FPAS Climb Question

CaptJodan

So just downloaded the new Friday hotfix and am not sure I am understanding how the climb FPAS climb is supposed to work.

I presumed it gave optimal climb airspeed, but these numbers don't seem to add up to an airspeed I can reach.

Is anyone else having this issue? Am I missing something obvious on how to read this in the HUD?

Edit: I know something has changed because it's no longer just taking the vertical speed numbers (they do not match or closely match as they did in the Wednesday patch). So something was updated. So that's why I assume it's operator error first.

fpas.thumb.jpg.dccf686c878b7939dbbcfd5bc9fe0c11.jpg

Edited by CaptJodan

• ED Team

It displays optimal climb rate as a function of vertical velocity, not airspeed. Adjust climb such that the number above the airspeed and altitude boxes match.

FYI, I've never talked to a Hornet pilot that actually uses this, but they have confirmed how it works.

Thanks!

It displays optimal climb rate as a function of vertical velocity, not airspeed. Adjust climb such that the number above the airspeed and altitude boxes match.

FYI, I've never talked to a Hornet pilot that actually uses this, but they have confirmed how it works.

Thanks!

Eagle Dynamics.

"We get it so right, we even model what the real pilots find useless."

Thats some dedication. Any other company is still struggling to model decent flight dynamics. Let alone all the other models and systems coming. Oh wait, where are those other companies? :D

Thank's for clearing that up since in your video you said it would display the optimal airspeed to climb at.

Having a question though: When I checked this out I noticed that close to the AB, but still in full MIL power, that value decreases significantly - why that?

1797969663_DCS2018-11-1023-42-03-13.thumb.jpg.cad731e28759a97f7b2927ddbb3abef3.jpg

1064678999_DCS2018-11-1023-42-06-38.thumb.jpg.8d0b1c3409f3c771927586d65e95b306.jpg

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Thank's for clearing that up since in your video you said it would display the optimal airspeed to climb at.

Having a question though: When I checked this out I noticed that close to the AB, but still in full MIL power, that value decreases significantly - why that?

Climbs should be performed at MIL for best efficiency so I'd guess around MIL it would give you the most accurate readings... But like I said... this is a guess lol

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Eagle Dynamics.

"We get it so right, we even model what the real pilots find useless."

Thats some dedication. Any other company is still struggling to model decent flight dynamics. Let alone all the other models and systems coming. Oh wait, where are those other companies? :D

That's fascinating :)

I guess, pilots dont use it because they have a preplanned flight plan with altitude and airspeed they must respect.

Climbs should be performed at MIL for best efficiency so I'd guess around MIL it would give you the most accurate readings... But like I said... this is a guess lol

I know that and on both shots I was at MIL. Regardless of that I don't understand why it's showing a lot less suggested climb rate in AB (and even before the AB kicks in when pushing to full MIL), it rather should be higher to get out of the high FF low alt ASAP.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I understand how to use it, but for some reason it gives me climb rates that are not sustainable/illogical. I turned it on and initially had a climb rate of 9,000. I held that, then it decreased to 7,000 by the time I was stalling. Anyone else experience this? This is after the Friday hotfix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

I understand how to use it, but for some reason it gives me climb rates that are not sustainable/illogical. I turned it on and initially had a climb rate of 9,000. I held that, then it decreased to 7,000 by the time I was stalling. Anyone else experience this?

Yes, doesn't look right, it'd be good to have a RL Hornet pilot confirm it's correct.

My best guess is it's showing the "Instantaneous Rate of Climb" (p80, Fig 11-28, FA-18ABCD Performance Charts, a1-f18ac-nfm-200)

Rather than "Climb/descent airspeed" as I would have expected from the FPAS description (p97-98, Fig 2-7, FA-18ABCD Hornet Flight Manual, F18-ABCD-000)

Climb Speed Schedule for DI=100 is 360 KCAS/0.81M (p67, fig 11-23, FA-18ABCD Performance Charts, a1-f18ac-nfm-200) and the DCS Hornet works well with that profile, matching the time and distance required to reach the optimum cruise altitude.

Tested DCS Open Beta 2.5.3.23954, GTW 41,462 lb (120C*4,9X*2,Fuel 330 gal), Persian Gulf

Note:

The F/A-18E/F Fight manual says it's FPAS 'Climb' button displays the optimum KCAS, so it looks like a bug (unless the the earlier F/A-18C is different).

When selected, CLIMB is boxed and the climb airspeed prompt indicates the desired calibrated airspeed for an optimum climb profile.

Edited by Ramsay
Super Hornet FPAS displays optimum KCAS on it's HUD

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080