Improving Samsung Odyssey clarity

Gryzor

I found a tweak that improves clarity and pixel density in steam VR a LOT in steamvr apps, specially in DCS world (at least, for my point of view):

Modify the following files:

A)

\\STEAM\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

and edit the file, changing "renderTargetScale" : 3.0" (instead of 1.0)

B)

\\STEAM\config\steam.vrsettings

and edit

"compositor" : {

"renderTargetMultiplier" : 2.5

},

instead of 1.

With this file modifications, you will reach the same image quality in SteamVR apps as you have in WMR cliffhouse (or at least, some picture very close). Its incredible for me the difference of quality, now and before is like the night & day. I hope WMR DEVs could implement this in a easier way.

I've not noticed any difference. Which steam version are you using as the second file does not exist. steamvr.vrsettings does not have a compositor option either :confused:

i7 7820X OC @4.8GHz | Dual GTX 1080Ti | 32GB DDR4 3000 | Samsung 256GB SSD | Win 10 x64 | Samsung Odessey | TM Warthog | TM Pedals

I've not noticed any difference. Which steam version are you using as the second file does not exist. steamvr.vrsettings does not have a compositor option either :confused:

Noticed in "renderTargetMultiplier", 2 or 2.5 number of WMR steam software (by defult, it is is 1.0). You can easily find the difference in A-10 or F18 map MFD.

So I think that WMR cliffhouse is more sharper. Do you know other tips for improving clarity in steam with samsung odyssey?

Noticed in "renderTargetMultiplier", 2 or 2.5 number of WMR steam software (by defult, it is is 1.0). You can easily find the difference in A-10 or F18 map MFD.

So I think that WMR cliffhouse is more sharper. Do you know other tips for improving clarity in steam with samsung odyssey?

Its just PD , no need to mess with config file (we have PD slider in dcs ... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Its just PD , no need to mess with config file (we have PD slider in dcs ... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCS PD is not the same thing, it does not gives the same results like modding the file I was refering (of course that I tested DCS PD before modding files, along with steam supersampling).

The file "\\STEAM\config\steam.vrsettings" and its parameter "renderTargetMultiplier", putting a value of 2, gives a extra detail in clarity (not reachable with default steam supersampling or DCS PD), its like steam software is cutting down the maximum resolution of Odyssey or others WMR devices.

Edited by Gryzor

I cant find a single file listed here is it only for Steam DCS or will it work with DCS stand alone using Steam

cannot try...but i think it is on steamvr

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Gryzor, i was disappointed by my Odyssey plus clarity, but with this tip you made me proud of my new headset, it's just like night and day now and performance it's better than the rift but with no SDE at all now, BTW under steamVR settings i have nothing, i've just tweaked te WMR software config and then set the PD 2.0 in DCS option and bam the magic happened, thank you very much

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 8700K @ 4.9 ghz, SSD 850 evo, MSI Z370 Gaming Pro, GTX 1080Ti, F/A-18C in the garage, F-16C in the backyard, F-14B in the garden

B)

\\STEAM\config\steam.vrsettings

and edit

"compositor" : {

"renderTargetMultiplier" : 2.5

},

instead of 1.

Could not find this line in the file mentioned.

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

you are all aware that the "set render multiplier" inside steamVR does the same, right?

this is the old method, before they added it to the UI.

in fact, it had two variations, the "renderTargetMultiplier" that had the same value, in GUI which was equal to in game PD.

and the newer "application resolution" which is measured in percentage per side. so 225% is actually equal PD 1.5 (PD is measured diagonally)

Edited by uri_ba

you are all aware that the "set render multiplier" inside steamVR does the same, right?

*Edit* After your edit I see it

Edited by ChuckJäger

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

in fact, it had two variations, the "renderTargetMultiplier" that had the same value, in GUI which was equal to in game PD.

and the newer "application resolution" which is measured in percentage per side. so 225% is actually equal PD 1.5 (PD is measured diagonally)

If you don´t modify the parameter of "renderTargetScale", from default.vrsettings, putting a value of 150 in of above gives you blurry image throught steam UI

Edited by Gryzor

• 3 weeks later...

Posted in steam VR forums, many others noticed great improvement in clarity:

1) \\STEAM\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

and edit the file, changing "renderTargetScale" : 2.0" (instead of 1.0)

2) Set SteamVR SS to 200%

3) Enjoy crystal clear picture.

