Shading

Ravenndd

Now I know what people going to say this topic has been addressed but the only thing I can find are people talking about what they think will help. No actual help. The problem is with shading. It sucks! The lines are super jagged and almost blinking. I know this isn’t right because I see all the YouTube posts and it looks great. I have a i7-8700k @ 5.0 ghz a RTX 2080ti, 32gb ram on 32” 4K monitor. It’s almost unplayable the shading is so bad and that’s at every setting. I have tried changing all the settings and nothing makes it even remotely closer to better. Please help anyone that has actually had this problem. Some one has to have experienced this. Thanks.

Do you have any screenshots or video of your issue? That would give people a little more to work with than "The problem is with shading. It sucks!"

It sounds like your issue is with aliasing not shading, but it's hard to tell without something to look at.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

Shadows can be a problem maybe lower the settings to flat only and terrain object shadows to flat and see if that helps.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I was out of town working last week so I couldn’t try this fix until last night and it worked! It looks amazing now. The only issue I had was that when I originally modified the numbers it saved as a txt file. I had to learn how to modify it then save as a .lua after by using notepad++. Once I did that it works perfectly. So if anyone has tried this and it hasn’t worked that’s your problem. Thanks again Otto.

I’m just curious as to why this is even necessary? Does Eagle Dynamics not know about it? Just seems strange that’s all.

Ravenndd - I think the original settings only include "low" shadowmaps résolutions because the will is to keep homogenous shadow options.

On the highest setting (high shadows actually) having high res shadowmap will apply it both on cockpit AND external objects, with pretty high visible distance for the lasts.

Too much impact on performances.

A thing that would be cool would be to have 1 shadowmap res (high) for cockpit and 1 (lower) for all other objects (not the case actually). That would be realisticly doable ? (but I don't know if it's a 1 clic fix from developpers point of view).

But shadows are like clouds - it's meant to be replaced by new effects so I don't expect ED will spent time on actual shadows system. (actual system has more issue than just low shadowmap résolutions by default, it also has bugs in transitions from very close to more far distance, interaction with mesh, and some like that)