English Electric Lightning F.6

Weta43

Iconic plane, flew for the British in West Germany & the Saudis against Egypt.

Super-cruised,

Short legs, but about the same range as a MiG-29

Intercepted a U-2 at > 26,000m :-)

The AI.23 was the world's first operational airborne monopulse radar system !

1280px-EE_Lightning_F6_XS904_BQ_%287173122840%29.jpg

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

You forgot one thing .

Ugly

God-awful ugly

I should file assault charges

:)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The F2 wasnt so ugly, before all the shit got glued on, and it still had its canon in the nose.

But I do agree, a module that would be fantastic to have in DCS, and what it didnt manage in a beauty contest, it sure made up for in just being awesome :thumbup:.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Well, you're not the first one who thinks about the F.6. :D

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=214717

I don't think its so ugly. Look at the A-10. Its not a beauty at the first glance, but I love to fly it.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Not even that, its thrust to weight ratio was 0.78, so it would not even be able to hold the speed it did have in a vertical climb, to just maintain altitude on thrust alone would require more than it had available, and no modern fighter could do it either, the overhead of fighting gravity with thrust would mean you'd have very little left to go supersonic with.

The F2 wasnt so ugly, before all the shit got glued on, and it still had its canon in the nose.

But I do agree, a module that would be fantastic to have in DCS, and what it didnt manage in a beauty contest, it sure made up for in just being awesome :thumbup:.

Viscerally , makes-me-wanna-puke , ugly ! And all that stuff stuck on was to make the aircraft actually perform its intended function .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I think people look at the Lightning with very rose tinted glasses, it was actually a very poor aircraft in terms of doing the job it was intended to do, the main thing being the incredibly limited armaments, only two short range IR missiles with a dubious reliability, and a pair of cannons (or no cannons at all in some versions)

It may have been fast, but if it was fast and it had no teeth, then what good was it really as anything other than a psychological band aid?

Other aircraft of the era had comparable performance, and the ability to actually do something useful, hence why it was quickly replaced in the role of the primary RAF interceptor by the Phantom, which had its first flight only four years after it, but had a much more respectable armament, and as a dogfighter that was asking too much of it, especially against what it would fight if it ever went to war.

Of course some will be angry at me saying that, but those are the facts, top notch performance, sub-par as an actual USEFUL weapons system.

The vertically stacked engines that introduced so many packaging problems also made it a maintenance nightmare . Interesting that the same team that brought us that abomination of an aircraft also gave us the Canberra , a beautiful , USEFUL and versatile aircraft that the U.S. was so impressed with that we adopted it (and adapted it) -the only foreign military aircraft the we did so since WW1 !

To be fair , i also despise the Lightning for displacing the Hunter .

Edited by Svsmokey