NOW AVAILABLE: Community A-4E-C Mod

Nice tribute from HB in the Tomcat launch vid,

Very worthy nod to all involved here,

attachment.php?attachmentid=205939&stc=1&d=1552084836

We have now a nice beautiful A-4, and the Cat is coming next week.

About time to replay this:

:pilotfly:

i think the pilot model is to small. it should be more look like this.

zrmsNLK.jpg

I agree. I wanted to mention that, too. The Scooter cockpit is very small and tight. I've sat in one...with the canopy open only and I thought it was a bit cramped. I also think the canopy/windshield frame is too peaked or pyramidal shaped. I don't think it's too tall, should just be more evenly rounded, but I need to gather pictures from real aircraft to prove it. Such as the actual perspective from the pilot's eye. (I took such pictures in an A-4F ten-or-so years ago, but have to find them).

Also, the nose and forward fuselage seem too rounded out, too fat. The black nose tip should be circular or maybe slightly vertically oval when viewed head on. On this 3D model it appears somewhat square-ish and too wide, because the nose shape is too fat, I think.

The air intakes are too dark inside. They should be cleaner, whiter (not pure white, though).

The tail pipe is much too bright. It should be dark, nearly black and the exhaust-end of the engine just barely visible, if at all.

Engine compressor and turbine blades texture is all fouled up--something wrong with it. I think they should just be a motionless blur above about 10-15% RPM, anyway. Engine should take at least 60 seconds to spool down to a stop from idle speed...if possible in DCS. Should coast to a stop from about 5% RPM during the last half of that minute. As fast as it spools down to a stop in DCS would indicate the main bearings are shot, I think, and the engine needs a major overhaul. The compressor blades make a rattling or clattering sound during that last 20 seconds or so...right up until it stops. I think most jet engines with individual blades inserted in a hub do this. But I think it should be particularly noticeable on the A-4 since the pilot sits right in front of the engine. I have not heard a Harrier engine spin to a stop, but I suspect it does the same thing with the pilot right there in front of it. Minor, but it adds to the realism, immersion. An F-4B Phantom II pilot described the J79 engines clanking to a stop in his book. When you hear that sound, you become aware of all the blades in that engine.

Wing slats should hang lower and with a small, even gap from the wing from inboard to outboard. The slat tracks should be more curved downward, and thinner laterally.

Main gear wheels (not tires) are too large in diameter and the rubber tires should be thicker, radially. There is an A-4C, A-4F, A-4M & TA-4J on display at a museum a few miles from me. I can take a ruler and measure the wheels if you want. The wheels also need a texture touch-up so they look like the wheels on all the real A-4 aircraft. Small, central hub circle and wheel lug bolts visible with a little shading just inside the rim.

I wish the rotating beacons could glow and flash like the real thing, but maybe that's not possible outside of SDK. In other words, take a flashlight (one with a reflector) and shining it at yourself, rotate it back and forth. You can see the dim light continuously and when the beam hits your face, you see the flash of brightness. Do not show the projected red light beam on the fuselage or anything when the sun is above the horizon...if possible.

Don't take these as criticisms. I just want as realistic an A-4 as possible.

There is a reason they are called Scooters,They are SMALL! I worked on A-6's but helped out on Scooters a few time (especially at WTI's for any of you other old Jarheads :megalol:) I was told they weighted less than the fuel of an Intruder,no idea if it if that is true.

I knew some of there pilots and was told by more than one that the roll rate was so fast and the cockpit so small,you had to brace yourself or it would bounce your head off the canopy!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree. I wanted to mention that, too. The Scooter cockpit is very small and tight. I've sat in one...with the canopy open only and I thought it was a bit cramped. I also think the canopy/windshield frame is too peaked or pyramidal shaped. I don't think it's too tall, should just be more evenly rounded, but I need to gather pictures from real aircraft to prove it. Such as the actual perspective from the pilot's eye. (I took such pictures in an A-4F ten-or-so years ago, but have to find them).

Also, the nose and forward fuselage seem too rounded out, too fat. The black nose tip should be circular or maybe slightly vertically oval when viewed head on. On this 3D model it appears somewhat square-ish and too wide, because the nose shape is too fat, I think.

The air intakes are too dark inside. They should be cleaner, whiter (not pure white, though).

The tail pipe is much too bright. It should be dark, nearly black and the exhaust-end of the engine just barely visible, if at all.

Engine compressor and turbine blades texture is all fouled up--something wrong with it. I think they should just be a motionless blur above about 10-15% RPM, anyway. Engine should take at least 60 seconds to spool down to a stop from idle speed...if possible in DCS. Should coast to a stop from about 5% RPM during the last half of that minute. As fast as it spools down to a stop in DCS would indicate the main bearings are shot, I think, and the engine needs a major overhaul. The compressor blades make a rattling or clattering sound during that last 20 seconds or so...right up until it stops. I think most jet engines with individual blades inserted in a hub do this. But I think it should be particularly noticeable on the A-4 since the pilot sits right in front of the engine. I have not heard a Harrier engine spin to a stop, but I suspect it does the same thing with the pilot right there in front of it. Minor, but it adds to the realism, immersion. An F-4B Phantom II pilot described the J79 engines clanking to a stop in his book. When you hear that sound, you become aware of all the blades in that engine.

Wing slats should hang lower and with a small, even gap from the wing from inboard to outboard. The slat tracks should be more curved downward, and thinner laterally.

Main gear wheels (not tires) are too large in diameter and the rubber tires should be thicker, radially. There is an A-4C, A-4F, A-4M & TA-4J on display at a museum a few miles from me. I can take a ruler and measure the wheels if you want. The wheels also need a texture touch-up so they look like the wheels on all the real A-4 aircraft. Small, central hub circle and wheel lug bolts visible with a little shading just inside the rim.

I wish the rotating beacons could glow and flash like the real thing, but maybe that's not possible outside of SDK. In other words, take a flashlight (one with a reflector) and shining it at yourself, rotate it back and forth. You can see the dim light continuously and when the beam hits your face, you see the flash of brightness. Do not show the projected red light beam on the fuselage or anything when the sun is above the horizon...if possible.

Don’t forget these guys are just doing this for fun in their spare time. Its great what they’ve accomplished, but I’m sure the tire being a 1/2” too small isn’t big on their list of fixes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 1600, GTX770 @1080p

There is a reason they are called Scooters,They are SMALL! I worked on A-6's but helped out on Scooters a few time (especially at WTI's for any of you other old Jarheads :megalol:) I was told they weighted less than the fuel of an Intruder,no idea if it if that is true.

I knew some of there pilots and was told by more than one that the roll rate was so fast and the cockpit so small,you had to brace yourself or it would bounce your head off the canopy!

Quick research...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_A-4_Skyhawk#Specifications_(A-4F_Skyhawk)

A-4 empty weight:

Empty weight: 10,450 lb (4,750 kg)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_A-6_Intruder

A-6E

Fuel capacity: 2,385 US gal

What is Weight of JP-4 jet fuel per gallon?

Answer JP-4, the most commonly used Jet Fuel, weights 6.84 pounds per (US) gallon

Thus, 2385 gal * 6.84 lbs/gal = 16313.4 lbs > 10,450 lbs (A-4 weight)

Don’t forget these guys are just doing this for fun in their spare time. Its great what they’ve accomplished, but I’m sure the tire being a 1/2” too small isn’t big on their list of fixes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 1600, GTX770 @1080p

Guys, this is how people improve. Do not be afraid to lay out constructive criticism, no matter how important if you feel something isn't right you should always says so. In the long run it makes people's work easier - once you work on something for long enough you start having troubles seeing the bigger picture, eyes from outside help out a lot.

Criticism is good. Andrew's post is a perfect example.

Guys, this is how people improve. Do not be afraid to lay out constructive criticism, no matter how important if you feel something isn't right you should always says so. In the long run it makes people's work easier - once you work on something for long enough you start having troubles seeing the bigger picture, eyes from outside help out a lot.

All I can really say on this front is that the geometry is largely final, with some exceptions on small things. One small change creates a lot more work and can cause issues with the unwrap, which then breaks a lot of textures. I appreciate the insight and constructive criticism though, and we can take a look at what can be done for some of the smaller changes. I used to have a B model downtown for reference, but Smithsonian locked her away as they do renovations :cry:

Former A-4E-C 3D Artist

Logo Credit to Plusnine

As a developer myself, I can say that I like receiving feedback from the field where people uses my stuff. Getting that feedback sometimes save hours of QA and research.

The idea behind constructive criticism is to do it with taste for the product to evolve ...and not bash. Yeah Andrew's post is a very helpful one.

Edited by Frag

As a developer myself, I can say that I like receiving feedback from the field where people uses my stuff. Getting that feedback sometimes save hours of QA and research.

The idea behind constructive criticism is to it with taste for the product to evolve ...and not bash. Yeah Andrew's post is a very helpful one.

I’m all for receiving and giving feedback too, as long as it’s given in a constructive manner. Suggestions and demands are not the same. Being a community module, I view feedback as the crowdsourcing the research.

While I’m glad to get as much feedback as possible, I hope people can realise that as a non-full time dev, there’s only so much we can implement/change.

Merker is the only dev handling all the 3d work so please be gracious with what and when it gets done. We coders also need Merker to make 3d work when we are implementing new features so his plate is rather full.

That being said, I think the next update will be distracting enough....

Been flying the hell out of the Scooter (working on a video) and I have some observations on the Mk82s. Wondering if anyone else has noticed the same:

I've gotten very accurate with Mk81 LD, Mk81 HD, Mk83, Mk20, and Zunis, but the Mk82s don't want to play ball. They will not track straight if released higher than 4,000ft. Depression is spot on, but they consistently land 30-50mils right of my target. With Mk81s flying the exact same profile I get deadly accuracy. If I bring my Mk82 release altitude down to about 2,000ft or so, they seem to be okay laterally but then depression is way off. Are there any known issues with the Mk82 specifically?

It's very interesting you say that, as I've run into similar lateral accuracy problems with the Mk82, but I've just assumed I had a bad lineup because I've had drops that go exactly where i aim them for. Have you noticed this behavior with both slicks and snakeeyes or just one or the other? Which pylons were you using?

So far mainly with slicks. I haven't done SnakeEyes much recently, though last time they were fine laterally and only fell long. I thought I had line-up issues as well until I switched to Mk81s, and I can hit anything I want with those.

I'm dropping from all available pylons. Zero wind. Zero turbulence. QNH 30.02, target elevation 16ft MSL.

Edited by Nealius

Ha I'm retarded. Turns out I had some winds aloft (got the vector and speed entries reversed). Still, what's odd is that the winds shouldn't be present below 6600ft, and these winds only affect Mk82s and not any other bombs. Maybe a sim-wide issue then.

Edited by Nealius

Community A-4E-C Update: Version 1.3 Available Now

Community A-4E-C Version 1.3 Available Now

MdgqSMc.png

Hello everyone! Today we have a very big announcement for you all. Today we’re releasing the biggest content update to date, bringing with it much requested features and bug fixes. A new carrier mechanic, new RWR system, and enhanced Shrike systems are just a few of the big changes dropping in Version 1.3 of the A-4E-C.

We’d like to thank the incredible work of two newcomers who have are responsible for nearly all of these new feature; Heclak and Nero. Together, they’ve brought with them an immense amount of enthusiasm and coding skill to this project, resulting in the new content you’ll see in 1.3. The amount of work they put into this mod truly shows, and we hope you’ll enjoy that work as much as we do.

Top New Features:

- New carrier catapult mechanic

- New RWR System, complete with originally produced sounds

- Aircraft chocks now available, allowing carrier cold starts

- Enhanced Shrike Usage, with originally produced sounds

- Reworked Internal Lighting

- New Menu Music by Eric Haugen (Thanks!)

Top Bugfixes:

- New collision Mesh (Hitbox), aircraft no longer invincible

- Huffer now works on carriers

- Fixed TrackIR issues

Download v1.3 HERE: https://goo.gl/DXz7XF

Project Roadmap:

Going forward, there are a few features on the horizon that we look forward to development. Check out these sneak peaks at what comes next.

Visible Damage Modelling and Texturing - Fixing the collision mesh, which calculates damage taken from weapons, is just the first step in much bigger plans we have for damage modelling on the A-4E-C. Our current model does not yet have visible damage animations, something we’d greatly like to fix. Our focus will be turning to this very big feature as we head into summer.

Additional RWR Options - In real life, the A-4 was an incredibly modified aircraft, with no two squadrons operating identical aircraft in US service. Systems were mixed and match to fit the mission sets and preferences of each squadron. For our mod, we hope to introduce a greater degree of options when it comes to the RWR, whose functionality varied wildly based upon the systems used in it.

Integrity Check Issues – Multiplayer compatibility is a serious issue in the mod, and one of our most requested fixes. We’re working to resolve these fixes going forward, however we can make no promises due to the nature of the mod. The scope of our mod is much greater than others, with many points of failure with IC. We’ll continue our eternal struggle with it going into the next patch.

The features are expected to be release in a Late Summer 2019 Update. Stay tuned for more!

Full Changelog – Community A-4E-C Version 1.3

Contributors:

- Heclak

- Nero

- Merker

- Plusnine

- LevelPulse

- Storm (AIM-9P Fixes)

New Features:

- Chocks now hold aircraft in place, selectable via Ground Crew Interface. Carrier starts now possible.

- RwR now integrated. Including sounds.(AN/APR-23)

- A-4E can now be launched with the catapult. (see the A4E-Community Guide for details)

- Carriers can now have TACAN and ILS. (see the A4E-Community Guide for details)

- Reworked AWRS for more accurate system simulation

- Added joystick mapping axis for inst light and console light.

- Lights inside cockpit reworked. Now “Combat Red”

- Reworked CBUs release code for more accurate simulation

- New option to change trim speed in aircraft options menu

- New implementation of the AN/ALE-29A Chaff Dispensing System.

- New mission planner options for setting options for the AN/ALE-29A programmer

- New shrike search and lock system added. Behavior is similar to AIM-9 Sidewinders arming procedure.

- New volume control for shrike and sidewinder volume (placeholder model)

- Added carrier catapult launch sounds (cockpit-only)

- New menu music by Eric Haugen

- Completely new collision and damage model. Fixes previous damage issues.

- Wheelbrakes can now be bound to a (single) Axis.

- Improved ground handling

- Options/special/A-4E: several options have been added like "hide Stick" and "trimspeed"

Bug Fixes:

- Fully functional collision mesh

- Red floodlight switch no longer stuck.

- No CTD when spawning on carrier.

- Fixed canopy visibility in cockpit when open.

- CBU visibility has been fixed.

- Huffer now works on carriers.

- Standby compass bug fixed. UV mapping of backlight rotated 180 degrees.

- Fixed RAT animation when deployed

- Fixed CBU bomblet visual placement in SUU-7 dispenser

- Fixed issue where turning a knob with the scroll wheel will cause it to jump back to the beginning when it reaches the end.

- Tweaked weight of SUU-7 dispenser

- Fixed anti-collision light switch on exterior lighting panel

- Fixed TrackIR issues

Other Changes:

- Console and Instrument Backlighting now controlled by appropriate knobs.

- AWRS now selects appropriate ripple quantities.

- Increased Pilot Size to reflect reference imagery.

- Updated keybinding. Countermeasures release is now known as the JATO firing button. Function is the same.

Weapon Systems:

- SALVO mode will now correctly only dispense one weapon from each readied station per weapon release pulse from AWRSAWRS QTY SEL will now correctly limit the number of times the weapons are released in the RIPPLE modes.

- AWE-1(AWRS) now powered from the monitor dc bus. Master arm switch no longer turns off the AWE-1

- Weapons will no longer be released from centerline station when in STEP PAIRS or RIPPLE PAIRS

- Station of equal priority are now required for weapon release in PAIRS modes.

- CBU bomblets are now released in tubes (CBU-1/A, CBU-2/A, CBU-2/B)

- Added kneeboard page for CBU config to change the number of tubes of bomblets released per weapon pulse. (CBU-2/A, CBU-2B/A)

- Added options to set CBU config from the mission planner/editor

- Tweaked start condition of weapon system when spawning hot

Important:

You need to rebind your "Throttle Axis" and "Rudder Axis".

Read the A4E-Community Guide by heclak to avoid issues with the new carrier mechanics.

As always, happy flying from the Community A-4E-C Dev Team!

Former A-4E-C 3D Artist

Logo Credit to Plusnine

Great news, guys! Thank you so much for your work! It's just great! :thumbup:

Downloading now! :D

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

I’ve updated my guide with some stuff for v1.3 especially the new carrier catapult procedures and weapon updates. Look for the 1.3 tag on the left side of the pages. I’ll be updating my guide in the days to come.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cUH7jpAoGHm-IzUDnv_NDhiZlvX55Q9WvpgR1d9ksYY/edit?usp=sharing