[REPORTED]Retarded Bombs AI Attack Altitude

• 1 year later...
  • ED Team

Hi MBot, I have reported this for improvement.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 6 months later...

Fixed:

• AI not using high drag MK 82 Snakeye below 1000ft - fixed.

PS: When I saw this fix in the patch notes I thought "This sounds like it was reported by MBot", so I followed the link to this thread and wasn't disappointed :D

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well, a quick test with an AI F-5E and Snakeye shows this issue is still not properly addressed. With waypoints set at 100 ft AGL and given any of the regular air-ground attack tasks, the AI will still climb to 1000 ft to drop Snakeyes.

I had success to enforce a bomb drop at 100 ft by using the "Altitude Above" setting in the attack task and setting this to 100 ft. This only works against a sea level target though. Against a target at higher ground elevation, the AI will refuse to attack altogether with this method.

It seems this issue needs more work and should then be properly tested.

• ED Team

Hi Mbot

For now it is possible to set the attack run below a 1000, we merged the work that has already been done as it does improve on the old results, but yes we do have more work coming for this.

It has taken a lot of work to get the AI to perform these attack runs at low level and to remain on the deck for re attacks without hitting terrain in the process. I am currently reviewing new additions to this so hopefully you will see them soon.

Please add your track showing the behaviour, note if they have a CAS tasking in the advanced waypoint actions they will climb.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Attached are two tracks, one with a sea level target and one with a target at 1'500 ft elevation. Two aircraft with a bombing task and Snakeye bombs. The left aircraft has no "Altitude Above" set in the attack task, the right aircraft has "Altitude Above" set to 100ft.

Sea level target:

-Left aircraft climbs to default 1'000 ft above target to attack (issue)

-Right aircraft attacks target at reasonable low altitude (ok)*

1'500 ft elevation target:

-Left aircraft climbs to default 1'000 ft above target to attack (issue)

-Right aircraft does not attack and directly proceeds to next waypoint (issue)

*Previously the "Altitude Above" setting had the effect to impose a minimum AGL attack altitude to AI. It had no further effect if the aircraft was already at or above the set Altitude Above. I don't know if this setting is intended to have a new meaning now (have more far reaching control on attack altitude). If so it should perhaps be considered to rename it.

Snakeye_MSL.trk

Snakeye_1500ft.trk

• Like 1