How to loft the AIM-120C?

Silvern

The AIM-120 should loft automatically at certain ranges - I don't remember specifically, but inside a certain range, it will not loft.

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

Hello there,

Here is what i know, when you use the AIM-120 you have different ranges from which you can shoot the missile.

As Madbrood mentionned, there is a lofting cue in your HUD that appears when you are at the maximum Kinematic range of the missile. Therefore to hit the target, you need to loft it to maximise it's range. This is why when you are below Raero there is no lofting cue.

At closer ranges (below Raero = maximum range shot for the AIM-120), you don't need to "help" the missile by lofting it to hit your target.

A liitle tip, when you are shooting at max range, try to climb as high as you can and while lofting it when you are at high altitude (25 000 - 35 000 FEET ), hit the afterburner during the lofing maneuver. This will add energy to you missile and at high altitude with the thinner air .... all that combined should ensure you hit the target.

Edited by greenmamba

• 6 months later...

Yep - think it needs to be a 40nm+ shot. The lofting algorithm isn't great though - was testing max range shots today at 60kft on a hot Mig-25 going Mach 2.5 or so and the missile lofted but didn't come down in time (target flew right under them). It's a bit hit and miss though, I fired six shots over three runs - 5/6 lofted, everything missed except the one that didn't loft (78nm shot tho!).

Yeah, people are saying that the AMRAAM is useless beyond 20nm in DCS and yet at a high altitude and speed, with good shot parameters, I've gotten several 30+nm kills on maneuvering targets.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I haven't seen it loft for a LONG time, I have messed with the loft code in the lua file for quite a few updates (going back like 10+ish updates) but nothing i've done has caused it to loft so I don't quite know what you'd need to do to get it to loft.

Try firing it from more than 40nm - the Hornet can start detecting fighters from around 90nm so just put some in the mission editor that far away coming straight at you at high altitude and try firing at them, you'll see it loft.

Try firing it from more than 40nm - the Hornet can start detecting fighters from around 90nm so just put some in the mission editor that far away coming straight at you at high altitude and try firing at them, you'll see it loft.

Just tried for 40nm and 30nm shot at 30k alt, neither of them lofted:helpsmilie:

On the other hand, sparrows lofting all the time regardless of distance or modes.