Standalone or Steam?

Bubba Yagga

- Steam releases are always a while after standalone releases

- I'd say ED support is better on standalone, there's been a number of issues with steam compatibility in the past, though I think its better now.

- If you buy via Steam, then Steam takes a cut of the money meaning less funds for ED for future development.

- I always advice people I play with to buy standalone just to make sure we are all able to get the same updates at the same time.

- you get a little more control over your file directory by not having it in steam in case of modding/tweaking.

my 2 cents

- Steam releases are always a while after standalone releases

- I'd say ED support is better on standalone, there's been a number of issues with steam compatibility in the past, though I think its better now.

- If you buy via Steam, then Steam takes a cut of the money meaning less funds for ED for future development.

- I always advice people I play with to buy standalone just to make sure we are all able to get the same updates at the same time.

- you get a little more control over your file directory by not having it in steam in case of modding/tweaking.

my 2 cents

Usually I like to wait for multiple opinions (and I will) but you make a darned solid argument.

TY

I do not personally see the problems that others reported with the steam version:

In the past there was a significant delay before modules were released on the steam version, but currently it is at most by a couple weeks. No problems with mods on the steam version on my side, with or without JSGME. Also support is now excellent, with NineLine and Wags regularly posting over there.

The steam version has nevertheless one advantage, unless you are limited by your internet provider: a much faster download speed.

And with Steam, you can check out if the module is as advertised and get a refund if necessary.

You also get to use the Steam Overlay, which makes you able to stream music in-game (Local or through Spotify), a stream-lined ability to make screenshots, and keeps the manual always one button-away. If you're in the EU, prices on the Steam Store are better as well.

There really is no reason to pick standalone over Steam

Edited by Vincent90
Àdded the pricing argument

There really is no reason to pick standalone over Steam

You might have missed Essah's post then..

Steam Overlay can be used with standalone as well; with any game actually, I used to use it to take screenshots and upload them.

I am usually a big fan of Steam but DCS is the exception. With the stand alone, on top of the reasons Essah has mentioned, there's more flexibility as well: you can fork, split and move DCS around, very handy to maintain different versions of DCS. For instance, you can just between OB and stable with a line in the console or have different OB branches is case your group doesn't update as soon as the patch is available (whereas usually online server are almost always up to date).

The only reason for using Steam might be the download speed but it's usually not a big issue.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

The only benefits of Steam currently is generally better DL speeds*, plus the ability to trial modules by using the Steam refund feature.

Otherwise, standalone has a lot more pluses as outlined above. You also can occasionally make good use of the bonus points you can accrue and get an older module very cheap.

Steam Overlay is a moot point, as you can add standalone as a non-steam game and still use it.

*only matters if you trying to dl a patch immediately and can't wait a few hours. Generally next day you get the same speeds if going to ED directly.

Steam and Stand Alone version are very close to each other. I suggest you base your decision on if you already use Steam for other games, if you are into having multiple different versions of the game installed at once (!) and if you are patient with new module releases. The point of having other games via Steam should probably given the highest priority when deciding.

If you are into VR and considering to use a HTC VIVE you need Steam anyway.

I don't know what your background on playing computer games is. As you are new to this forum you may also be new to DCS (hence your question in the first place) and possibly to video gaming. If that is the case you should not focus on modding directly, also modding is quite possible with Steam as well, as pointed out above.

Important to note is, that when people here on these forums are talking about "getting stuff earlier", that usually means "early access" or "beta versions". These are early test versions and are most likely buggy. If you are not absolutely (!) sure playing "broken" games and report issues you encountered is a thing for you (and highly likely it is not), you should stay away from these versions anyway. Most people are surely fine with only the release version of DCS possibly the Open Beta, but I would assume having multiple of each is a rather rare case, when looking at the community as a whole. Therefore, the early-bird argument may not be very important for you. Plus, switching between release or OB versions is easy with Steam, five clicks without bothering the command line at all. And having multiple versions is possible with Steam as well.

Also, the point of "earlier updates" mainly refers to the availability of new modules, which are released to Steam a few days/weeks later compared to Stand Alone. However, since Stand Alone users tested the module in the mean time, Steam versions have the respective fixes right from the get go. Updates to the base game seem to run on the same schedule for both versions (Steam - SA).

Download speeds are better with Steam, which seems to be an issue when new things are released. Look for threads of when NTTR, DCS 2.5 or Persian Gulf got released.

Be very careful when the discussion comes to the cut-the-middle-man argument, since it is built on a rather shaky foundation. While it may seem to be reasonable at first glance, it is really more of a strawman argument. Valve is providing a service (Steam) to game companies and certainly want to get payed for it, in the same way ED certainly wants to get their share for the services (DCS) they provide to the third party developers. It may make sense to think a bit about this argument. At first it means, people who follow it can't buy any of ED's products on any form of discount (including bonus points), or buy modules in any other way as from the (third) developers directly (if this is possible), without being hypocrites. Mainly, because the cut-the-middle-man is portrait as they want to get more money to the respective developer. Also, I'm sure that buying directly from the third party may still end up that ED get a share, because the third party still uses DCS. It would be rather strange from an ED point of view to let others use DCS without paying for using it when selling the modules from the third party directly instead of the e-shop. Meaning, when people would really follow that through, the third parties would actually need to develop their own flight simulation environment, assets and maps to not pay ED. To put this into perspective by a real live example, it would mean that you need to buy your own land, your own cow, milk it and produce butter from the milk, instead of going to the supermarket and simply buy it.

