Stennis runway heading.

KewinSawicki

As the Stennis is a Nimitz Class Carrier, it should be (according to Wikipedia) 9 degrees to the left with respect to the steaming direction.

The Stennis' course should be known from rither the briefing or directly out of the mission editor. IDK if it is stated by the ATC during the approach

You have to go to F10 and click on the carrier on the map. The data block will give you the ship's heading, which you can use for BRC. Then adjust as described above.

Could it be that we have to take magnetic deviation into account as well? Have a carrier with BRC 70° as per F10, but I have to land somwhere in between 59 and 60° otherwise I'd have to "right for line up" pretty much. As it's on the PG map, -2° would be roughly appropriate.

So I'm assuming no other way of doing this other than checking via F10 ?

Normally you'd get the BRC from the air boss or marshal if I'm not mistaken (carrier ATC = being worked on), then do a CASE I - III pattern approach that has you lined up in the end. If you're not doing that you can still rely on ICLS without bothering about the heading except for initial approach where it doesn't have to be precise.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Don't forget that, by default, you probably have Magnetic heading set on your F/A-18. It is common for the carrier's BRC to be (inaccurately) quoted in missions etc as a True course. In that event, you will need to adjust this to Magnetic before you apply the 9 degree offset. In the Caucasus area the Variation/Declination is 6 degrees East.

For example if the Carrier's BRC is 360 True, you need to convert this to Magnetic by subtracting 6, to get the correct BRC 354M. This will be the course around which the run-in for the join and the pattern is based. That is, run in on 354M, and fly downwind on 174M.

The 'runway' however is 9 degrees less than this, that is 345M, and this is the direction that you will need to fly in the groove, and when carrying out an ICLS approach.

I find it very aggravating that mission briefs etc often give the BRC as a True direction. The official US Navy manuals very explicitly define BRC as;

"Base recovery course, which is the ship's magnetic course"

Don't forget that, by default, you probably have Magnetic heading set on your F/A-18. It is common for the carrier's BRC to be (inaccurately) quoted in missions etc as a True course. In that event, you will need to adjust this to Magnetic before you apply the 9 degree offset. In the Caucasus area the Variation/Declination is 6 degrees East.

For example if the Carrier's BRC is 360 True, you need to convert this to Magnetic by subtracting 6, to get the correct BRC 354M. This will be the course around which the run-in for the join and the pattern is based. That is, run in on 354M, and fly downwind on 174M.

The 'runway' however is 9 degrees less than this, that is 345M, and this is the direction that you will need to fly in the groove, and when carrying out an ICLS approach.

I find it very aggravating that mission briefs etc often give the BRC as a True direction. The official US Navy manuals very explicitly define BRC as;

Correct. I just want to add that deviation for PG map is -2 degrees. So example for PG map will be: If BRC is 360M, correct course will be 358M (360 - 2).

And final bearing (FB) course is -9 degrees from BRC, because carrier`s runway is 9 degrees to the left. So for that example in PG map: 358 - 9 = 349M degrees for FB course.

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

I really don't use the BRC much - LOL - yeah right.

Landed once with one engine & 1/2 the elevator (someone ran into me )

Then another time I landed in IMC - no tacan or ICLS - true.

Then I was challenged by my CO - landed while the boat was in 180deg turn.

You do what you have to do to get down to the boat safely.

But if you really want the incoming, a good mission planner will post it for you in the Briefing. At least in my squadron then do.

It took me a while to figure out why my reciprocal heading downwinds never looked quite right. It's terrible that mission states true heading instead of magnetic.

thanks for clarifying this

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas