Drifting left, flight characteristic or calibration?

AvgWhiteGuy

When on approach and flying the AOA on the flight path the plane always has a slight tendency to drift to the left so I always have to keep pressure on the stick to counteract this. This in turn leads me to use the stick too much adjusting the pitch instead of using the throttle (my bad).

The loadout is evenly distributed and, in normal flight (level, descending, ascending) the aircraft tracks just fine.

Note this does not happen flying the A-10C at any time.

I'm wondering whether this is a calibration problem with my Warthog HOTAS, or a normal flight characteristic for this AOA and speed.

Is anyone else experiencing this? What's the best way to calibrate the TM Warthog HOTAS?

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

When on approach and flying the AOA on the flight path the plane always has a slight tendency to drift to the left so I always have to keep pressure on the stick to counteract this. This in turn leads me to use the stick too much adjusting the pitch instead of using the throttle (my bad).

The loadout is evenly distributed and, in normal flight (level, descending, ascending) the aircraft tracks just fine.

Note this does not happen flying the A-10C at any time.

I'm wondering whether this is a calibration problem with my Warthog HOTAS, or a normal flight characteristic for this AOA and speed.

Is anyone else experiencing this? What's the best way to calibrate the TM Warthog HOTAS?

Carrier approach or airfield? Carrier is usually moving away from you to keep "wind over the deck" (so the angled deck seems to move to the right). Speaking of wind, a bit of crosswind will have you drift, as well.

You can check the calibration with RCTRL+ENTER and looking at the axis in real time.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

@Shagrat..........straight in, any airfield with no wind....always drifts to the left.

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

I get something similar.

For a while I thought I was going nuts when Air2Air Refuelling. Although the drift I get is mainly due to wind. On the server I sometimes fly it gets more severe at higher altitudes

I find the Hornet challenging to refuel in the air but not impossible, combine the drift with the nose pitching under power changes and it makes for a fun time

Are you getting the FPM moving off center too, indicating the drift?

You can dial it out to an extent with rudder trim, I sometimes do that with the rudder trim on an axis

@Shagrat..........straight in, any airfield with no wind....always drifts to the left.
ok, need to check. Sounds strange.

Another wild idea, is to check the fuel page, if the tanks are unballanced? Though they should feed all internal tanks the same.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 2 years later...

I have this too, I first thought it was my Joystick.

But today when changing some setting on my throttle, I logged in to free flight to check them  (no joystick attacked) and my plane did the same thing. Every so slightly turn left.

When I look at rctrl - enter, it's right in the middle.

-----

Don't practise till you got it right.

Practise till you don't do it wrong

5 hours ago, Double Dutch said:

I have this too, I first thought it was my Joystick.

But today when changing some setting on my throttle, I logged in to free flight to check them  (no joystick attacked) and my plane did the same thing. Every so slightly turn left.

When I look at rctrl - enter, it's right in the middle.

What's your loadout? Do you have ATFLIR ot TPOD on a cheek?

8 hours ago, Agrrregat said:

What's your loadout? Do you have ATFLIR ot TPOD on a cheek?

This was my first thought too. A pod on one cheek and a missile on the other might seem symmetrical enough but there's still a noticeable difference. 

Other than that, I don't know. I so rarely land ashore that I guess I wouldn't have noticed; as noted above, constant drift to the left is normal in the groove at the boat. 

Edited by Stearmandriver