Next step after F-5E

bodaggit

So, I'm starting to get the hang of the F-5, and I totally love it. I think I'd like my next module to be a bit more ground attack focused, but the A-10C looks like a huge headache until I'm ready for it. :cry:

Any suggestions for the next step in difficulty? I'm thinking the Harrier or the Mirage (if I can get an English cockpit for it ha ha), but I'm still pretty new to this stuff. Thanks!

A10C if you want the current ultimate ground pounder with the wizzbang stuff. Lots to learn. recommended.

M2000 if you want a fast yet with limited A2G and Fox1 A2A. Recommended. It has an english cockpit option now but the french isn't hard to learn. A-> off, M -> on and that's kinda all you need to know. The rest you can figure out. Also, there's a lot of material on it.

Harrier -> This one is not yet complete and feels very clunky to use. I'd wait.

Hornet -> Would be a great module in a while once more of its systems are implemented and most bugs fixed. I'd wait on this one too.

So, I'm starting to get the hang of the F-5, and I totally love it. I think I'd like my next module to be a bit more ground attack focused, but the A-10C looks like a huge headache until I'm ready for it. :cry:

Any suggestions for the next step in difficulty? I'm thinking the Harrier or the Mirage (if I can get an English cockpit for it ha ha), but I'm still pretty new to this stuff. Thanks!

I'd highly recommend the Mirage, if you want to gradually step up difficulty but it's also really cool and fun plane to fly.

Another one to consider is the Viggen, but it's almost exclusive strike fighter with limited A2A capability. Harrier has a lot of systems and it's still a bit incomplete - if you are ok with it's a great plane.

I'd just make a list, LOL.

Edited by mdee

If the F-5 A/G capabilities are too limited for what you want to do, and you aren't going to be buying modules left and right like I do, then I'd recommend the Hornet, provided you are willing to wait for everything to be implemented slowly.

The Hornet will have the most comprehensive A/G stores and capabilities of all DCS modules once complete. Currently, it has Laser Mavericks, which can whet your appetite for PGMs. It also has Mk80 series bombs and CBUs for unguided munitions. With both CCIP and AUTO modes, you can perform a variety of ordnance release profiles with high accuracy. The Hornet has the added benefit of being a carrier capable aircraft, which I consider to be the best part about it. Right now, carrier ops is a relatively unique role for which the Hornet provides the best experience.

Alternatively, if you want the unique aspects of VSTOL, go with the Harrier. It currently has more A/G capabilities and stores as well.

A-10C has the longest loiter time, feature-complete, and of course, the very unique GAU-8 with PAC system.

So, if you are itching for A/G action, I'd choose one of the above three, based on what unique feature you really want:

Carrier Ops - Hornet

VSTOL - Harrier

Badass Gun - Hawg

My two favorite modules are the F5 and the A10C, and the A10C was actually my first DCS purchase.

If you are wanting to do more air to ground I wouldn't be too concerned about getting into the A10 as long as you don't try to learn everything at once. What I mean is that the F5 has already provided you a strong background for the systems you will use.

For example, the A10 has 3 radios but they all basically work the same as the radio in the F5, so that will be easy. The A10 has GPS/INS navigation that takes some learning, but it also has a TACAN receiver as well as an ILS. Since you already know how to navigate with the TACAN/HSI set from the F5, you can get from A to B in the A10 with minimal stress. And integrating the targeting pod with other weapon systems is a bit complex at first, but if you are used to doing manual depression bomb drops/rocket deliveries in the F5, CCIP bombs and rockets with the A10, along with improved cannon sight, will seem very easy by comparison.

All I am saying is that as long as you take a building block approach to learning the systems, I can't say enough good things about the A10, it is highly rewarding to learn. Just because you will have all the features of the aircraft available the first time you get into it, that doesn't mean you have to use all of them right away.

Also depending on your learning style finding someone to fly with online to talk you through the systems can be invaluable. Good luck.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

I’m going to say the Harrier, which IMO is a good deal easier than the A10 to learn and also unique in what it can do. Will also introduce you to the option of carriers.

For a quirky option, the Viggen. Bit of an oddball from the point of view of its design and use, but great fun, very fast at low level and the only full definition aircraft currently mounting a decent anti ship weapon.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Viggen is great. At a first glance it might feel like one trick pony but it's far from it - it has nice mix of weapons & pods that allow for many different kinds of missions. And the way Viggen does it's stuff is highly enjoyable - low, fast, precise. It's a perfect blend of old-school with hi-tech (for the time) computer helping you out with navigation, weapon delivery etc. Very fun to fly - but also very different feel than F-5E.

But I would re-consider A-10C too. Sure, it's very deep & complicated module when you really get into it - but getting started with gun, rockets & basic CCIP bombing with dumb bombs is relatively easy. Plus it has tons of campaigns available once you get the hang of it.

A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | Mig-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer

dont listen to all the puffed up gamers who try to talk things up and make a big deal out of "mastering" the a-10 like its some herculean accomplishment

engineers go to a lot of effort to make things progressively easier to use, not harder

you'll be surprised how braindead easy it is to operate the a-10

Edited by probad

You could always take one step back in order to take 2 steps forward. Get familiar with the SU-25 and A-10A in FC (or the free SU-25T). It would be a good break-in for some advanced weapons and might make the transition to something like the A-10 or F-18 a bit easier

dont listen to all the puffed up gamers who try to talk things up and make a big deal out of "mastering" the a-10 like its some herculean accomplishment

engineers go to a lot of effort to make things progressively easier to use, not harder

you'll be surprised how braindead easy it is to operate the a-10

Learning to use the A10C fully is an accomplishment. Clearly the rest of us mere mortals are not worthy to share the skies with you. We worship at the altar of your supremeness.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5 8600K CPU @ 3.6GHz, 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 500GB SSD (Exclusively for DCS World), Thrustmaster Warthog, Logitech G Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals. Track IR 5 with Pro Clip. Vaicom Pro.

EASA PPL(A), Glider Aerobatics. Modules: A-10C, F/A-18C, F-5E, Mirage 2000C, AV-8B N/A, Yak 52, Flaming Cliffs 3, Heatblur F14B/A, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle and all but one of the warbirds. Caucuses, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, Channel and Syria.

The A-10C is a really great A-G plattform with a strong focus on CAS, but it is indeed a monster in regards to system complexity. Its very rewarding to master it though.

The Mirage is a good step up from the F-5, with medium complexity, but it is somewhat limited especially in the A-G mission with only dumb bombs and rockets. It does have laser guided bombs though, but they require external lasing.

The Harrier would fit your preference pretty well, but it's still in pretty bad shape with a lot of stuff missing or so I would wait for it.

The Hornet is a true multirole aircraft with extensive A-A and A-G apabilities and its systems are not as complex as they are in the A-10C. The problem is, that most of its systems and weapons are not yet implemented, but the stuff that is available works alright.

My personal recommendation would be the Viggen though, which is a dedicated strike aircraft with very interesting functionalities. It's an early 70s aircraft, so it's complexity is limited, but it was way ahead of its time, so it has some pretty advanced features and it's just a lot of fun to ride :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I would go for Su-25T first. Even today it is most fullfilled Air-to-Ground attack aircraft DCS has. You do anti-ship, SEAD, Anti-Tank, Anti-building etc missions well.

Because it is not clickable cockpit aircraft, you have easier learning curve, but it still takes time to learn to operate it to full its potential. And because its Advanced Flight Modeling, you will feel the challenge to fly it.

The main challenges really are that you do not have a targeting pod that would let you to view easily to rear or sides, but when you are in attack mission, you don't need one because you do not have a pleasure to hangout somewhere searching targets, your mission is to fly low and fast to the target, pop-up and strike at one or two strafes and then get out. So no, you are not a support aircraft like a A-10A or A-10C is, where part of your mission is to circle a point for 1-2 hours waiting that ground troops issue you targets and you go there and drop one bomb on both targets and then return to orbit.

It is same class for support as A-10A and A-10C that you fly around your ground troops advancing and then ground units request support, signal you their position with flares and you dive there and deliver hell to the enemy troops and then back off to do a another strike on other position and then back to rearming and refueling at roadbase (for what Su-25 was designed for).

And when it comes to SEAD, not any other aircraft is as capable as Su-25T is. First of all, you have a ELINT pod that is missing from a A-10 (that uses only RWR) what gives you good picture where the radar emission units are on the ground. THen you have good arsenal of missiles or bombs to get delivered from stand-off range to radar emission targets. That is partially possible with a Harrier with its Sidearm missiles that are not so effective but are more against SPAAG kind units. And Hornet will not receive the same capabilities as Su-25 to be a fast as slow as required, and be heavily armored at low speeds when doing the attack against guns. So when the Hornet gets the HARM to do a long range anti-radar missions, it can't really do attacks well in complex air defended areas like Su-25 was designed to perform.

But, if you require a full fidelity module for the fun of the learning. I would recommend Harrier over Hornet. But if you want to have better Air-to-Air missions in future, Hornet is only option.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I think I'd like my next module to be a bit more ground attack focused ...

After all the feedback, I'm leaning toward the Mirage, but we'll see how the holiday sales stack up. :)

One thing to be aware of is that the Mirage is very limited in it's A/G capability.

It works best as a low level strike aircraft, dropping snake-eyes in a one pass, haul ass type attacks or as an fox 1/2 interceptor (it has a much more capable radar than the F-5E). While it's possible to drop Mk-82 and LGB's using CCRP, it can be quite limited and frustrating to use.

Due to the slow speed of the A-10C/Su-25T, I'd probably choose between the Harrier or Hornet for A/G.

Incidentally, if you would recommend one map to get would you get the Gulf map or Nevada?

The Gulf Map - though I have flown a couple of Nevada/Red Flag scenarios, it's much more satisfying to fly at altitude over the gulf.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

With regards to the map, I would say that all depends on in you spend your time online or offline doing missions and campaigns. If it is offline then I would go with Nevada as there is a lot more content in regards to DLC Campaigns (both for the F5 and the Mirage) for that map. If you spend your time in multi player then either would probably be fine

What about the Tomcat? Sure it's not out yet but it's pretty close now and while A2G wasn't it's main role it is definitely more capable than the F-5. Also I think that the Tomcat will be more of a challenge to become proficient mainly because of its flight dynamics.

The systems interfaces should be similar to the F-5 meaning you won't have to dig into MFD pages to find what you want but rather have actual buttons which should make it feel more familiar.

Moreover the existence of a RIO will help reduce the workload and help you focus on flying the plane. However you might not want that but instead learn how to operate the systems yield in which case you could also try being the RIO which will help you learn how to operate the systems without having to worry about flying the plane, helping you to focus better. Although you are going to need a friend in the front seat. Furthermore the Persian Gulf map and the Tomcat go together like bread and butter in case you choose that map.

F/A18C.

If your Coming From an F5E Its basically a Next generation Evolution of the Lightweight tactical Fighter Concept.

YOul get Versatility in what roles you want to do. ( bith A2A and A/G). Recently he HOrnet had JHMCS ( ONly A2A aspect) implemented. Coupled with the AIm9x, this makes the Hornet arguably the most lethal Platforms in a WVR fight.

Whilst in Early access and missing features, ITs still a more capable Aircraft in A2A and A/G operations even without a Targeting pod, A/G radar mode, or ability to self guide Smart munitions than the F5E.

Within the Next beta update The Hornet will get IR based mavericks, so youl be able to bust some tanks or other targets with stand off range and not have to rely on buddy lasing while still having a "fire and forget" capability.

ITs certainly more complex than the F5E, but ID argue still in some ways easier than an A10C despite having more MFD pages, and some additional Combat modes to memorize Such as Radar and A2A weapons operations

ID say the cockpit is logically laid out and there are less HOTAS functions In the Hornet than the A10 that you have to worry about mapping. IN terms of Startup and Shutdown, there is less switchology to memorize due to greater Automation.

AS with any Modern AIrcraft, dont be offput by complexity. The key is to learn 1 aspect at a time to not feel overwhelmed

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 1 month later...

As someone who is newer to DCS and also started out in the F-5, I can say that it is a great plane to learn in! That being said I will be working on learning the M-2000 and the F-14 when that finally releases. You have to just commit to the plane and stick with it.

Ryzen 7 3800x - 32G DDR4 3400Mhz - RTX 2070 - M.2 1TB - Saitek x52 - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals - Oculus Rift - 2 lap cats

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000, AJS37 Viggen, AV-8B, MIG-21bis, MIG-19P, Mig-15, F5-E3, F-86F, A-4, F-14, A-10C, JF-17

You have to just commit to the plane and stick with it.

This really is the most important part (as far as learning). I love the Viggen myself to learn on, great blend of automation and easy to fly (I mean it has a landing auto-pilot...) capability; but has its quirks too.

The other consideration is that like the F5, the Viggen and other 3rd Gen aircraft will be ideally easiest to learn in for DCS: Gens 1/2 are very temperamental and complex analog functions, Gen 4 is the most digitally advanced, but that comes at the cost of understanding advanced avionics suites (which once you know them are very easy, but from the onset can feel like a major undertaking). Gen 3 has the advantage of avionics supported flight and delivery, but a reliance on analog input into those systems.

As such - if you "master" or "grasp" advanced digital avionics the super user friendly approaches of modern aircraft will make you quickly lethal in DCS. (Nothing wrong with this approach).

Option 2 is Gen 3 aircraft which give a good introductory mastery of computerized aids while still having to master the basics of flight

And if you're crazy go after the early Gen aircraft where if you turn wrong the weapons fall off, your radar runs for 45 minutes only (if it has one), and if you master flying those you can fly anything including a flying squirrel.

If you have the F5 down pat the Gen 4 options are probably a good next step, but as a shameless Viggen promoter I would argue she's Gen 3.5.

The real question after all of that I suppose is what do you want: A2G or A2A? Which do you enjoy more, which do you already know (and do you want to learn the other or stick to what you know)? What kinds of mission profiles make you smile? The Viggen is a plan everything in advance, in quick, deliver everything, GTFO airframe - the A10 is a circle the battle space waiting for someone to need help then choose which godly tool to utilize to smite their foe. The Mirage has awesome multi-role capabilities but isn't good in a turning fight. Each jet has it's ideal use, you have to figure out which one is most interesting to you.

Just my .02.

---

AJS37 Viggen, F-16C Viper, Adobe Premier.

X56 HOTAS, Ryzen 7, GTX 2070S

youtube.com/leadnapgaming