Anti-aliasing bug?

Donut

I have been messing around to try and get the best performance in DCS and noticed a possible bug with anti-aliasing. With SSAA 1.5 or MSAA 2x, I get almost exactly the same FPS but I feel that SSAA looks better. No problems here. My FPS was roughly the following for each one:

Sitting on the runway at Nellis in the Hornet

Looking forward: FPS 103

Looking left: FPS 68

The possible anti-aliasing bug that I noticed was that when I turned off all anti-aliasing, my FPS stayed the exact same. I was expecting a significant increase in FPS with anti-aliasing turned off but that was not the case. I restarted DCS, checked/unchecked full screen, tried LALT+ENTER and got the same results. Anyone else getting similar performance and if so, does this seem right?

Screen_181113_143658.thumb.png.27aaa2215b7757efbb5a41820c8ad768.png

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

This is a bad property of the DCS, in every direction you have a different fps.

When you turn on AA it gets worse, it depends on the complexity and the number of units in the mission.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

This is a bad property of the DCS, in every direction you have a different fps.

When you turn on AA it gets worse, it depends on the complexity and the number of units in the mission.

I can understand that. I would expect the drop in FPS as I look to more detailed areas. In my brief test above, I saw the FPS drop as I looked left towards the hangars.

My concern is that turning off anti-aliasing all together does not increase FPS.

I can understand that. I would expect the drop in FPS as I look to more detailed areas. In my brief test above, I saw the FPS drop as I looked left towards the hangars.

My concern is that turning off anti-aliasing all together does not increase FPS.

Did you reboot DCS between tests ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

That's really strange . I just ran a similar series of tests after a gpu upgrade , and every change was reflected in fps . This on stable . I should add that my tests were run in-flight over the Caucasus .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Okay everyone. Quick update here. I don't think this is a bug.

I did some further testing just now and what is happening is that I have several static aircraft on the ramp at Nellis. When I take them away, I noticed the FPS increase when anti-aliasing is off compared to on. It is only when the static aircraft are present that I don't see the difference in FPS between anti-aliasing on/off.

Lesson learned though...static aircraft are a huge hit on FPS

Edited by =BJM=

I did some further testing just now and what is happening is that I have several static aircraft on the ramp at Nellis. When I take them away, I noticed the FPS increase when anti-aliasing is off compared to on. It is only when the static aircraft are present that I don't not see the difference in FPS between anti-aliasing on/off.

They certainly are ! Kholki has a bunch of statics , and the frame rate is in the basement . Sure is pretty , though , and i don't mind low frames while taxiing .

I did some further testing just now and what is happening is that I have several static aircraft on the ramp at Nellis. When I take them away, I noticed the FPS increase when anti-aliasing is off compared to on. It is only when the static aircraft are present that I don't see the difference in FPS between anti-aliasing on/off.

Static aircrafts (hornet lot 20 !!) are not really a hudge "hit on fps" but are a real issue/bug.

I mean when you put some, what you see is fps AND cpu/gpu usage going down to half the normal numbers. It creates a limitation issue, but nothing to do with ressources (gpu/cpu).

So I consider it a bug and not a fps hit.

Static aircrafts (hornet lot 20 !!) are not really a hudge "hit on fps" but are a real issue/bug.

I mean when you put some, what you see is fps AND cpu/gpu usage going down to half the normal numbers. It creates a limitation issue, but nothing to do with ressources (gpu/cpu).

So I consider it a bug and not a fps hit.

I agree, it is a bug or at least due the Hornet not being optimized. I just did a little test and changed all my static Hornets to A-10's and the FPS drop was much less.

So, to sum this whole thread up, the strange FPS behavior had nothing to do with anti-aliasing, at least not directly, but was caused by the Hornet statics. I look at a Hornet and my FPS drops significantly.