CPU/GPU usage and performance...

Donut

Hey everyone. In regards to the performance issues some of us have been seeing, I may have found something that helps.

When I leave my FPS unlimited, I am frequently seeing CPU and GPU usage both hit 100% with average CPU usage 70-80% and GPU usage 80-90%. This is when I see performance issues, stutters and of course TrackIR isn't as smooth either.

When I limit my FPS to 60, my average CPU and GPU usage is literally cut in half and never spikes anywhere near 100%. With this, I have noticed much better performance, less stutters, and TrackIR is more fluid as well. This is also great for reducing PC temperatures and wear and tear on hardware.

It may be that in our quest to get as high as FPS as possible, we are actually reducing performance. This is at least what I have found with my system and settings.

So, for some of you who are having performance issues, try limiting your FPS to see if that helps.

Screen_181121_141234.thumb.png.f0e9ada8af5829fe4e4df72f9568c7d2.png

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Hey everyone. In regards to the performance issues some of us have been seeing, I may have found something that helps.

When I leave my FPS unlimited, I am frequently seeing CPU and GPU usage both hit 100% with average CPU usage 70-80% and GPU usage 80-90%. This is when I see performance issues, stutters and of course TrackIR isn't as smooth either.

When I limit my FPS to 60, my average CPU and GPU usage is literally cut in half and never spikes anywhere near 100%. With this, I have noticed much better performance, less stutters, and TrackIR is more fluid as well. This is also great for reducing PC temperatures and wear and tear on hardware.

It may be that in our quest to get as high as FPS as possible, we are actually reducing performance. This is at least what I have found with my system and settings.

So, for some of you are having performance issues, trying liming your FPS to see if that helps.

Helpful advice . I limit frames to vsync , and experience all the benefits you describe .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Stupid question but where can you set a FPS limit?

I have a GSYNC monitor and don’t need VSYNC. Also, if I used VSYNC, it would limit my FPS to my monitor refresh rate which is 144Hz so that wouldn’t work.

VSYNC would work for 60Hz non GSYNC monitors.

I have an EVGA GPU and use the Precision X utility frame rate limiter. I set it at 61 FPS because for some reason, that is what is needed to get 60 FPS to dispaly in DCS.

You have to know that TrackIr is only smooth at 60 or 120 fps because the camera is at 120hz.

On my 144hz Gsync monitor I have to set it at 120hz in windows (nvidia control panel).

The problem of trackir stutter at frequencies different from 60 and 120 is the same on all games (assetto corsa for example). The guys who tell that TIR is smooth at 144hz on their rig are false.

Then DCS:

Like said in the 1st post, you have to limit DCS at 60 fps (120 would be great but with a I7 8700k + 32GB Ram + 1080Ti i can't sustain 120fps everywhere on caucasus and PG).

90 fps would be great too but with a lot of stutter due to trackir in cockpit view (external views are smooth at 90fps except if you use TIR in external views...)

To limit DCS at 60fps:

Vsync On if monitor set at 60hz

Or

Nvidia inspector_ frame rate limiter: 60fps

Or

Graphic.lua (dcs/config): .... .... ... set_max_fps at 60 (180 initially!)

Or

Set 1/2 Vsync On (1/2 monitor frequency) if monitor at 120 Hz.

Hope it will help some guys

So, for some of you who are having performance issues, try limiting your FPS to see if that helps.

I approach in VR, that is tune settings to limit the average GPU use to around 70~80% and CPU average use to around 80~90% in a quest to maintain 45 FPS. (90FPS in game went out the window with 2.5 currently) With settings adjusted for the above average usage there is headroom in the processing capabilities of my system for when in game events occur and I hardly ever seem to get frame drops (map dependent)

I find when GPU usage hits 100% you get frames dropped or AKA stutters every time as well artefact levels increase. Now the problem is the maps (and modules to an extent) utilise different amounts of GPU/CPU usage.

General experience keeping settings the same Rift VR casual flying (although I don't think I actually fly casually :P) free flight.

The NTTR map is currently the most efficient map in terms of required GPU and CPU usage and in VR it shows as buttery smooth 45FPS with hardly any ASW artefacting usually only in downtown Las Vegas.

