not really a crash

silverdevil

hey all. i just tried to run DCS and it will not open. i get an error

this-app-cant-run-on-your-pc.png

i tried to run the updater via the command line and got same error. for some reason windows 10 does not like the dcs_updater.exe. the game is not producing a dcs log. obviously i cannot run a repair.

no changes have been made to pc since i successfully ran the game. i just learned how to use CBUs. please help :D any ideas?

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

update to anyone else having the issue.

thankfully i have a good backup. what i did to correct the issue was to rename the dcs_updater.exe (interesting that it had today's date) to .BAD and restored the file from a few days ago. worked like a charm. so not sure why but the file i had was a problem.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I think it is Windows update 1809 causing the problems. My PC suddenly started to reboot itself this afternoon about 5 mins into the game ( just when starting engine one on the Hornet) or thereabouts. Tried it about five times with the same result.

Tried it again with a huey mission, 5 mins in, PC rebooted.

No problems otherwise, only with DCS. A quick internet search revealed 1809 causing problems, so looked in system restore. It has tried and failed to install on many occasions, so I rolled it back to before the update.

Of course, because it restarted, there are no crash logs.....

It has now bricked my rift....:cry:

Having to reinstall all the usb, Nvidia and Oculus software / drivers to get it back up and running again.. May even have to reinstall Windows, not a prospect I am looking forward to.

In this case I don't think it is ED's fault, but is the fault of a new Windows update incompatibility or a failed update file corruption.

Specifics..

PG Map, huey and hornet. Oculus Rift. First restart happened in mission editor and subsequently several times in the modified mission. Restart occurred in totally separate mission / aircraft but same map thereafter as I thought it may have been the change of hornet skin causing it.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I think it is Windows update 1809 causing the problems. My PC suddenly started to reboot itself this afternoon about 5 mins into the game ( just when starting engine one on the Hornet) or thereabouts. Tried it about five times with the same result.

Tried it again with a huey mission, 5 mins in, PC rebooted.

No problems otherwise, only with DCS. A quick internet search revealed 1809 causing problems, so looked in system restore. It has tried and failed to install on many occasions, so I rolled it back to before the update.

Of course, because it restarted, there are no crash logs.....

It has now bricked my rift....:cry:

Having to reinstall all the usb, Nvidia and Oculus software / drivers to get it back up and running again.. May even have to reinstall Windows, not a prospect I am looking forward to.

In this case I don't think it is ED's fault, but is the fault of a new Windows update incompatibility or a failed update file corruption.

Specifics..

PG Map, huey and hornet. Oculus Rift. First restart happened in mission editor and subsequently several times in the modified mission. Restart occurred in totally separate mission / aircraft but same map thereafter as I thought it may have been the change of hornet skin causing it.

wow. sounds like your experience was more involved than mine. i too do not think this issue is on ED. on 11/14/18 windows installed this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4467702/windows-10-update-kb4467702. on 11/15/18 windows installed this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023057/update-to-windows-10-versions-1507-1511-1607-1703-1709-and-1803-for-up. knowing this i think the update on 11/15/18 is likely the culprit.

Having reinstalled everything and Windows finally managed to fully install the update, the restart problem has gone away. Out on the internet, it appears that a lot of people are getting install failures on this update.

Good old Microsoft. How I clap my hands in glee when I start up my PC and it says it's updating Windows....not.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.