Harrier Tarawa Takeoff

joojoo

Hello to all

I would like to ask what is the proper takeoff way for a harrier in order to takeoff from Tarawa. Is it rolling or vertical? since I am as new user of the module I have made a lot of unsuccessful attempts.

Sorry for the section that I post but I did not find a section for harrier!

Thanx

This kind of question is for the AV-8B N/A forum, and not DCS World in general.

To find the answer to your question, go to Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library, find and download the AV-8B Harrier II (N/A) Guide. Chuck describes in pretty straight-forward terms and supported with many illustrations practically all aspects of AV-8B flight operations.

Good luck, and happy landings :D

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

If you accept that DCS is for fun, I would encourage some experimentation and find a take off profile that works for you. Generally (as the post above suggests) there is a NATOPs guidance, if I recall it involves setting nozzles to a certain angle (25% I think???) and then just slam the throttles forward. (I have only just got the Harrier myself, so I am still in the “fly for fun” mode, before I get more disciplined and fly the numbers)

In the absence of a UK Royal Navy (or Spanish) Carrier in game, I intend to create a training mission using the Russian Carrier (sailing in parallel to the LHA ) that provides a Ramp and play with various & increasing weapon loads (weights) to see what can be achieved. I think someone has created HMS Hermes (Falklands War variant) as a download somewhere??

Before this thread is killed off, maybe someone who has already proved the AV-8B off the ramp can confirm that the maths works and greater payloads can be achieved in game?

Hello to all

I would like to ask what is the proper takeoff way for a harrier in order to takeoff from Tarawa. Is it rolling or vertical? since I am as new user of the module I have made a lot of unsuccessful attempts.

Sorry for the section that I post but I did not find a section for harrier!

Thanx

The standard takeoff is rolling. Set the flaps to STOL and your nozzles to 10 degrees, then hold the brakes and run the throttle up. When the plane starts to roll, release the brakes. When you get to the end of the deck, set the nozzles to 55 degrees.

That's a simplified version of the by-the-book procedure, and might not work with takeoff weights near the maximum, but it should get you off the deck reliably in most circumstances.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission