Strange issue with my computer; scam?

Hello guys,

I have two issues with my computer and I really need your help.

The first issue: for some reason it froze and I had a couple of blue screens. After I had no solution for it, I went to a computer store. They repaired it and gave it back to me. I wanted to start it, but it switched itself off again. I brought it back to them and they took another look. Unfortunately they were really slow and it took them longer then expected. Some days later, I got it back. Because all data was lost and I had to install everything again I took it back after they showed me that it works fine. The issue wasn't completely fixed, I found out that the computer wouldn't start if it was cut off from power for some time. If it was connected and off and I switched it on, it started perfectly fine. I told them and since I always let it connected with power I didn't care.

On Sunday, I opened the pc to check if I could install a ssd. After I closed it (didn't touch anything) it wouldn't start until the third time (because I cut it from power) and then got a lot of different blue screens. I made a list of it. Sometimes it crashed on start-up, on desktop, or even when I was turning it off. I called the computer shop and brought it to them. Today they called me and said that both my 8gb ram ddr3 sticks are broken.

For some reason I can't believe them. I don't trust them because those are unreliable guys. I played them 128€ and now they tell me both ram sticks are dead and need replacement. The strange thing is that now the issue started just like the first one, where they put up a new Windows 10.

What do you think? Is it just scam?

Sorry for the long text but I thought the more info you guys have the better. Thanks

Hello guys,

I have two issues with my computer and I really need your help.

The first issue: for some reason it froze and I had a couple of blue screens. After I had no solution for it, I went to a computer store. They repaired it and gave it back to me.

If they "repaired" it, how come it doesn't work now?

Anyway, we'll try to help you sort this out :)

Before we indulge in speculative jibba-jabba, decribe your computer to us in detail.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Why not try a bootable Ubuntu USB stick and see if the system runs with that OS without issues? That's always a good starting point to see if the hardware is ok.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Hmmm... odd that both sticks of RAM would go bad at the same time, I wonder if they tested with known good RAM and everything worked well?

Them reinstalling Windows again... while never a bad idea... is a bit lazy on the troubleshooting side, especially if it was a hardware issue as they say all along. Did they ask you before they did it?

What kind of power supply is on this PC, sounds almost to me like a faulty/weak PSU? What were the blue screen messages?

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Hmmm... odd that both sticks of RAM would go bad at the same time, I wonder if they tested with known good RAM and everything worked well?

Them reinstalling Windows again... while never a bad idea... is a bit lazy on the troubleshooting side, especially if it was a hardware issue as they say all along. Did they ask you before they did it?

What kind of power supply is on this PC, sounds almost to me like a faulty/weak PSU? What were the blue screen messages?

This sounds reasonable to me for a start--power supply is ready to quit.

If your computer starts, and works normally until you put a load on it (Stress test programs, or DCS) then quits, it could be a bad (or inadequate) PSU. You could try using a different, known-good PSU and see if that works.

Alternately, try removing one stick of RAM. See if it boots and runs normally. Then remove that one, install the other one, and try again.

Also, remove the graphics card, use the on-board graphics and see if the computer is now usable.

The trick is to find and eliminate the bad component(s), and do as much of it as you can yourself. Don't just keep spending all your dough!!

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

ask the people with your computer to reseat the RAM (physically remove it and put it back in again)

and then get them to run memtest86 from boot and send you a picture of the results.

https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

then you know if the RAM is good or BAD.

reseating the RAM usually "fixes" bad memory.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Is this a small mom and pop kinda computer repair center or a big one like geek squad? I know when I worked there for a very short time there were some good techs... but a few of them really tried to charge customers as much as they could.

There any google reviews for the repair shop you are using?

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

If the machine is shutting off completely/electrically it is likely that you may have a BAD Power Supply issue.

That is the first place to give a look

Windows 10 64 Bit - Asus 990FX Sabertooth MB - AMD FX8150 Black 8 Core CPU - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 16 Gigabyte - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB HD - EVGA GEFORCE GTX-1070 - Corsair 1050 Gold PS - Vizio 43" 4K UHD Monitor - CH Fighter Stick - CH Pro Rudder Pedals - CH Pro Throttle

Once again we see how lost someone can be if his PC just won't boot/run/whatever and has to rely on people with no or questionable integrity.

Get your PC home and troubleshoot it yourself. With a 2nd PC/Laptop for research next to you you cant go wrong but learn to fix it yourself.

Let us know if you are ready.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X