APU disable time, could someone explain?

sirrah

I noticed the APU disables at various times. Sometimes fairly quickly while I'm still on the ground and sometimes a few minutes after take off.

I was wondering why that is. I asume the hydraulic accumulators get re-pressurized by the engine driven main hydraulic pumps. So why is the APU on for such a long time? And why isn't this allways the same?

(I know the F-16 APU, or JFS as it's called there, disables pretty much directly after engine start)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

What do you mean by disable? To me means that is broken and not usable. I ask because the F-16 JFS should not be disable after start. It turns off or shut off at around 54% engine RPM. Is that what you mean?

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I indeed meant "shut off" (couldn't find the correct English word for it :P )

I know it shuts off automatically, but I was wondering why this seems to happen at random times (There must be some kind of sequence for it to run though I'd expect)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

The APU should turn off 1 minute after second generator comes on line AFAIK, is it not doing that for you?

I don't have the DCS F/A-18, talking based on the available manuals online.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

The APU should turn off 1 minute after second generator comes on line AFAIK, is it not doing that for you?

I know it often tirns off while I'm allready up in the air. Considering ins allignment takes a few minutes (it counts to about 3:03, but I'm not sure those are seconds), it certainly stays on for more than 1 minute

System specs:

Why don't you time it and provide some actual useful information

Sorry erautour, I obviously disturbed you with my question, which wasn't my intention.

My question was purely out of interest and I just thought maybe someone here would know this.

As soon as I have time (which isn't exactly easy with a one year old daughter :P), I'll use a timer on it and post the results here (unless anyone else here can provide the answer in the meanwhile)

System specs:

If both engines are up and running correctly, the APU should have shut off long before you get airborne. On a hot start, for example, the APU is off on initial load.

If it's happening *extremely* quickly (say, before you can even get the right engine spooled up), you're out of fuel. Some servers start aircraft at bone dry.

Hmm.. so am I the only one here that has the APU still running while up in the air?

In that case I'd better go through the entire startup procedure again to see if I missed something.

I never have any cautions on when taking off, so I never thought about maybe forgetting something..

System specs:

Hmm.. so am I the only one here that has the APU still running while up in the air?

In that case I'd better go through the entire startup procedure again to see if I missed something.

I never have any cautions on when taking off, so I never thought about maybe forgetting something..

I encounter this from time to time as well. I follow a start sequence, which I bring up via my kneeboard.

At times the APU will shutoff while on the boat. Other times, it's still running after I launch and start my 1st turn. Then I notice the APU shutting off, because you can hear it.

Not sure why it does this. As noted, I follow the startup sequence in Chuck's manual, which I added into my kneeboard.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Not sure why it does this. As noted, I follow the startup sequence in Chuck's manual, which I added into my kneeboard.

The Chuck's guide is kinda more like a strategy guide than a manual. Make your kneeboard from the Natops manual and your APU won't be left on again. Step 17 is to verify the APU is off.

The Chuck's guide is kinda more like a strategy guide than a manual. Make your kneeboard from the Natops manual and your APU won't be left on again. Step 17 is to verify the APU is off.

Is this the correct Natops manual?

Am I correct that the F/A-18C startup procedure can be found in chapter 10.2.1.2?

If so, I indeed see the APU must be switched off at step 20

20. (ABC) APU -OFF

So does this mean it has to be switched off manually (officially then)?

System specs:

MVSGAS is totally right. APU will come offline 1 minute after second engine, left one, is online, ie. L Gen caption is OFF.

It's in the NATOPS and implemented in DCS (I just checked it).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is this the correct Natops manual?

Am I correct that the F/A-18C startup procedure can be found in chapter 10.2.1.2?

If so, I indeed see the APU must be switched off at step 20

So does this mean it has to be switched off manually (officially then)?

It means you need to check it's OFF, nothing more, you have to check it in case the auto cut-off didn't work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It means you need to check it's OFF, nothing more, you have to check it in case the auto cut-off didn't work.

So if the auto cut-off doesn't work, which seems to be the case not only for me (refering to javalina's post), we'll have to switch it off manually?

System specs:

Chapter 10 is functional checkflight procedures and atypical. I think it's ensuring or setting APU off to check crossbleed start. Check section 7.1.5 which is normal flight.

APU is normally triggered to shut down 1 minute after both generators are online but can remain on if the bleed air augmentation system is in use. Yes you can always turn off the APU by setting the switch off.

From the NATOPS (source page I-2-28)

2.4.2.1 APU Switch. The APU switch is a two-position switch with positions of ON and OFF

APU Switch - ON

Starts the start cycle of the APU. Switch is electrically held in the ON position

and automatically returns to OFF 1 minute after the second generator comes on

the line provided the bleed air knob is not in AUG PULL

"Make your own kneeboard from the Natops" is much easier said than done.

Also... I never pretended my introductory guide was anything close to a flight manual or a NATOPS-style manual. It's just to get the ball rolling. Think of it more like hand-written notes and reminders. Some people don't seem to be able to grasp this simple fact and get angry when they expect to see in this document something it's clearly not meant to be.

Edited by Charly_Owl

I have always had it turn off before takeoff, I've been following the start-up procedure I have seen in a few of the videos online about starting the F 18. Even if I perform the fire check, then turn ground power on and start aligning my INS early, turn on my lights and displays, change my ordinance and whatever else, it still turns off a short time after my engines are both on, and long before taxiing to the runway.

I do not want to be that guy, but I'd rather say it before some moderator finds out and gives consequences to it.

Rule 1.16 Posting images, file links, and file sharing links of military aircraft documents newer than 1980 is strictly prohibited on our forums. Such posts will be removed.

And yes, its a rather new rule.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

That's exactly what happens in DCS. I never had it still running even when I start taxiing. It's always shut down by itself before the INS alignment is done.

Try providing a track, so we could see what you're doing and help solving that issue twilightsmile.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Ok, point taken.

Apparently I'm one of the very few who experiences this late APU deactivating. I'll revise my startup procedure and try to follow the Natops steps next time I get the chance. Maybe then my APU will turn off as it should.

Until now I also used Chuck's manual (which I'm very grateful for, as unfortunately I don't have time to struggle through the entire Natops manual)

System specs:

Why don't you time it and provide some actual useful information

Yep, you should provide a few graphs that display trend data. If you could at least submit a comprehensive scientific report with notes and references and some outsourced analysis from a National Accredited Laboratory at the very least then your question might be answered.................in due course after the committee has had several meetings and a vote has been passed.

These are the usual channels you should go through before even considering a response.

Thank you.

Edited by Mule

Yep, you should provide a few graphs that display trend data. If you could at lest submit a comprehensive scientific report with notes and references and some outsourced analysis from a National Accredited Laboratory at the very least then your question might be answered.................in due course after the committee has had several meetings and a vote has been passed.

These are the usual channels you should go through before even considering a response.

Thank you.

:megalol: :thumbup:

System specs:

I once experienced the APU staying longer than it normally would and found out that my hotas throttle was not in sync in idle position.

Just a one time experience. Ensure your hotas throttle is all the way back when starting the two engines

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset