Which of these aircraft would you most likely buy?

InTrustWeThrust

Which of these aircraft would you most likely buy?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these aircraft would you most likely buy?

• Mirage-F1
    • A-6
    • F-104
    • Tornado IDS or ADV
    • English Electric Lightning
    • MiG-23 or MiG-25
    • SAAB JAS-39 Gripen
    • SAAB JA-37 Fighter-Viggen
    • SAAB J-35 Draken
    • A helicopter (Sh-60, Nh-90, Sa 330 Puma, Bo-105, OH-58 Kiowa…)

F-111....Vietnam to 2010. Immense bomb load, tandem seating, supersonic on the deck, swing wing, and talk about history. Brits, Aussies, and Americans flew it. Deep strike, tactical strike, and anti-shipping.

We didn't fly the 111. :) It was considered and even ordered for the Royal Navy but then cancelled due to ongoing technical delays and cost over runs but otherwise the British never got their hands on the Vark. For me its the venerable Tonka GR1 all the way!

The A-6A!! Vietnam! Read the book, "Flight of the Intruder" [Do not watch the crappy Hollywood movie of the same name with Willem Dafoe. The book is far, far superior.] The Intruder will need a "Jester" or a 2nd Player to operate the DIANE (radar/attack/nav computer system). 450kts, down on the deck! It is not a slow plane as it may appear, but it is subsonic. Big bomb load.

It is because of that crappy movie that me and many others have become interested in the A-6. You should be happy that a movie of the A-6 was even made before it was retired. And now I would love to see the Intruder come to DCS some day as it would be one of the best multicrew attack aircraft that is carrier ops capable.

P.S. Now i might consider reading the book. :smilewink:

How can Grippen NOT be #1 choice ?

Viggen is already a module. How old is this poll?

How can Grippen C variant NOT be #1 choice of DCS community? Even without NG variant, it is Gen 4+ fighter bomber, with well established AIR-AIR capability, and in service with multiple Air Forces.

Mirage F1 with PFM or EFM equivalent flight model, Advanced Systems Modeling. Cornucopia of air-air , AG, and anti-surface weapons.

I already know the answer, but I'll say it again. DCS needs DCS: Level (PFM, ASM, etc..) module of 4th Gen Russian or Chinese type. IMHO level up Mig-29S or better yet, an export version of 1990's-early 2000 MIG-29 SMT. DCS community already has good variety of Western type Gen 4 strike platforms.

If Gen 4 MiG is not to be had, then late block F-16C/D Block50/52. I hope the ED tease alludes to Viper in dev.

JF-17 Thunder export version.

No more new training aircraft modules.

For rotary. AH-64A/D, AH-1W, MIL-24 Hind as late a variant as practical.

3rd party development of battlefield vehicles, weapons, and additional stores.;

Towed field artillery M198, M777, M118, D30

Truck chassis mounted artillery Zetros 2733

IRIS-T missile.

Crotale Air Defense

Durandal anti-runway bomb

Ground infantry units that are not individuals. Infantry squad, platoon, company, SF A-Team, SEAL Team detachment, SAS squad.

AI large cruise missiles with preplanned route via Mission Editor.

Voice messaging, from AI radio, in English but with local accent.

A proper modern FARP with padding, markers, blivets, and ammunition.

Viggen is already a module. How old is this poll?

How can Grippen C variant NOT be #1 choice of DCS community? Even without NG variant, it is Gen 4+ fighter bomber, with well established AIR-AIR capability, and in service with multiple Air Forces.

Different type of Viggen.

And the Gripen (note the single P) isn't on top of lists, because it's not going to happen any time soon.

Totally.

A-7E Naval variant.

or

A-7D USAF ANG variant. I recall as Army ROTC cadet, in field exercises and training, ANG A-7D were training at same time. While we had no contact with them, having low flying tactical aircraft certainly increased feel of ambient realism for 19 and 20 year old ROTC cadets. Puerto Rico ANG A-7D unit was one of few, if not only combat coded A-7D squadrons for U.S. Southern Command. Now they are flying C-130 and drones.

Having an accurate PFM fidelity flight model for A-7E/D has benefit of making a decent consumer level DSC: F-117A a real possibility. A-7D was described as having flight characteristics and limits nearly same as F-117A. A-7D was used as pilot trainer and concurrency for F-117 program. F-117A landing gear was from F-15C, avionics and equipment from F/A-18C. HOTAS in F-117 was from Hornet. Nighthawk had no radar, and I don't think it even had GPS embedded INS. I am not certain exactly how F-117 navigated. Possibly by astro-tracking and inertial, as in SR-71 and U-2, TR-1, and passive receive only TACAN with standard ILS. Unless F-117 had reflectors installed, it could not use Precision Terminal Approach Radar.