My YouTube Channel

G B

Everybody,

For those that are aware of my YouTube channel, you may have noticed that it no longer exists. I have come here to tell you why.

My videos contained POV footage of flight ops in the Hornet. Everything from preflight and startup to landing and shutdown were covered (both on land and on the ship). My channel was generally enjoyed by viewers, and once JAR had posted a video where he interviewed me, my channel went viral. I was gaining around 2000 subscribers per week. I was passionate about it. I was very excited to share my videos and answer questions in the comments. I was sad to take it down just prior to reaching 10,000 subscribers.

There were a handful of individuals who posted comments on various videos of mine that claimed my videos were security violations, opsec violations, and out right revealed classified material. That could not be further from the truth. Regardless, some of these individuals went as far as to say that they would be contacting the authorities. Needless to say, although I had nothing to hide this was not a battle I was interested in fighting.

GoPro videos such as the ones I posted are recorded with prior permission. Additionally, they are reviewed to ensure they did not capture anything they aren’t supposed to. I have no interest in going to jail nor do I have interest in giving up American secrets by revealing capabilities that I shouldn’t. Everybody needs to realize that people don’t go recklessly posting things that are classified. Those without a security clearance (or even those that do but aren’t in Naval Aviation) simply don’t know what is classified/sensitive and what isn’t. It may seem to you that aircraft carrier flight ops fall into that category, but they don’t. It is not for you to decide either.

I have spent my career flying Hornets, Super Hornets, and the F-35C. I understand security and classification. YouTube commenters do not. I should also add that other Hornet drivers that post GoPro videos to their channel abide by the same restrictions I did. We simply do not post anything sensitive.

This is not meant to be an attack on all of you. Virtually everybody here has been a GREAT supporter and I enjoyed answering your questions on my channel. However, there may be a few of you that think you know more about this topic than the actual pilots. I’m here to tell that tiny minority that you don’t. I’d also ask that if you see somebody posting something like that, that you don’t reinforce their comments.

Bottom line: real pilots are not uploading things they aren’t supposed to. To that very tiny minority, please don’t raise the suspicion flag on them if you think otherwise. You simply don’t know.

Thank you.

Edited by G B

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry to read this Gregory! I was thrilled to find your channel. I am glad I watched your videos when I could.

Most people here are really proud of guys like yourself, your service means a lot to all of us (ass clowns aside), even if we are not from the same country, we share the same values.

If you ever want to come flying in DCS with us there are some really good groups here that would nothing but welcome you and your expertise. If not please know that 99.9% of us would love to pick your brain at least on the forums and would very much welcome your thoughts. Though with the behaviour we have seen in some recent threads (and now on your channel) I wouldn't be surprised if you ran a mile. Such a shame.

Thank you any way.

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

Man that’s a bummer. I think those videos were a bit more “intimate” view of carrier aviation then most people were used to seeing. Easy to see why internet white knights would jump to un-informed conclusions. Thank you for your service brother.

Edited by smnwrx

Oh look another individual having to make a decision to back away from the community because of a vocal minority, who think they know better... awesome.

Well let me just say Gregory, your videos and input are very appreciated. The same goes to all other pilots, aircrew, ground crew and any others who provide genuine information for us to enjoy and learn from. Cheers for your service and for making an effort to let others have a slight insight into your world.

Ugh that SUCKS!!! I'm really sorry to hear that, Greg. I've nerded out to every single one of your videos that you posted, and enjoyed your interview with Jar. Some people are just so filled with jealousy/self-hatred that they will do anything to bring others down to their level. That is the nature of being miserable. You are right, though. An overwhelming majority of people, including passionate amateur pilots/aviation enthusiasts like myself, really enjoy your content. You did your due diligence, and posting it was greatly appreciated. Please, oh please, don't let this drive you away from this (and the YouTube) community! Hopefully, you'll be able to do another video with Jar and enlighten us with some more Hornet nerdery!!! :)

Seems like these keyboard commandos would do well to stop by a recruiting office and put in the time that you have Greg so they better understand things a bit more..

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

• ED Team

I am really saddened to hear you had this experience with the community. I think most of us enjoyed and appreciated your effort. I understand your reasoning though, and I hope this makes people think a little more before posting nonsense, thanks for posting this.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Damn. i was about to make my own hornet in my yard by watching your videos then attacking to U.S.A

beside a joke, that's very sad and made me angry.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

After what it must have taken to fly in the air force, then put in the time to actually fly and protect people out of a sense of duty, then be willing to try and help out and share with us flight sim geeks to make our day a little better, you have to deal with a bunch of pissy boy trolls.

I am sorry you had to give into these morons, but understand why you took your decision.

I really hope we are not loosing you as a member of the DCS community as a whole. That would be tragic.

Sad to hear this. But if you are sure that nothing was violated, every video was approved. What are you afraid of? The rest of the community would support you.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

If you know the videos are fine then why take your channel down? It’s a sad fact that if you do anything worthwhile on the internet you’ll attract a vocal minority of idiots who will say and threaten a whole bunch of nonsense. Most of them are 12 year old boys with nothing better to do with their time, the action is simple, block and move on.

Shame to hear you’ve given into them :/

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Everybody,

For those that are aware of my YouTube channel, you may have noticed that it no longer exists. I have come here to tell you why...

I'm sorry to hear about that and am extremely saddened by the fact, and I truly appreciate that you took your time to explain why you closed your channel instead of leaving us in the dark speculating why you might have done that.

Your channel was one of the best, if not the best, pilot channels out there right up with C.W. (Mover); AEW and Lex when they used to make videos.

Thank you for sharing your experience and giving us that exclusive view on Hornet ops with your videos!

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

I am really saddened to hear you had this experience with the community. I think most of us enjoyed and appreciated your effort. I understand your reasoning though, and I hope this makes people think a little more before posting nonsense, thanks for posting this.

Yea, youtube comments are a wretched hive of scum and villainy... most of the time they devolve into just random racism. Shame all the attention brought on the trolls.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

damn man :( But completely understand your action.

Not fair but in these days with auto screening of content in general, we as humans have no chance to get heard if we are accused of an act.

So to all if you are not aware of this....if you contact the platform and report something amiss, then there is a IMO a 70% chance that it is a automated system looking at your report. The automated system is looking for fraises and have no clue about context, And now the content creator is in hot water.

Please contact the creator directly and if that doesn't help then the content platform.

Also be aware that content platforms might be, in the near future, held legally liable for a users content.

Overall I think this is a good idea as the internet is the wild west, problem is that it is a huge task and many innocent creator's will be caught by a hastily implemented auto system.

People will be people and as some others in this post wrote "just ignore them" well you can't because humans are taking out of the decision process.

In this case we all lost a good youtube channel.

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greg, very sorry to hear youve been hectored off YouTube. Dont give in to these geek numpty's, most of them wouldnt know the soggy end of a cigar and would wet themselves if they tried to bully you face to face. I really enjoyed your informative and highly interesting vids. From one vet to another good luck mate and thanks.

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Would disabling the comments section be a reasonable solution? Of course I respect whatever you decide, but still sad to see the trolls win. Really enjoyed your content, buddy!

Good idea. We can always discuss the videos here.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.