[BUG?] SSAO+Zoom in drops fps hard

Hi guys, after like 1.5 year out of DCS I got excited with recent modules (F/A 18, persian map and the F14 comming) to get back into it.

So, I have installed it, set up all my 'normal' settings.

I feel my graphics really bad, I really tried everything possible here, low/high presets, custom changes to files and etc, I never get graphics like I had 1.5 year ago and like those videos online.

My rig is: Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX970, Intel I7 5820K, 16GB Ram, SSD. I really have no idea what more I can do to get decent graphics instead of those 'strange' graphics im getting, not sure it that 'high' preset graphis are real DCS high graphics. If it was running with real 'high' graphics for example at 1FPS I knew I should upgrade my rig.

[sSAO/FOV BUG?]

So, the first part of this post is about the SSAO, Im not sure if it is broken and was removed (I did search to know about this but found nothing), I know its not in the settings area, just at config file.

The problem Im getting is when SSAO is active no matter if Im running 'high' settings or low settings the FPS drops hard when I zoom-in while in the cockpit (F1 camera), I didnt noticied before (noticied while recording the video), seems if I move the camera up (moving view outside the panel/gauges) the FPS increases a little.

So, Im not sure if it have some bug/problem there, I want to run with SSAO because it looks better but FPS dropping to less than 10 must be some bug/problem.

Please check the video, sorry for the bad editing, bad english and ignore the editor app watermark.

Video

[sECOND POST PART]

The second part of this post is related to the mirage. I attached the images you can see some shadow at the cockpit glass, also some video (

) which I asked the Spudknocker if he uses any MOD or the default DCS, he said he does not use any MOD Spudknocker.png.

Here with the default DCS, I dont get the mirage cockpit with these shadows but if I use these MODs (mods.png) I get these shadows.

I dont get shadows in the cockpit like those below:

missing_shadow.png

missing_shadow_example.png

Edited by By_Maximus

SSAO, do you mean ambiant occlusion? Don't know where you find this, but this setting may be incompatible with deffered shading.

Yes, SSAO is Screen space ambient occlusion, its on the options.lua, not sure if is 'incompatible' but it works when enabled, just seems some bug/problem when zoom-in to cockpit panel

Edited by By_Maximus

You're enabling a setting that shouldn't even be used yet, there's a good reason why there is no toggle for it in options menu since it's mostly likely a work-in-progress effect, if and when it's ready to use it'll probably run a lot better.

Maybe, said in the post Im not sure if it was disabled/removed from settings screen, almost 1.5 year not playing DCS, not sure if it was there before. The thing I know for sure is the graphics looks better with SSAO enabled, also not sure if the 'high' preset settings are the graphics I show in the video, it just feel strange for me, for sure I got better graphics with same rig 1.5 year ago.

Edited by By_Maximus

Maybe, said in the post Im not sure if it was disabled/removed from settings screen, almost 1.5 year not playing DCS, not sure if it was there before. The thing I know for sure is the graphics looks better with SSAO enabled, also not sure if the 'high' preset settings are the graphics I show in the video, it just feel strange for me, for sure I got better graphics with same rig 1.5 year ago.

1-1/2 yrs ago , we were running 1.5x . Now we're running 2.5 with deferred shading-a much different animal that is still a WIP . Lighting , in particular , still needs a lot of work , but generally I find 2.5 to look better at ground level . 2.5 seems to be resource-intensive as well , although Vulkan may help with this down the road . As the Hornet and Cat are only available in 2.5 , we're all along for the ride :) Still , i have kept my old installation of 1.58 , with the hope of flying the L39 in VR one day .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 11 months later...

Bump up for this old thread - thought I'd revisit SSAO to see how it performs with the latest DCS openbeta, I'm really pleased to say it performs quite nicely now and looks very good too, the FPS drop is negligible and the effect although subtle does a good job at shading those areas that should be shaded :thumbup:

I had it running during my Twitch stream earlier tonight, alot depends on how keen an eye you have for details but I can definitely see it working

Bump up for this old thread - thought I'd revisit SSAO to see how it performs with the latest DCS openbeta, I'm really pleased to say it performs quite nicely now and looks very good too, the FPS drop is negligible and the effect although subtle does a good job at shading those areas that should be shaded :thumbup:

I had it running during my Twitch stream earlier tonight, alot depends on how keen an eye you have for details but I can definitely see it working

cool... did you switch it on via graphics.lua or what??

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|