Cortesy of @Gryzor

https://steamcommunity.com/app/719950/discussions/0/3276824488715073552/

• 2 weeks later...
Posted in steam VR forums, many others noticed great improvement in clarity:

1) \\STEAM\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

and edit the file, changing "renderTargetScale" : 2.0" (instead of 1.0)

2) Set SteamVR SS to 200%

3) Enjoy crystal clear picture.

Cortesy of @Gryzor

https://steamcommunity.com/app/719950/discussions/0/3276824488715073552/

I cannot hit 45FPS on the ground with 100% Samsung Odyssey resolution with a GTX 1080Ti OC @ 2025 MHz if I enable ANY shadows and you people are talking about 200% SS... Can you even fly with those settings or is it just a pretty screenshot that you see every half a second or so :))

The important part for the odyssey is the file text edit from 1.0 to 2.0. I can fly with pretty high settings having both steam supersampling at 2.0 and the render target at 2.0. Read ability is amazing. However I’m a viggen fanatic lately and have settled on 102 in steam super sampling, 2.0 render target and 1.3 pixel density in dcs.

I run both sets of shadows, ground flat only and others on low. Only time I drop below 45 is when big explosions or when the cpu can’t feed card fast enough.

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

The important part for the odyssey is the file text edit from 1.0 to 2.0. I can fly with pretty high settings having both steam supersampling at 2.0 and the render target at 2.0. Read ability is amazing. However I’m a viggen fanatic lately and have settled on 102 in steam super sampling, 2.0 render target and 1.3 pixel density in dcs.

I run both sets of shadows, ground flat only and others on low. Only time I drop below 45 is when big explosions or when the cpu can’t feed card fast enough.

When you start the game in steam VR, what do you select?

I have 4 options to choose from:

Start in desktop mode (or something like that)

Start in Steam VR

Start in Oculus mode

Start in Steam VR 2.5

The Oculus software startsup regardless of what I choose (not sure if it affects anything) but if I start it with "Start in Steam VR 2.5" with even some MSAA (in game because I cannot get Nvidia Control pannel to do anything) or SS (1.2-1.3 from Steam VR) I get a lot of VR loading screens (the steam VR gray zone with a square of DCS in the middle and 3 lines just below it that usually appear when starting up a game) on the ground and on other demanding views.

P.S: The most demanding and easy to reproduce scene is "ready on the ramp" with f/a18c in caucasus map or persian gulf. Both drom below 45FPS when looking at the planes to my left with any shadows enabled.

My PC:

i5 8600k @ 4.8GHz

asrock z370 pro4

16GB RAM @ 3200

GTX 1080Ti @ 2050MHz

samsung EVO SSD

Edited by orbelosul

When you start the game in steam VR, what do you select?

I have 4 options to choose from:

Start in desktop mode (or something like that)

Start in Steam VR

Start in Oculus mode

Start in Steam VR 2.5

The Oculus software startsup regardless of what I choose (not sure if it affects anything) but if I start it with "Start in Steam VR 2.5" with even some MSAA (in game because I cannot get Nvidia Control pannel to do anything) or SS (1.2-1.3 from Steam VR) I get a lot of VR loading screens on the ground and on other demanding views.

P.S: The most demanding and easy to reproduce scene is "ready on the ramp" with f/a18c in caucasus map or persian gulf. Both drom below 45FPS when looking at the planes to my left with any shadows enabled.

I had the drop to loading screens allot before, but I went to 32 Gb ram it solved most

My PC:

i5 8600k @ 4.8GHz

samsung EVO SSD

16GB RAM @ 3200

GTX 1080Ti @ 2050MHz

Yes those missions are super heavy on hardware. I’m assuming you have dcs in steam? I have both and when I had the steam version installed I recall selecting the steamvr 2.5 option. My oculus software never started up. Maybe make oculus home start as administrator in the options see if that happens.

Other than that I uninstalled all oculus software as it sits in the closet now

Edited by Sniper175

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Yes those missions are super heavy on hardware. I’m assuming you have dcs in steam? I have both and when I had the steam version installed I recall selecting the steamvr 2.5 option. My oculus software never started up. Maybe make oculus home start as administrator in the options see if that happens.

Other than that I uninstalled all oculus software as it sits in the closet now

Yes, I have DCS in Steam.

I think the oculus software is using some of the resources and maybe even causing some of the problems but I cannot just uninstall it because I need it to play Dirt Rally (and uninstalling it and installing it every time I need it takes a lot of time).

I will try to set "Run in Admin mode" so it does not auto-start. Hope it will help with loading screen issues so I can turn on MSAA x2 or set SS to 1.3 again (in the past it seemed to work ok).

Did you ever get those loading screens while in game?

Edited by orbelosul