Writing custom kneeboard ?

lucky-hendrix

Hi All,

I use the kneeboard a lot, but so far I always added images to my kneeboard & used the kneeboard builder app to convert .pfd files.

And I am bit intrigued by what we can do with kneeboards & Lua scripting.

THe Mi-8 startup kneeboard comes to mind. I looked into the files for this kneeboard, I could't find an image.

So I assume it has been created by a script ?

So could I write to script to have my own checklist, with the same formating as the Mi-8 kneeboard ?

Thx

+1 in VR this could be amazing ! Have the kneeboard in VR + custom notes

Specs: Win10 64bits Pro, Intel i9-9900K | 32Go | RTX 2080 Ti | M.2 SSD 850go x2

Hardware: HTC Vive Pro + X56

Maps : Normandy + Assets | Gulf | Nevada

DCS Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | A-10C | F/A-18C | Ka-50 | SuperCarrier | F-14A/B | F-5E | F-86F Sabre | MiG-15bis | Mig-19 | MiG-21bis | AV-8B | Fw 190 D-9 | SA342 | P-51D | Bf 109 K-4 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | M-2000C | F-16C

It is possible to create a kneeboard page using static data on mission load like I did with the dynamic kneeboards included with Kneeboard Builder. Take a look at my dynamic mission briefings in Kneeboard Builder if you want to try that method. I included comments in those files to try to explain what is going on. I had to learn how to do it by trial and error as there is no guide or tutorial.

Interactive kneeboards like in the Mi-8 aren't possible (as far as I know) since the kneeboard redraw function is hard coded into the aircraft modules and can't seem to be accessed via lua only. If there is a way it to do it using it is beyond my expertise as I have never figured out how.

Don't know about Mi-8 formatting but you can get basically any document and put it as a custom kneeboard page.

Open your Word and put anything you want. Then convert it to PDF and then from PDF to JPEG, which you should name: KNEEBOARD_01, next one KNEEBOARD_02 etc.

Resize them to 768 x 1024 px (so they look better in the sim, this is the native size).

Put them in the following folder: KNEEBOARD/IMAGES/

When you have everything in there, just open the mission (using winrar or similar app, don't change the .miz extension though!) and drag the whole KNEEBOARD folder into root directory.

Launch DCS, open your kneeboard, swipe one page to the left and voila. Hope this helps!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Thanks Baltic dragon. But the page I am talking about in the MI8 kneeboard is only in .Lua I think there is no image. And if I could skip the creating of the image it would make creating quickly a kneeboard page with just a simple checklist quite easy.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

It is possible to create a kneeboard page using static data on mission load like I did with the dynamic kneeboards included with Kneeboard Builder. Take a look at my dynamic mission briefings in Kneeboard Builder if you want to try that method. I included comments in those files to try to explain what is going on. I had to learn how to do it by trial and error as there is no guide or tutorial.

Interactive kneeboards like in the Mi-8 aren't possible (as far as I know) since the kneeboard redraw function is hard coded into the aircraft modules and can't seem to be accessed via lua only. If there is a way it to do it using it is beyond my expertise as I have never figured out how.

Thanks I will look into it

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk