Interesting findings on new VR setup

Supmua

Hardware:

Intel i9 9900K, overclocked all core 5.0 GHz.

ASUS DUAL RTX 2080TI overclocked/GPU boost to 1750 MHz (from 1635 base).

32GB 3600 RAM

HTC Vive Pro

Software:

DCS World Openbeta

PD setting 1.4

Everything high except Civilian off, Shadows Flat, Lens flare+dirt on, Cockpit Illum on, AA 16x.

SteamVR application manual override 100%.

Mission:

F/A-18C Training/Cold start

Right CTRL-Pause to show FPS on HMD

Results:

In cockpit FPS 23**

External view FPS 45+

Hardware Monitoring Results:

CPU core1 80%, core2 30-40%, the rest of the cores/threads fluctuate between 0-10%

CPU temp 51 C

Max VCORE 1.314 V

GPU 86%

GPU temp 57 C

When I turned off shadows FPS jumped to 45+ immediately, and interestingly setting shadows to Flat vs Medium vs High appear to yield similar FPS which was around 23. Turning off Cockpit Ilum, Lens flare or even downgrading PD to 1.0 did not result in FPS increase.

So it appears that with my setup, the single most important factor that affects performance is the Shadows which causes 22 FPS drop right away. Every other settings seem to have minimal effect on FPS. This mission is the absolute FPS killer for me so far as I never drop below 45 FPS in others. See if you guys can produce similar results or findings.

**Update: The latest version of SteamVR 1539100633 seems to improve my FPS which now ranges between 27-45 depending on where I'm looking at inside the cockpit.

Edited by Supmua
New update

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

When I turned off shadows FPS jumped to 45+ immediately, and interestingly setting shadows to Flat vs Medium vs High appear to yield similar FPS which was around 23. Turning off Cockpit Ilum, Lens flare or even downgrading PD to 1.0 did not result in FPS increase.

So it appears that with my setup, the single most important factor that affects performance is the Shadows which causes 22 FPS drop right away. Every other settings seem to have minimal effect on FPS. This mission is the absolute FPS killer for me so far as I never drop below 45 FPS in others. See if you guys can produce similar results or findings.

Oddly, I have the same experience with a some-what similar set up. All settings (except shadows) appear to have very little to no effect on FPS counter. I use a "benchmark" mission I created to test results.

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

That's crazy!! I have the same FPS with my setup (see sig) @ PD 1.2 :huh:

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

As you mentioned, dropping the shadows that gives to the biggest boost.

reason for that is that building the shadow reder target is CPU intensive. one it's redered in the GPU it's the sent back as an additional texture.

but creating this RT texture needs CPU horsepower from the main DCS thread, which is the bottleneck anyways.

Edited by uri_ba

wow! that’s a LOT of hardware!

i would have thought you’d get more than 23 fps

Yeah, I spent big bucks on the new rig hoping to get great fps in VR with all the visual effects on. Apparently, it's still not quite enough in certain situations. I would imagine in ground missions that have lots of objects moving around casting shadows it would be worse.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Yeah, I spent big bucks on the new rig hoping to get great fps in VR with all the visual effects on. Apparently, it's still not quite enough in certain situations. I would imagine in ground missions that have lots of objects moving around casting shadows it would be worse.

on a side note, just curious. Have you used the VR shaders mod?

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

What about MSAA ? In my experience it has even a bigger impact than shadows...

MSSA 2x or 4x doesn't budge my FPS on PD setting of 1.0, I maintain 45+ in that training mission as long as shadows are off.

Edit: OK I take that back, MSSA setting does affect performance significantly but the DCS app needs to be restarted before it is applied. Left the MSSA at 4x quitted the app and restarted, now my FPS display on the menu screen is halved (from 90 to 45 fps, this is with PD of 1.4).

Edited by Supmua

on a side note, just curious. Have you used the VR shaders mod?

I have tried it with my older PC rig but didn't like the look and ended up removing it.

Why is this hot news?

Never said anything about hot news. These are findings related to VR perfomance with the newest chips from Intel and NVIDIA that *some* (especially those who are building or planning to build new PCs) may find interesting. My conclusion, don't expect magical FPS numbers in DCS VR with the newest CPU/GPU combination especially when you include shadows.

I absolutely appreciate this post. Was thinking about doing the same CPU upgrade from an i7-6700, but seems like there is no point. The rest of mye setup includes an RTX2080TI, 16GB RAM and an M2SSD.

Have you tested the F-18 1989 CAS mission? On the carrier I get like 20FPS while the CPU and GPU are just running at ~60%. Seems like shadows, (multiple) cloud and particles (snow/rain) absolutely kill VR performance and underutilized the hardware.

Hardware monitor screen grabs:

optimize2.png

I absolutely appreciate this post. Was thinking about doing the same CPU upgrade from an i7-6700, but seems like there is no point. The rest of mye setup includes an RTX2080TI, 16GB RAM and an M2SSD.

Have you tested the F-18 1989 CAS mission? On the carrier I get like 20FPS while the CPU and GPU are just running at ~60%. Seems like shadows, (multiple) cloud and particles (snow/rain) absolutely kill VR performance and underutilized the hardware.

I did a test after reading your post (been playing in 2D, lol). Anyway my FPS inside the cockpit was between 35-45, averaging 45 when looking straight but it dipped when I looked down and turned my head side to side quickly. The FPS fluctuation, however, was much greater in external view. I got as low as 23 FPS when the carrier tower was in the background right behind my plane, if I spinned the camera elsewhere it was 45 FPS. The snow effect in VR was awesome, but it also really tanked the FPS when there are several objects in the view. This was Vive Pro running PD 1.5.

I also messed around with SteamVR default.vrsettings file and raised "renderTargetMultiplier" to 2.0 (supposedly increased sharpness in other games at the expense of FPS). This appears to have no effect in DCS, no visible change in image quality or FPS.

I have to say that SteamVR's recent addition of Motion Smoothing really helps with the gameplay, prior to that the game was not playable to me at FPS below 40 due to significant stuttering when you turn your head side to side quickly. Now everything is relatively smooth as long as the FPS stays above 30.

Edited by Supmua

Hi all. The problem in the mission you use (training F/A-18c cold start caucasus), "Killing" the fps at same time than under using GPU is just the static Hornets lot20.

I guess it's a known enough bug (I mean ED is aware - and that probably will be solved when devellopment is achieved)

Here a hardware monitoring of this same mission, in yellow the original, and in green the same but with F/A-18c statics instead of F/A-18c Lot 20 : (just 1 minute or so in each mission)

[ATTACH]198519[/ATTACH]

That said, in the F/A-18c 1989 CAS mission, there is no static Lot20 Hornet (only your wingman is Lot20, wich in my experience is zero issue - see monitoring -, and the statics and inflight other hornets are old ones, not Lot20) but the performances are low, with also a weird GPU usage (FPS are sawteeth under 45 and GPU usage is also sawteeth, not hitting 100% before loosing fps...).

I think it's related to rain/snowfall heavy weather plus many units doing conetrails above the carrier …? But looking FPS, in relation to GPU and CPU usage seems as bugged as if statics Hornets Lot20 were used.

[ATTACH]198566[/ATTACH]