Can't find anything to do in DCS World

ebabil

Hi guys,

DCS is my biggest pc hobby. I have the modules in my sig.

Recently i only play with F-18, Uh-1 and Mi-8. Don't feel like playing with fc3 and A-10C

I played payware and freeware missions, campaigns

I visit servers and can't see decent servers, most of them have no story, co-operation, proper briefings. Just take off and search something and get killed or kill.

I want to spend time even in editor but maps are dead as hell, so i feel so lonely and pointless

Recently i make some carrier landings, air refuel practices but that's all.

If i play in a living environment, if i can pick instant missions, free flights, it would be the best solution i beleive.

So, can you suggest some ideas? I don't want to run the game then close after 10-15 mins

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I'd suggest joining up with an online squadron and take part in mission nights with fun and proper planning. It adds a new dimension to the game, even tho DCS MP is ... lets put it nicely and use the word finicky ;)

(But if the mission maker knows his/her stuff most of the very varied fauna of MP-bugs can be avoided)

Hmm, servers with no proper briefings?

Suggest to check out for example:

Through the Inferno (2 servers Caucasus), Dynamic Warfare, Blueflag, 104th etc etc... there´s a ton of servers with a storyline or tasks to perform....

Same on Persian Gulf

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

And that was the point I began my Online party and realised I had been missing so much over the years.

Sure, it's not easy to find the right place, you might even spin up your own. You don't need that many people to make your experience amazing either.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

You want a new challenge, learn the Spitfire and then play the payware campaigns. I'm having an absolute ball.

Buy the Yak and practice precision aerobatics, and stall/spin training. Aerobatics with smoke is really fun. Great plane for sightseeing.

L-39 and P-51 around an Air Race course on the Nevada Map?

Mission design, highlight videos?

Maybe take a break from flight sims and play a fun game on Steam?

I just don't see how anyone could get bored with a flight simulator like DCS. There is always something new to learn. Maybe it just hasn't happened to me yet. I wish I had the time to get bored with DCS. I never seem to find enough time to fly these days.

Though I have not run out of juice from flight sims (probably never will) I do sometimes find myself exhausted from the same-ness, so I feel you.

I don't have other answers except what has been proposed: join a squadron. That said I would like to spark ideas or conversation considering this.

Technically all DCS public servers lack certain features that would make for a more engaging ride and challenge players to do something else than join, start the aircraft (and miss all checks and BITs) and just run to find something to kill.

Specifically:

#1 ATC. If you've never tried, suddenly having to actually use radios and to be aware of where you are and aren't allowed to go brings very much to the game especially at ingress and egress - the two things that (arguably) feel the most boring in a sim like this, because people want challenge. Once you juggle your radios and clearances and finally get to the AO you already feel like you've done something! I've run ATC for my group/squadron and you wouldn't believe the amount they suddenly focus on basics like taxiing and traffic circuit flying... and they enjoy the challenge.

#2 Human controlled Air defences. Now some servers do have this and this is something that, along with the ATC requires a player to willingly step away from the best bits (= flying) to control something that they themselves might not get that much out of... But a clever, dynamic SAM site is a sight to behold. In most cases in DCS Air defences are either a cake walk or there are so many that you can't even approach them - neither is actually fun for pilots. Now imagine attacking the target and soon realise you are surrounded by SAMs and you have to fight your way out... and hunting the SAMs would actually require tactics, not just an ARM and a button press...

#3 Weather and IFR approaches. The lack of this is naturally due to the simplistic weather modelling in DCS + the fact that most aircraft do not share the same suite of radio navigation equipment. But think about having dynamic or structured weather where the AO would have relatively good conditions (to allow for CAS and such), but on the airfields you'd actually need to get the aircraft down safely in IFR... Or a night-carrier landing... or forced AAR... Picture a wingman that has lost his instruments needing to fly on your wing down an ILS approach.

Now there are a lot of other things as well for sure, but I would really like to have even some of these on more public servers. At present even the best of them only feel like a shadow of what a really big and intensive scenario could be. I mean on Blue Flag or Dynamic DCS you literally need 4-6 players to conquer an airfield if there is no proper opposition... Air defence is a joke with AI and too many players play lone wolf.

I would like to see a minimum formation of 2 enforced on some servers (with the exception of, say, ELINT Viggen).

Food for thought.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

thanks for your answers.

first i will try to join a squadron. then i think i will wait for dynamic campaigns, and chase some good sp missions

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

I'm in the same boat as you right now, I love DCS but there isn't much for me to do.. the mission editor is a great and powerful tool but it is also very boring and tedious for me, plus it tends to take away almost all element of surprise since you literally hand place every unit.

I just got faster internet a few weeks ago so I might start dabbling in Multiplayer more often, but for the most part I'm just patiently waiting for Dynamic Campaigns because the online feature tends crashes on me a lot

I have the same probleme as well, I've played on 104th and blueflag, on blueflag you dont even understand what is attacking what, you cant even see friendlies airbase, you have to open an external page on your browser with a "lving map" which doesnt even shows friendlies, having to wait 40 minutes to refuel and rearm, and getting killed in 4 minutes...

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I have the same probleme as well, I've played on 104th and blueflag, on blueflag you dont even understand what is attacking what, you cant even see friendlies airbase, you have to open an external page on your browser with a "lving map" which doesnt even shows friendlies, having to wait 40 minutes to refuel and rearm, and getting killed in 4 minutes...

Yeah this.

Youtube

If you can't find a truly interesting squadron or campaign, there's a third option: take some time off and start reading on IRL conflicts: military history, the political background, tactics, weapons and technology... Reflect back on DCS and maybe you find whole new dimensions, or you can group up with some mission creators and do some of the writing for the mission.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

You miss the M2000c.

You can find the "vibe" you are searching for in the Red Flag Campaign.

One thing I dont like in DCS is , even without a proper Dynamic Campaing , at least would be nice to have the "instant mission" expanded with a more large scale war so we can create our own mission with a more lively environement.

Edited by beppe_goodoldrebel

+10

Before 2.5 I use to play a lot of MP mostly in the Huey on the 104th server and often we had to wait for a free slot, but after 2.5 its seems that everyone is gone..

About the briefing, in 1.5 there was a brief separately for all aircraft type, in 2.5 I dont know where to start and what to do.

I spend tons of time in 1.5 MP, now I just do some practice flying alone now and then and enjoy the beauty of the graphics. I miss 1.5 for the online experience and the MP mission..

I wish those days come back

ViperSniper

Edited by Olmba

Anything that is repetitious becomes boring. Try some other sims. Try a space sim. Lots of

games, military, ships, planes and free.Turn off your computer for a few months. Very good

chance you won't miss anything unless a new module is released, then the bug hunting begins

again.

1:st Join a squadron, allot of new SOP's, cooperation, comms, tactics etc. to learn. You get most of DCS by being in a squad.

2:nd Can you fly IFR? In UH-1 you can do ILS approaches in 100m visibility, in Mi-8 NDB approaches. In F-18, single engine CASE III. or TCAN approaches etc. Try it it's fun & all mil. pilots are IFR rated.

• Like 1

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.