Caucasus map utilises more GPU/CPU and I do get the occasional stutter and somewhat more ASW artefacts.

It's almost a tie for Normandy and PG maps but the GPU sits around 90 something % and hits 100% often and I get frequent stuttering (drop frames) of course in most cases dropping MSAA from 4 to 2 or more likely 0 will improve performance at the expense of visual quality.

I just find if I push the system to try and maintain high CPU/GPU usage cus the numbers look good right, I get more drop frames and poorer visual quality than if I bring setting back to allow some processing headroom.

System 5930 i7 @4.7GHZ 64GB DDR4 @2.4Ghz (55MB/s) 1080Ti @1.9Ghz

Typical NTTR

15~18% CPU usage 70 to 80% GPU usage most settings on high or max PD 1.2 MSAA 4

YMMV :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I think I want the opposite, I want DCS can fully utilizes my GPU and CPU capability. Right now even on populated server or rather heavy mission I rarely see it hit 99% usage while at the same time my FPS stuck at average 60 (no vsync). I'm almost at max setting in DCS and I want to make use the mirrors in cockpit without FPS drops and oddly see it only uses 80% of GPU.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

I have a GSYNC monitor and don’t need VSYNC. Also, if I used VSYNC, it would limit my FPS to my monitor refresh rate which is 144Hz so that wouldn’t work.

VSYNC would work for 60Hz non GSYNC monitors.

I have an EVGA GPU and use the Precision X utility frame rate limiter. I set it at 61 FPS because for some reason, that is what is needed to get 60 FPS to dispaly in DCS.

you cant set a refresh of 60hz on a 144hz gsync monitor in nvidia cp right next to resolution settings???

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

I think I want the opposite, I want DCS can fully utilizes my GPU and CPU capability. Right now even on populated server or rather heavy mission I rarely see it hit 99% usage while at the same time my FPS stuck at average 60 (no vsync). I'm almost at max setting in DCS and I want to make use the mirrors in cockpit without FPS drops and oddly see it only uses 80% of GPU.

welp.. not sure i understand that logic.. 99% means you really have no headroom left for whatever the game might throw at the GPU... i would prefer 480fps, maxed out settings, and 14% GPU utilization..... @45c... might have to wait for some optimizations though.. Lol.... :)

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

you cant set a refresh of 60hz on a 144hz gsync monitor in nvidia cp right next to resolution settings???

I can but I have read in multiple places that it is best to leave the monitor refresh rate at 144Hz. Maybe someone with more knowledge and expertise can tell us why.

welp.. not sure i understand that logic.. 99% means you really have no headroom left for whatever the game might throw at the GPU... i would prefer 480fps, maxed out settings, and 14% GPU utilization..... @45c... might have to wait for some optimizations though.. Lol.... :)

Exactly. That lack of headroom when maxed at 100% usage is what may be reducing performance and leading to stutters. I could of course lower my DCS settings but I would rather max out the visual quality. 60 FPS seems fluid to my eyes and also works best with the TrackIR refresh rate.

I can but I have read in multiple places that it is best to leave the monitor refresh rate at 144Hz. Maybe someone with more knowledge and expertise can tell us why.

Exactly. That lack of headroom when maxed at 100% usage is what may be reducing performance and leading to stutters. I could of course lower my DCS settings but I would rather max out the visual quality. 60 FPS seems fluid to my eyes and also works best with the TrackIR refresh rate.

totally agree... was tryin to tell people this a while ago... but a lot of folks seem to demand that they need 99% GPU for some odd reason... Rather have 100% solid FPS at 50% GPU utilization running cool and comfy than havin 50% variable FPS at 100% GPU runnin at 90c... hahaha.. Just set your refresh to 60hz in nvcp and turn on vsync in game... solid 60 fps with everything pretty much maxed out..

Whatever Hz value you desire, please set it in Riva Tuner Statistics Server RTSS which comes alone, or as most have it --> it installs along with MSI AFterburner GPU-Tool.

A must have !!!

Capping frames in RTSS has the LEAST impact in latency, google it to know what I mean.

see pic...

Unbenannt.PNG.69bf3d2481251f92ddd99d9e26411a49.PNG

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 4 weeks later...

DCS 2.5.4.25729 update

Without any mods

My rig:

CPU i5-k2500 running 4.0Ghz

MSI 1070 GTX with 8 GDDR5 RAM

RAM Corsair 16GB RAM 2133Hz

SDD disk (WIN7 and DCS on same disk)

Sitting in F/A-18C in fast mission Engines running on Nellis AFB. Watching CPU and GPU usage via MSI Afterburner.

Looking forward into cockpit a get max 50 FPS

CPU-45%, RAM-12GB, GPU-55%

When i look left on Nellis ramp with some F-15 parked in direction of race circuit stadium, my FPS dropped to 30 FPS with generally same CPU, RAM, GPU usage. I also watched the GPU core frequency and voltage - yes running on max possible.

This is very very very very weird. It certainly need focus of ED developers. Together with huge stuttering without Vsync ON (even worse with high-end Graphic cards) these are major problems with DCS now, denying good FPS enjoyment of this sim, even when some good amount of money invested into PC.

I approach in VR, that is tune settings to limit the average GPU use to around 70~80% and CPU average use to around 80~90% in a quest to maintain 45 FPS. (90FPS in game went out the window with 2.5 currently) With settings adjusted for the above average usage there is headroom in the processing capabilities of my system for when in game events occur and I hardly ever seem to get frame drops (map dependent)

I find when GPU usage hits 100% you get frames dropped or AKA stutters every time as well artefact levels increase. Now the problem is the maps (and modules to an extent) utilise different amounts of GPU/CPU usage.

General experience keeping settings the same Rift VR casual flying (although I don't think I actually fly casually :P) free flight.

The NTTR map is currently the most efficient map in terms of required GPU and CPU usage and in VR it shows as buttery smooth 45FPS with hardly any ASW artefacting usually only in downtown Las Vegas.

Caucasus map utilises more GPU/CPU and I do get the occasional stutter and somewhat more ASW artefacts.

It's almost a tie for Normandy and PG maps but the GPU sits around 90 something % and hits 100% often and I get frequent stuttering (drop frames) of course in most cases dropping MSAA from 4 to 2 or more likely 0 will improve performance at the expense of visual quality.

I just find if I push the system to try and maintain high CPU/GPU usage cus the numbers look good right, I get more drop frames and poorer visual quality than if I bring setting back to allow some processing headroom.

System 5930 i7 @4.7GHZ 64GB DDR4 @2.4Ghz (55MB/s) 1080Ti @1.9Ghz

Typical NTTR

15~18% CPU usage 70 to 80% GPU usage most settings on high or max PD 1.2 MSAA 4

YMMV :thumbup:

Hi Fragbum,

That sounds great

Can you please share a screen shot of your settings page, as I have a similar rig to yours with a rift and think that would be a great starting point.

Cheers

Here you go Current settings

Still getting a feel for 2.5.4 however I think the basic idea still works.

Don't get me wrong I am happy for all of my cores to go full tilt when rendering stuff it's not a time sensitive process it starts it renders it completes. :thumbup:

DCS like any time sensitive process needs to do and in this case do a "variable" amount of work with very definite time constraints, in less time than a frame plus overheads so 45FPS means each frame period is 22ms, 90FPS is 11ms. There a a few fall back scenarios like ASW etc.

YMMV

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I'm noticing more CPU usage under 2.5.4 anyone else??

I updated and noticed this I haven't been able to identify the process but it interesting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=200215&stc=1&d=1545352234

I'm noticing more CPU usage under 2.5.4 anyone else??

I updated and noticed this I haven't been able to identify the process but it interesting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=200215&stc=1&d=1545352234

just checked... i have the same utilization as previously at about 8%..

I have similar to previous version CPU utilization this morning never did find out what the process was other than consuming clock cycles. Does DCS have a stand alone render process??

I`m definitely seeing more usage across the cores (i7 4790K), up at 50% at one stage and regularly in the 40%+. Smoother in VR no doubt, but still stuck ~30fps in the very crowed Nellis base at the start of the aggressor missions, with the GPU (2080) still choking at ~30% usage. But definitely an improvement in less crowded scenarios. Looks good, if ED can fully exploit the hardware we have it would really be a big step for the VR experience.