Steam provides a good service for games in general, like internal forums, the mentioned overlay (that is also available for non-Steam games) as a hub to access various functions and voice chat. It provides even more functionality, which unfortunately isn't implemented for DCS, yet, like the ability to join your friends game with a couple of clicks.

There are several pros and cons for both. They might be not so big concerns as would first appear - but there are more than you'd think of.

It's important to notice how difficult it will be to migrate between the two.

Steam lets DCS benefit from the network marketing effects that the platform generates. In other words if you choose Steam there will be more players to DCS and ED may end up with getting more money.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Myth is that Steam receives updates later. Both are up to date to same version is same time. Standalone will be allways without any 3rd party cuts, different DRM or so. Steam will allways have it's own DRM so game mods are not compatible with each other. There are 0 restrictions regardless which version you play. Steam, standalone doesn't matter. All players can fly together. For most people it is obvious choice to play on standalone. I prefer Steam for single account for more games. Don't like idea to have different purchase platform (also don't get why purchase is bind to purchase platform rather than game account). Also for security reasons and own convinience you probalby already have authorized payment on Steam so no need to add another. This is really personal opinion and no ody should force you and tell you what should you pick. None are better or worst, it's just your own personal choice which you will prefer.

- sales are mixed bad, discounts used to be a lot higher on standalone but now its mostly the same for steam and standalone- not a factor while choosing steam/standalone

- steam uses steam wallet which is really helpful in saving some money if you are engaged in some steam market activity like selling items on steam market etc (i fund this way most of my purchases on steam, without need to use my "real" money)

- much higher download speeds on steam

- automatic updates on steam

- refunds on steam

- negative reviews on steam, which are pure comedy gold (mostly, like the one saying dcs is hard)

few points from steam user ;>

edit: Steam uses regional currencies which sometimes lets you get a better deal or save on exchange (depending or your payment option), not to mention more payment options over all

Edited by felthat

I also struggled with this dilemma. I, however, do have a slight option. A-10C, F-15C, and a few other modules I have I bought on Steam not knowing you can buy direct from ED at the time, but long enough ago to be able to use the modules on either Steam or Standalone. Then the rules changed, but I was grandfathered in, so I can still use (the last time I checked) both the modules on both platforms.

But then when the 2.5 Beta came out, I was faced with the dilemma. When I get new modules, which way should I go? There was the download issue (speed and whether or not getting it direct or by torrent), there was the update issue, there was the discount issue. I decided to stick with Steam so that I wouldn't have TWO copies of DCS on my hard drive where space is at a premium. I also at the time didn't really have the time to play DCS let alone learn aircraft, so waiting a few weeks or more wasn't an issue to me. I was already familiar with the intricacies of the file structure in Steam. If I had a problem I could just run a file integrity check and it would fix itself (maybe you can do that standalone too). I guessw what I'm saying is that in my particular situtation, the Steam route was not so much the better of the two, but the more convenient and more hassle-free for MY particular situation. The only thing I had an issue with were the discounts. At the time, the discounts seemed to be better on Standalone than DCS and I'd have to wait more than a few weeks to get the latest updates on Steam. But now, they are about the same discount and the updates come in less than 2 weeks (for modules) or the same day (for DCS World and flight models).

Now there are times here and there where the discounts aren't the best. For instance, I planned on buying the F-14 and saw that Heatblur offers a "crew pack" where you get a nice discount for buying two licenses, which I would love to do. But I need standalone, which at this point with the mods I do have, doesn't make sense to get just for that aircraft. So I went to Steam who only recently put the F-14 on for pre-order after what, about a month after Heatblur came out with it (which is what I'd expect, no biggie) and they only have single licenses. I asked Heatblur if they will sell the crew pack on Steam and they said probably not because of the way the licenses are managed.

So, there is a slight disadvantage there--I can't get a good discount buying two licenses on Standalone as it's not offered on Steam. However, on the other hand, Steam has single licenses for 10% off, which is NOT that much a difference from the discount offered by Heatblur for a single license. About the only other thing I'm missing out on is getting a license with a cool F-14 squadron T-Shirt.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

i want to switch to steam after using standalone for along time. because in my country there is a huge price gap. but i don't want to buy all my modules again :(

i am using an 500gb ssd and 1tb hdd and i installed my steam into my hdd and my dcs world stand alone into my ssd

if i switch to steam version, can i install my dcs world steam into my ssd whereas i keep my other steam games and steam directory in hdd?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

if i switch to steam version, can i install my dcs world steam into my ssd whereas i keep my other steam games and steam directory in hdd?

You can set up multiple steam directories. I think I have game spread over like 4 drives to optimize capacity and performance for each. You can easily move the game around by clicking on it -> Properties -> Local files.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS