Air-to-Air Gun reticle erratic

Cab

Is anyone else experiencing erratic behavior of the A2A gun reticle in multiplayer or is it just me? The reticle is smooth and accurate in single player on my machine but in MP it jumps around so much that it is practically useless. (At least for me)

I searched to see if this was already a discussion point and did not find anything, but I wanted to see if I was the only one having this issue before I submitted a bug report.

Let me start by saying Welcome to the forums Cab!

Unfortunately this is something server side and won't be easily fixed by ED since all online servers are owned individually. You have to account for the server lag, your ping, your opponents ping, and all of the calculations needed to get an accurate firing solution, etc. ED are working on dedicated servers though and hopefully we will get some updated net code to alleviate these issues with them.

Yes, I have this as well. I do believe it is because of server lag.

Makes me wonder though, if the other (admittedly lower fidelity) modules don’t have this problem (F15), maybe there is a fix that can be implemented... I don’t think dedicated server will do much for lag issues.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Hmm, so that looks like all calculations are server side. Not good for serious gaming. FPS games gave up on that long ago. They all have client side calculations now.

Harder to stop cheaters, of course, but server side calculations just do not work. The latency is just too much, and it ruins the game. Sounds to me what is happening here.

We're going to need better computers and Faster Than Light data cables before Server Side calculations can be realistically implemented.

Hmm, so that looks like all calculations are server side. Not good for serious gaming. FPS games gave up on that long ago. They all have client side calculations now.

Harder to stop cheaters, of course, but server side calculations just do not work. The latency is just too much, and it ruins the game. Sounds to me what is happening here.

We're going to need better computers and Faster Than Light data cables before Server Side calculations can be realistically implemented.

relax, dedicated server is internally being tested as we speak :thumbup:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I'm not sure it's true that all calculations are server side - Wags has previously explained the proximity fuzing as being calculated on the client-side based on the launcher's perspective (which explains why sometimes it looks like it doesn't work when you see missiles launched at you flying 1ft past your cockpit - in reality it missed by 100ft or so on the launcher's client). There's probably another explanation for the jerkiness - perhaps there's not as many updates on their position in MP as in SP. I find the reticle normally stabilises once you're within 1000ft or so and it's still plenty usable.

1. A dedicated server will not fix your/their internet ping.

2. I don't see why the server needs to calculate the pipe position, it is just a reference.

The problem is that the gun pipper location is predictive, this means that any lag magnifies the pipper movement, to the point that it can be useless. There is some network prediction that helps "smooth" out the jitter, but there's only so much that can be done. Increasing the server tick rate would help, but I am fairly certain significant optimization would be required. It'd be so sweet to have a 60 hz tick rate, though, like on competitive FPS games.

To my knowledge, this is not modeled in DCS... i'd love to be proven wrong.
I'm not certain, but I think I've seen it in the latest beta chasing an AI MIG-29 that was popping chaff. I didn't realize at the time that it was popping chaff so that's why I'm not certain. I only found out later looking at the Tacview file.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk