Understanding ME : Uncontrolled / Delayed activation

CougarFFW04

Hi everybody,

Still trying to understand what the following check boxes do exactly :

- Uncontrolled : according to the manual if it is checked the flight will appear "static" on the tarmac and go alive when it is supposed to start.

- Delayed activation : not documented

What is the relation between both ?

I would like that an F5 IA appears on the tarmac when I enter the simulation and start for takeoff a bit later. Unable :cry::cry:

Even more strange, when I setup the starting time at 8:03 on day 10 (see picture) although I am day 0, at 8:03 it appears... Is that working properly ?

Thanks

delayeds-5552be5.jpg

Hi everybody,

Still trying to understand what the following check boxes do exactly :

This is correct:

- Uncontrolled : according to the manual if it is checked the flight will appear "static" on the tarmac and go alive when it is supposed to start.

- Delayed activation : (Unit will not appear in mission until you use a trigger command of "Group activate -> Unitname".)

- When I setup the starting time at 8:03 on day 10 (see picture) although I am day 0, at 8:03 it appears. (This shouldn't happen unless you have uncontrolled ticked, This is the same as a Delayed activation, plane shouldn't show in mission until you use a trigger command of "Group activate -> Unitname".)

I would like that an F5 IA appears on the tarmac when I enter the simulation and start for takeoff a bit later. (To do this, use the Uncontrolled function, Set the time you want it to start, but do not specify a different day).

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Hi,

Thanks for comments and helps.

This is correct:

- When I setup the starting time at 8:03 on day 10 (see picture) although I am day 0, at 8:03 it appears. (This shouldn't happen unless you have uncontrolled ticked, This is the same as a Delayed activation, plane shouldn't show in mission until you use a trigger command of "Group activate -> Unitname".)

This is the problem...

As you can see on the screenshoot nor "NON CONTROLE" nor "ACTVATION RETARDEE" are checked but the F5 comes alive at 8:03 on day 0 although it is supposed to start only on day 1...

I would like that an F5 IA appears on the tarmac when I enter the simulation and start for takeoff a bit later. (To do this, use the Uncontrolled function, Set the time you want it to start, but do not specify a different day).

Will check again everything and report.

Let's wait and see.

Thanks

So little testing from a new mission from scratch :

-1 F18 (player) parked C&D at Gelendzhik : Start 08:00:00/0

-1 F5 (IA Very Good) parked C&D at Gelendzhik : Start 08:00:15/0

Go cockpit at 8:00:00 and observe :

1) Nothing checked : F5 spawned at 08:00:15, startup and taxy to runway as expected.

2) Uncrotrolled : F5 appears static at 08:00:15 and nothing happens.

3) Delayed Activation : Nothing happens...

4) Uncontrolled + Delayed Activation : Nothing happens...

Now with Trigger Activate Group (T > 60)

1') F5 spawned at 08:01:00, startup and taxy to runway.

2') F5 appears static at 08:01:00 and nothing happens.

3') : F5 spawned at 08:01:00 startup and taxy to runway

4') : F5 appears static at 08:01:00 and nothing happens (as 2').

Still very unclear to me what's really happening with these two parameters and their link...

In particular still unable to get the following situation where the F5 would appear at 8:00:00 close to me and initiate the startup procedure only at 08:00:15 :joystick:

Did it (case 2)

Help appreciated,

Thanks

Edited by CougarFFW04

I've never tried to delay a startup with an uncontrolled aircraft using the start time for WP0, though if it's not working I'm inclined to think that might be a bug as MadDog is a pretty smart cookie. Failing that, however, there is another way to achieve a visible but delayed start.

To start an "uncontrolled" aircraft, go into its triggered actions tab and click add, then select perform command -> start.

You can then command the aircraft to start using an AI TASK PUSH trigger, activated by any normal ME condition.

Edited by feefifofum

Hi feefifofum

I've never tried to delay a startup with an uncontrolled aircraft using the start time for WP0, though if it's not working I'm inclined to think that might be a bug as MadDog is a pretty smart cookie. Failing that, however, there is another way to achieve a visible but delayed start.

Sounds completly buggy to me but let's wait for his answer...

To start an "uncontrolled" aircraft, go into its triggered actions tab and click add, then select perform command -> start.

You can then command the aircraft to start using an AI TASK PUSH trigger, activated by any normal ME condition.

Tryed but :joystick:

Exact scenario would be :

- Start mission at 08:00:00/0

- Would like to see the F5 C&D when I enter my F18

- F5 start procedure and go his way at 08:00:30/0 for exemple

Can you precise please ?

- What time should I set for WPT0 ?

- Should I box the "Uncontrolled" ?

- Should I box the "delayed activation" ?

- Cant'find the start command in the advanced waypoint tab...

- Find the start command in the triggered action tab but now no way to set a condition...

Nightmare...

Edited by CougarFFW04

Leave all time etc. options alone. Check uncontrolled, do not check late activation. These two methods are mutually exclusive.

Perform the start command using AI TASK PUSH in the triggers menu. In your case, if you want him to start 30 seconds after unpausing the .miz:

1 ONCE (Start F5, NO EVENT)

==========

TIME MORE (30)

==========

AI TASK PUSH (F5, 1. Start)

Uncontrolled - aircraft will appear at mission start, on the ramp, cold and dark with no pilot. Upon recieving the command to start either through triggered actions & AI TASK PUSH (or theoretically, per MadDog, by setting a delayed start time for WP0) the aircraft's pilot will spawn in and it will start up and perform its programmed tasking. I have no personal experience with MadDog's method, as I mentioned.

Late activation - aircraft will not appear in the mission until a GROUP ACTIVATE trigger is used, at which point the aircraft will spawn in and immediately begin performing its programmed tasking

By delaying the start time at WP0, WITHOUT checking either late activation or uncontrolled, the unit will not appear in the mission until the start time, at which point it will be spawned in and immediately perform its programmed tasking.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Hi,

Yes, thanks a lot. It's understandable now :)

Now that it is sorted out from the ME interface point of view, I would like to do the same in a scripting mission.

Following is the code (the IA F5 flight name is IA_F5).

It is not at all optimized but as it doesn't work, a step by step code to get the problem.

So when running this code :

local groupName = 'IA_F5'
if Group.getByName(groupName) then
   trigger.action.outText("Get group",3)
   if Group.getController(Group.getByName(groupName)) then
       trigger.action.outText("Get Controller",3)

F5Start = {id = 'Start', params = {}}
       Controller.setTask(Group.getController(Group.getByName(groupName)), F5Start)
       trigger.action.outText("Run Up task initiated :)",3)
   else
       trigger.action.outText("CAN'T get Controller",3)
   end
else
   trigger.action.outText("CAN'T Get group",3)
end

I got the

- Get group

- Get Controller

messges

but not the "Run Up task initiated"

So obviously the problem is with this command

Controller.setTask(Group.getController(Group.getByName(groupName)), F5Start)

But I I do not understand what's going wrong...

Any idea ?

Thanks

Edited by CougarFFW04

So little testing from a new mission from scratch :

Still very unclear to me what's really happening with these two parameters and their link...

In particular still unable to get the following situation where the F5 would appear at 8:00:00 close to me and initiate the startup procedure only at 08:00:15 :joystick:

As I haven't played around with missions to much lately, and my memory is very fallible (I could be slight wrong with some of my advice, and I would normally make a mission to test my assertions, but I grow tired of doing this on a daily basis), I would suggest you follow Feefifofum's advice, he knows what he is talking about.

All the best, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Hi,

Got it (name of the flight IA_F5 in that case)

StartUnit = { 
 id = 'Start', 
 params = { 
 } 
} 

_group = Group.getByName(groupName)
_controller = _group:getController()
_controller:setCommand(StartUnit)

Hope this might help someone sometime :book:

Happy mission :pilotfly:

• 2 months later...
Uncontrolled - aircraft will appear at mission start, on the ramp, cold and dark with no pilot. Upon recieving the command to start either through triggered actions & AI TASK PUSH (or theoretically, per MadDog, by setting a delayed start time for WP0) the aircraft's pilot will spawn in and it will start up and perform its programmed tasking. I have no personal experience with MadDog's method, as I mentioned.

Late activation - aircraft will not appear in the mission until a GROUP ACTIVATE trigger is used, at which point the aircraft will spawn in and immediately begin performing its programmed tasking

By delaying the start time at WP0, WITHOUT checking either late activation or uncontrolled, the unit will not appear in the mission until the start time, at which point it will be spawned in and immediately perform its programmed tasking.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Thanks for clearing this up! :thumbup:

One nasty problem occurs on my machine:

If I use the AI TASK PUSH in a triggered action, I simply cannot select something in the box "AI ACTION" below. If I click on it, a light blue line appears without being able to enter something. :helpsmilie:

ai_task_push_fails.thumb.png.0b4cd8da82dc2a7730de7a595d89bd37.png

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Hi,

Got it (name of the flight IA_F5 in that case)

StartUnit = { 
 id = 'Start', 
 params = { 
 } 
} 

_group = Group.getByName(groupName)
_controller = _group:getController()
_controller:setCommand(StartUnit)

Hope this might help someone sometime :book:

Happy mission :pilotfly:

YEP, thanks pal!

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Thanks for clearing this up! :thumbup:

One nasty problem occurs on my machine:

If I use the AI TASK PUSH in a triggered action, I simply cannot select something in the box "AI ACTION" below. If I click on it, a light blue line appears without being able to enter something. :helpsmilie:

[ATTACH]202073[/ATTACH]

You must click "ADD -> Perform command -> Start" to the TRIGGERED ACTIONS menu for the AI. It's the tab next to loadout. You can only use AI TASK PUSH for actions in the TRIGGERED ACTIONS category.

You must click "ADD -> Perform command -> Start" to the TRIGGERED ACTIONS menu for the AI. It's the tab next to loadout. You can only use AI TASK PUSH for actions in the TRIGGERED ACTIONS category.

Finally I got this sorted out ... thanks for you inputs!

It took quite a while what the hack is meant by "TRIGGERED ACTIONS" category. It is the tab with the symbol I don't know how to describe it ... :music_whistling:, which was a REAL stumbling block!!

my computer: