A couple of CPU QUESTIONS

So i downloaded Afterburner (thanks Headwarp) and ran a few tests confirming my thinking as to where to put my upgrade dollars . But , as always , one answer begets another question-in this case two .

Firstly , anyone know the rate at which Windows switches CPU cores ? I tried using odd poll rate numbers to catch a core out , but every test i ran showed fairly balanced cores . Even when there was an imbalance , i showed 2 hi and 2 low . The highest i saw was 72% at one point on cores 2 and 4 . Is it possible that windows switches cores at a rate so high that Afterburner cannot poll fast enough ?

Secondly , about Intel auto-Turbo , (or whatever they call it) I prefer not to have it switching in-game . My options are to turn it off , or leave in "auto" . Is there a way to put it in turbo speed all the time ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I have no developer knowledge about the "scheduler" and it's policies about how it manages processes among cores, real and virtual.

I do know tho, that with processLasso by bitsum.com you can nail a process to any or many of your cores, real or virtual. So give that a go if you havent played with it yet. It may also help with DCS but since you run a non-HT i5 it is not needed anyway in your case, but you could limit DCS to 2 cores only, out of your 4. If that makes sense, I have no clue, for the pure fun of testing, why not.

2nd.

Yeah, you can and should do that to optimise your experience, aka avoid stutter when ramping up the CPU ( or GPU ).

Usually, it is enough to set your OS into HIGH PERFORMANCE mode in ENERGY SETTINGS, the Battery icon in Control Panel is one way to get to that.

Depending on your Bios and XMP and/or Overclock Settings, you may have ALL cores at max set speed...or if in absolut default Intel settings only 1.

I "assume" your Asrock board has such a feature to lock all cores at the max Turbo Frequency and not only one. You shoud NOT do this if your CPU only has the Intel cooler mounted...and I am not even sure if a non-"K" CPU does allow this, a sit is overclocking and non-K's dont overclock other than FSB.

Still, The OS Battery icon will lock the CPU at it's highest allowed frequency for it's cores. I just do not know how this behaves on non-K CPU's, as your Turbo speed will adjust by the numbers of cores in use and will not be locked as with overclocked all-core CPU's.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks ! I have done what i can in windows and bios . I'm actually quite happy with the way it runs solo , just looking for a little headroom for more populated missions , etc .

My MB does not allow for overclocking , but the cpu datasheet says it inorporates "intel turbo boost tecknology" , and specifies it runs only on -demand . Think my only bios setting is to enable or disable . I'll check again .

Thanks again , much appreciated .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Secondly , about Intel auto-Turbo , (or whatever they call it) I prefer not to have it switching in-game . My options are to turn it off , or leave in "auto" . Is there a way to put it in turbo speed all the time ?

Why?

Please, run your CPU at full turbo speed (3.6Ghz on all cores). You need it. He has thermal protection.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

@ Demon , thanks for the replies . As to the first , yeah , even 1 millisecond might see a thousand cpu core switches !

As to the second , I would think there is a possibility of stutters or other instabilities with the CPU changing speeds , and back again . I would love to simply manually turn turbo on , and leave it there .

Make sure your power options in windows are set to high performance.

If using windows 10 type "Control panel" in cortana and hit enter, double click "Power options",

by default it should be set to "Balanced" but you want the "High performance" option, which may be under "additional plans" which may require clicking a drop down box to show the option.

I think that SHOULD be all that's required to keep your PC running at 3.6ghz when running DCS, but at this point if not - check temps or, it could be the fact that your machine is using more than 1-2 cores, but grain of salt there as I don't know if that's how it works on 6th gen processors. On newer processers, Turbo does two things, 8700k for example, it will either boost 1 or 2 cores to 4.7ghz by default, or all cores to 4.3ghz depending on CPU load.

To get around that requires overclocking, and in my case disabling the AVX offset, which was necessary as both of my favorite combat sims were clocking me @4.3ghz despite being heavily dependent on single threaded performance prior to my decision to just overclock all cores.

Unsure how that i5 6500 handles it. It either boost all cores or just one or two cores. But definitely check your windows power options are set to high performance, and next time you're shopping intel CPU's definitely go for a K series for flexibility.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I think the culprit is the non-K and the Turbo Mode in conjunction. Those two play a rat's race and pass the Joker around who currently own's the CPU, aka less cores ( maybe only 1 due to non-k ) at full Turbo frequency..but what happens if a 2nd core goes above a certain percentage and thus forces the first core to downclock to stay inside some defined envelope the non-K cannot escape. This I think could well be graphed and analysed.

MSI Afterburner can log your CPU speed per core, plus load on each core, so you can trace back if the conjinction I made makes sense, too much load on a 2nd core forces core-1 to downclock, or if I am far off with what I assume, I repeat "assume". I havent run a non-K myself ever other than customer rigs for service, those I dont OC haha.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks again for all the replies gentlemen . They are not really what i want to hear , but it's good to know that those more knowledgeable than i can confirm my fears nonetheless .

Is there a way to put it in turbo speed all the time ?

Turbo boost tech activates on demand (workload) only. You can enable on 1 core (3.6Ghz), 2 cores (3.5Ghz), 3 cores (3.4Ghz) or 4 cores (3.3Ghz).

Or, try in manual settings by the multiplier. Don't know the max multiplier for all cores in manual settings.

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

no multiplier, non-K ! it's locked

Well , it's not as bad as all that...I'm not breaking Vsync solo low in the Caucasus . Everything butter-smooth . Cpu load 48 % on all cores . Just looking to max headroom for more populated missions and multiplayer . Only time cpu spikes currently (70%) is when loading terrain , and the 1070 I ordered today will free up half my ram , allowing a greater preload radius . So i may sit on this CPU until Vulcan , and if i do replace , 6700k @ standard clock should do nicely .