PROBLEM !! YAW and CRASH at Touch Down

johnjar

My simulator is the latest version of DCS World open beta and the module is the P-51D. I have owned this for several years now. I have all the options set to make the simulator as real as possible. I am very experienced and component at all operations of the P-51D. I now have the problem of a crash after landing. The wheels touch very softly without a bounce. I perfect three point landing. Then as I begin to roll down the runway, the plane’s nose yaws to the left. All of the stick inputs are neutral, the brakes are off and the throttle is off. You can tell that the plane is slowing just a little. After yawing left for seconds the nose usually drops and propeller blades are bent. For some reason now this makes it very hard to make a successful landing. All of the missions and campaigns have this problem. I first noticed it while doing the Final Approach Lochini instant action mission. The only mission I have found that does not have this problem is the Landing option of the Training menu. I have verified all of the axis tuning and it is all okay. Before starting the simulator I have recalibrated my joystick and tested it. My joystick is the Microsoft force feedback 2. My operating system is Windows 10. I know this is not related, but I fly the Prepar3D simulator with no problems.

Thank you for your help, johnjar johnsonjar28@yahoo.com Russ Johnson

Here are two track files. I finally was able to get a good landing. As you can see one is the good and one is the crash. Thank you for the advice Buzz I will give that a try. I think I am doing something wrong or missing something that I should be doing (as Buzz suggested). Please, compare these tracks. As always, any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, johnjar.

Finial Approach Lochini YAW LEFT and CRASH.trk

Finial Approach Lochini Good Landing.trk

Here are two track files. I finally was able to get a good landing. As you can see one is the good and one is the crash. Thank you for the advice Buzz I will give that a try. I think I am doing something wrong or missing something that I should be doing (as Buzz suggested). Please, compare these tracks. As always, any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, johnjar.

You don't need to pull the stick with the P-51 as the tailwheel should always be locked unless you push the stick.

You don't need to pull the stick with the P-51 as the tailwheel should always be locked unless you push the stick.

He's using a FF stick. I don't trust those to have a solid neutral with no slop. Better to pull back some to make sure the tailwheel is locked. Plus, he's nosing over.

Buzz

If the track is playing correctly on my installation, 'Finial Approach Lochini YAW LEFT and CRASH.trk' is most certainly not an example of a good landing. You bounce 3 or 4 times, and after the last bounce you settle down already with a left yawl attitude, partly I believe bc after the last bounce the left wheel settles down first, which starts the yawl to the left.

With all tail-dragger aircraft any yawl offset is exponentially exacerbated by the tendency by the COG (Center Of Gravity) increasing the yawl to overtake the main gear, which are far ahead of the COG.

As an experiment, starting in a large parking area, push the stick forwards to unlock the tail wheel and allow it to freely castor. Now start to taxi without using any brake input to see what happens. The tail will start to yawl in one direction. The rate at which the yawl increases will accelerate, until the tail overtakes the direction of travel. Congratulations, you have done a ground-loop :thumbup:.

Now using your brakes to control your steering, try to taxi a circuit around the parking area without losing control. Hint: using the tail rudder will be of no use in the P-51, as the rudder only gains authority at near flight speed, and you are only taxiing, and with the tail wheel freely castoring, you have no steering through the tail wheel.

You CAN use brakes directly after touchdown, if the aircraft is solidly on the ground - even in a two point landing - but you must insure that you do not apply them so much as to force the propeller into the ground or to increase a yawl.

Once all wheels are on the ground - consider two-point landings - with the throttle completely out, always pull the control stick all the way back and leave it there to insure the tail wheel is locked. This should be an absolutely standard. Use the rudder pedals to steer and maintain the center of the runway.

Edit: oh, and practice. Practice makes perfect; it really does ;)

Edited by Captain Orso

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Thank you Captain Orso for the good and detailed info. I will try to do all of it as needed. Boy, many things happening at the same time. I think I let the speed get too low to maintain a glide. Also I was too high and pulled the stick back to quickly and too far. You are very correct. Practice, practice, practice and ... MORE PRACTICE !!!!! Thanks again, johnjar