too complicated for this old dog.

I purchased what I think was originally called DCS Black Shark over 10 years ago and that was it. One chopper and the hype of ED creating another a/c named the A-10 Warthog. I remember flying both with a steep learning curve on the hog. I stopped flying because of perceived sensor and weapons bugs on both aircraft after feeling like I was a beta tester. But I guess I was more like a real world test pilot helping the manufacturer get things right. But I wasn't being paid to figure this all out on my own and in the forms so the DCS folder ended up in the scrap bin. FF to today and I am back! And wow have things changed for the better(?) I am in love with the harrier! I flew Mircoprose F15 Strike Eagle back in 1991 on the computers at work at VMFA-122 when we were the cursaders. I can remember some of our hornet pilots watching me fly the sim with a good laugh. No, I wasn't a pilot--just an aviation ordnance dude that loved flight sims.

So my point being: if you think the A-10 is complicated, you're in for a big surprise with the Harrier.

I purchased what I think was originally called DCS Black Shark over 10 years ago and that was it. One chopper and the hype of ED creating another a/c named the A-10 Warthog. I remember flying both with a steep learning curve on the hog. I stopped flying because of perceived sensor and weapons bugs on both aircraft after feeling like I was a beta tester. But I guess I was more like a real world test pilot helping the manufacturer get things right. But I wasn't being paid to figure this all out on my own and in the forms so the DCS folder ended up in the scrap bin. FF to today and I am back! And wow have things changed for the better(?) I am in love with the harrier! I flew Mircoprose F15 Strike Eagle back in 1991 on the computers at work at VMFA-122 when we were the cursaders. I can remember some of our hornet pilots watching me fly the sim with a good laugh. No, I wasn't a pilot--just an aviation ordnance dude that loved flight sims.

So my point being: if you think the A-10 is complicated, you're in for a big surprise with the Harrier.

Are you talking about the A-10A or A-10C? There appears to me, to be a big difference between the two.

Explain that.

I believe that had something to do with the fact that it was not available to pre-order on Steam at all so they wanted to get it to Steam users for kind of the same deal. Something like that.

I looked at the A-10c, but it's systems look too complicated for this old dog.

Actually my personal opinion is that the A-10C seems much more complicated when you look at it, because there is a colossal list of terms to remember coming from a huge load of systems, but these systems, once you try around a bit, all work together very well to make your life easier. The Harrier can do quite a few of the same tasks, but the work process for some of them isn't nearly as streamlined.

But then again, I lately enjoy the Harrier more than the Warthog still.

IMHO harrier is far more easier than a A-10C. Not at all so complex systems but you get most important ones in harrier anyways.

One with harrier is sooner dropping bombs than with warthog.

The most difficult part really is to learn vertical landing, that is not required but can be skipped as it can be flied almost like traditional aircraft.

Yes the targeting pod is afterthought but no need to use it because harrier ARBS (aka DMT) is far nicer to start with.

And soon when ready learn more, it is easy step to start using targeting pod.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

The biggest reason i fly the harrier over the hog is speed, the hog is just so very slow.

But, the hog is far simpler to use to me, and when taken up a notch in skill way way faster at engaging multiple threats. Pumping out all your mavericks onto carefully designated (with markpoints for example) targets and still hitting the drop point a gbu is something very satisfying and something the harrier cannot do. Engaging even one target carefully is hard at times...

And with properly mapped hotas controls you can do all that without ever taking your hands off them... Orbit, select tpod, (zoom/slew around to find stuff, mark target, repeat x 4), ingress, cycle weapon to mav, (cycle target, slave mav to target, rifle, repeat x 3), cycle weapon to gbu, cycle target, align on ccrp, pickle, play music, run countermeasures and egress. And that is without any 'cheaty' controls like mapping display buttons (for harrier tpod zoom etc) to the hotas, just the actual hotas assignments the pilots have.

To do that in the harrier i don't even know where you would start.

With disagree. IMHO AV-8B , aside from F/A-18C which I do not have, is the most sophisticated and challenging fixed wing module. Much more then A-10C, with exception of A-10C CDU system. Both to fight and learn. In Harrier, its fly first, navigate 2nd, fight third. Perhaps that is true for any aircraft, but FLY part is much more challenging then in A-10C. Two stumbling blocks, are VSTOL regime handling, in-flight refueling. Fuel management without external tanks is more difficult then in A-10C, as Harrier's range with internal fuel is limited. A-10C is very easy to land, Harrier is more tricky.

As much as I love both modules, I don't think that either of them are appropriate for new or more casual users. If a new user wants realistic performance, PFM, realistic weapons employment, without steep curve, look no further then F-5E. Easy to fly, easy to manage realistic avionics, easy T/O, easy to land. Once solid with F-5E, segway into A-10C, AV-8B, Mirage2KC, or Mig-21Bis. I am discounting all FC3 types.

Well thats my opinion anyways.

My mods are A-10C, F-5E, Mig-21Bis, AV-8B, Mirage2KC, FC3, UH-1H, KA-50.

• 3 weeks later...
I am a 67 year old pensioner. I would love to buy AV-8B Harrier. Does it ever go on sale? I am learning the Su-25T, and I am looking into getting the Harrier. How about giving us senior pensioners a price break?

Hey Skunk Cabbage! If you're still looking to get into an Harrier cockpit, it's still on sale for half price until 2-Dec!! I know, that's how I picked up my copy. :D

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1