How do I use ICLS?

dave76

well, i apologize...i know iCls stands for carrier, in fact with the carrier i have no problems.....i did not see ils bars when landing on an airfield.

so the C in the title was nothing more than an unwanted mistake...but i still did not see loc and glide for "normal landings"

Edited by dave76

well, i apologize...i know iCls stands for carrier, in fact with the carrier i have no problems.....i did not see ils bars when landing on an airfield.

so the C in the title was nothing more than an unwanted mistake...but i still did not see loc and glide for "normal landings"

ICLS uses higher radio frequencies and a narrower beam width than "normal" ILS.

The AN/SPN-41A Instrument Carrier Landing System is a pulse coded scanning beam (PCSB) emitter that transmits elevation and azimuth guidance signals to appropriately equipped Navy and Marine Corps aircraft.

The AN/SPN-41A radiates two coded microwave beams into the approach volume behind the ship.

The signal coverage from each beam is approximately 20-degrees to either side of centerline and 0 to 10-degrees above the horizon for a range of 50 miles

It is not compatible with ILS as found at Batumi, Kobuleti, etc. so you won't get localiser or glide slope indications.

In your first post you say

....don't see any loc and glide on hud............freq is correct

AFAIK the Hornet's AN/ARA-63 (ICLS) Channel 1 isn't adjustable in DCS but if it was, it couldn't be set to to cover a civilian ILS frequency if modelled realistically.

Hence why you'd use a non-precision TACAN approach in DCS and in RL (unless the airfield was equipped with a AN/TPN-22 radar or similar).

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080