JHMCS - How to change its onscreen position ?

Leysard

I use Track-IR and I find that the center of the JHMCS is about 5° below the center point I'm looking at.

Is-it possible to change it's onscreen position ?

Win 10 | i7 8700 Coffee Lake OC @ 4.9Ghz | 32Go Ram | 1080Ti | DCS on SSD | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Rudder | TrackIr 5 Pro

Every user can adjust defulat view for his needs. Default view in DCS is configured for a wide range of users and can be not good for some.

But the default view should place the JHMCS at least within the HUD area,otherwise the JHMCS will display at default view!that shouldn't happen at default view,right?....

Cofcorpse,

If it's tilted down a several degrees, is they a way, in a lua file to tilt it back up of that few degrees ?

Win 10 | i7 8700 Coffee Lake OC @ 4.9Ghz | 32Go Ram | 1080Ti | DCS on SSD | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Rudder | TrackIr 5 Pro

But the default view should place the JHMCS at least within the HUD area

as convenient as the hud is there is a reason why the instrument panel exists

the notion that the hud should somehow be the center of focus is your own contrivance

@OP here's a guide to setting up default view

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=224832

Edited by probad

I have the same problem and the solutions provided so far are not really satisfying. They are rather workarounds, but all of them come at a price.

I have deleted all my default views and ran a dcs repair. I would expect at least the default view configuration to be in a correct position. But it definetly is not. It feels like I have to point my chin on enemy airplanes in order to target them.

All threads about this topic state either that it is correct as it is, or that it is a user problem.

I am also pretty sure that there is a possibility of boresighting and calibrating the JHMCS in the real plane.

What I am interested about: Is the current implementation really designed as intended or is a KA50 like vertical adjustment planned for the Hornet?

By the way: Comments about the importance of the HUD do not help at all. It is not about which instrument is more important. But if you do have to adjust your view, you wont be able to see big parts of your instruments or wont be able to look out of your cockpit in the default setup. So please if you do want to contribute something, let it be something usefull.

if you look 5 degrees down before synching your tir (in other words matching your head position with the in-game head position) you'll find the hmd display ends up at eye level.

it's important to understand that you should be looking at your instrument panel as that's the way your initial view is set up

Edited by probad

Well people asked for the VR option, so would it be too much to ask for a offset view for the HMD for us second rank TrackIR users?

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

I too would like an option to adjust JHMCS offset. Doesnt feel comfortable for me at most angles. I also wish it was more zoomed in by default (aka bigger circle) I seem to have to zoom in to really read any of the tapes yet doing that im then too close to everything else in the cockpit.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm still hoping for some type of adjustment/alignment option.

My issue is in VR and is due to the headset resting on my face slightly tilted up (apparently) such that when I look straight forward at the horizon the JHMCS appears 10 degrees too high.

I can fiddle with the position on the headset to correct this, but it doesn't sit well and I lose the "sweet spot".

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

I am facing the same problem as I am runing DCS on a 22" with Helios captZeen for the instrumentation plus video projection on top of the 22"
So as a nominal position my HUD is just at the bottom of the projection sreen and as by default the HMD alignement is done at center screen I am facing the same problem reported by other, the HMD pointing several degrees above where I am looking and this has nothing to do with the HMD alignement procedure...

I will post some screen to illustrate the problem.

So nothing new about this problem ?

Still nowat to change the HMD position in a lua file ?

Thanks

So here is the picture that shows the problem.

I am looking right at the HUD in this projected view just above the 22" with the deported instrumentation.
As one can see the HMD is projected significatively above where I am looking.
As you can imagine, in such condition the HDM is mostly useless
And as other said this is not a problem of HMD alignement as it his perfectly aligned...

We need a least a way to offset the HMD view via a lua script file.

Thanks

image.png

Edited by CougarFFW04

I have no interest in editing a lua script. I want a simple procedure to adjust the height of the hmd relative to the hud. If I am using the HUD to shoot a missile it is all fine, but if I need to look off to the side of the hud, (the entire reason the HMD exists) the HMD appears significantly lower than the HUD. As someone said, I have to point at the enemy plane w/ my chin. And this theory that I should look down at the instruments when setting TIR is crazy. I don't fly looking at the instruments. One more point; all other aiming systems work just fine the way I set up TIR. Reticles for guns, rockets, AIM9, AIM120, bombs work just fine. ONLY HMD is screwed up so I am not going to adjust so one of 5-6 systems will work.

+1000. I have the same issue in the F18 and the Apache.

The problem is that HMD senses up/down tilt with its inbuilt accelerometers. DCS then takes that value as gospel, and places the HMD in the center of the view. Unfortunately due to different face shapes, the HMD may be tilted up or down slightly on your face, placing your personal center of view slightly above or below the absolute center of view. Thus the JHMCS/IHDDS displays slightly high/low.

i.e if the HMD sits on your face tilted up 2 degrees from the "perfect" horizontal. the JHMCS/IHDDS will appear 2 degrees high in your vision.

Re-centering while looking down/up doesn't fix the problem as accellerometers sense you are looking up/down.

I personally wedge a small cloth between the top of my HMD's face cushion and my face as I have long given up on ED even acknowledging this problem let alone fixing it.

• Like 1