AA jagged edge transparency bug all games. workaround but does not work HDR/def shad

trigen

I apologize if this is a bit of a double post but bear with me.

A while back i started to get this jagged edge/shimmer issue after a reinstall and no amount of AA fixes it. Ive reinstalled lots of different windows and driver version. Hw changes, Ryzen, intel amd, nvidia, etc Windows 1709 showed some better results on vertical lines but steamVR refuse to work on that version to i cant really check it that only works in the corner on 1803. You will see what i mean in the first video

Ive been looking at it again and discovered it has 100% to do with some transparency AA issue (perhaps in combination with mipmapping) thats not being correctly applied.

I have never enabled Transparency AA in my life and have never had any issues with this kind of flickering/shimmer.

Transparency AA does not seem to work with HDR (i can keep HDR on in 2.5.0 but feels like it forces it off when transparency i set on in control panel)

Does not work with deferred shading

Enabling 8x SS transparency supersampling in control panel/inspector and my sims looks about what they did before. The severe boiling(shimmer feel is greatly reduced (almost gone) using 4xMSAA and 8x SS transparency. So the big question is, why? X plane was fine with 2x AA and FXAA. DCS used to be just fine at 2x

This sadly is only a work around. Looks like there is some issue in windows itself.

Id like to fly the Hornet but seeing as i got this issue and only deferred shading is available im a bit ****ed.

This is 2.5.3 with only deferred shading available.

Its a little hard to see but things are far better with the transparency AA on

Edited by trigen

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

I have always been under the impression those Nvidia settings would not apply to VR.

I know power management does " Prefer Max Perfomance", but thought that was about the only one that did.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have always been under the impression those Nvidia settings would not apply to VR.

I know power management does " Prefer Max Perfomance", but thought that was about the only one that did.

Not much of them do and ive had to disable HDR (not 100% sure on the HDR its enabled and i get the transparency fix but if its disabled or not i im not sure, it dont work with HDR in X plane but i could be due to teh SSA they use over MFAA) and/or Deferred so i guess its somewhat true. The in game SSAA is supposed to anti alias the full screen including transparency (if i understand it correctly, its a bit hard to find proper info on) but i honestly see zero difference in the image quality when i put it to 2x in DCS. It essentially has no effect other than using gpu power that i see. Maybe 2x just isnt enough for it. Since it does use resources something must be happening but i cant see it. Regular PD also has marginal to no effect on these jaggies unless you put the TrSSAA to 8x.

Edited by trigen

Some examples of how it should look

Assuming the full screen ones are taken from mirror view

Watch from about 47:10 See the menu text perfectly clean white. same with labels in the cockpit. For me all this shimmers like crazy all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhF_mPk07WY

Vr KA 50. where my gauges will flicker and be all over the place here its completely fine with maybe a a hint of shimmer

Same here, no issues.

Hornet. Here my engine power is pretty much boiling at all times and the green text on the over the map is noisy as hell. Cant see anything here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhF_mPk07WY

Same here, I'ved never got any of the Nvidia Setting to do anything in VR (with DCS World, anyway).

Might be if you don't have the issues I do you wouldn't see any difference. Only thing I can think of. I didn't think they did anything ( transparency works without actually overriding any AA setting but dont work with hdr or deferred) either apart from texture filtering quality

Edited by trigen

I have noticed this too. The other day I adjusted some settings in game and NVCP and the VR experience amazing never seen it so clear, no MSAA AF X4 solid 45fps topping 90. On the next reboot everything was terrible. Shimmering lines and no AA no matter which setting it was on, everything maxed out has only made it slightly better but frame rates are down to 30ish. so want it back how it was.

I did some playing around today and I think what you're experiencing is WMR's newish motion reprojection. With it enabled, my guages do shimmer, and most anti-aliasing effects are pretty much completely negated by the way motion reprojection is replacing the missed frames. In another sim I play it causes some weirdness when looking at a gunsight or at the propeller on the nose of aircraft, as well as other oddities.

I commented out the feature in the mixed reality for steam VR settings file and applied 2x msaa at my current PD setting of 1.8 and my guages had smooth straight edges and the shimmer effect was minimalized.

The problem there is I'm only pulling about 60fps on the ground doing the nevada tour instant action in the p-51D and the world outside of the cockpit is kind of like watching a slideshow when I look around in flight.

Motion reprojection being the culprit would explain why you're experiencing this in all your VR simming titles. Personally, I'd rather deal with the shimmers as it really makes the overall experience feel much smoother, despite the added aliasing and other weirdness. AFAIK occulus and vive's ASW and ASR introduce some graphical anomalies of their own, although they do provide smoother gameplay when you can't maintain 90fps.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I did some playing around today and I think what you're experiencing is WMR's newish motion reprojection. With it enabled, my guages do shimmer, and most anti-aliasing effects are pretty much completely negated by the way motion reprojection is replacing the missed frames. In another sim I play it causes some weirdness when looking at a gunsight or at the propeller on the nose of aircraft, as well as other oddities.

I commented out the feature in the mixed reality for steam VR settings file and applied 2x msaa at my current PD setting of 1.8 and my guages had smooth straight edges and the shimmer effect was minimalized.

The problem there is I'm only pulling about 60fps on the ground doing the nevada tour instant action in the p-51D and the world outside of the cockpit is kind of like watching a slideshow when I look around in flight.

Motion reprojection being the culprit would explain why you're experiencing this in all your VR simming titles. Personally, I'd rather deal with the shimmers as it really makes the overall experience feel much smoother, despite the added aliasing and other weirdness. AFAIK occulus and vive's ASW and ASR introduce some graphical anomalies of their own, although they do provide smoother gameplay when you can't maintain 90fps.

It does have some effect but i dont think its the issue here.

If you look at the corner of the this pic. This is happening in the WMR cliff house too (

) . It was working just fine in windows 1709 in the Cliff house but with 1803 it does not. So there is definitively something that's not quite right. Sadly i cant test it in 1709 cause Steam VR refuse to work without updating windows.

Also Like this line on the shelfs in the (This is with the Rift not odyssey ) rift house going from fine to transparent and AA'd .

Another things and well i dont know if it should be this way but im always seeing some high frequency noise on the HMD (odyssey) but maybe your natural micro head movement would cancel it out. I would sure like to see the picture steady when its on the desk

Its not by a large amount but more than enough to make my VR experience rather horrible with the constant line flicker.

In position only mode its rock solid.

Do you guys have this? Feels like there is a noise filter that has been broken or it could be something in windows

1353477031_shimmercornerdcs.thumb.png.7181e2798c9363dccf8af695b5a0fa68.png