** UPDATE: Ground Radar 2.0 & Multiplayer Flight Planning **

Cobra847

Looks great !!

Don't beat me up, but when it comes to A2A any chance we will be able to see dots in the sky :)

Yes I'm well aware the Viggen is a low-level A2G jet but its classification is a strike fighter with multi-role capabilities that includes Air to Air combat. Just curious ...

Not really, the radar isn't designed for it all, and the radar points itself at the ground whenever it can. I have heard than some Tornado GR.4 navigators were able to get their AG radars to work as crude air-to-air radar, but could only be used for scanning. You certainly couldn't guide air-to-air weapons with it.

Main Viggen thread: "the Viggen receives zero love now, they are only focusing on the Tomcat!"

Heatblur: "hold my beer"

Why are HB so awesome while others are not up to their level? ajmug.png

Though I just noticed that idle RPM bug in the video, but I guess that's not for too long anymore as well salute.png

Don't beat me up, but when it comes to A2A any chance we will be able to see dots in the sky smile.gif

Yes I'm well aware the Viggen is a low-level A2G jet but its classification is a strike fighter with multi-role capabilities that includes Air to Air combat. Just curious ...

I'd imagine to be able to see air contacts as well, but that'd be limited to about same altitude and lower. Those a/c are reflecting the rays pretty well after all. Nothing really dedicated to AA, but you'd at least get a good idea that there's something to watch out for if you'd see fast moving spots on the scope twilightsmile.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Not really, the radar isn't designed for it all, and the radar points itself at the ground whenever it can. I have heard than some Tornado GR.4 navigators were able to get their AG radars to work as crude air-to-air radar, but could only be used for scanning. You certainly couldn't guide air-to-air weapons with it.

I'll take scanning and knowing there is an aircraft in front of me over nothing..

does the video bar line really look like a rectangle in the real Viggen?

I could be way wrong here, so please correct me if so, but it seems like a Viggen military simulator from the early 1970s might have used a flipping rectangle atop a moving map or something(to simulate a radar screen). And maybe Heatblur is using the military simulator footage to detail their own simulator.

Like I said I could be completely wrong. I just think the rectangle at the bottom of the radar beam looks out of place, and I can't think of why it be squared off there.

Edited by Beamscanner
  • Like 1

However, I do have a question: are this radar improvements realistic?

I mean, will the simulated radar give us a radar image close to that of the real aircraft? ... or will it be better and clearer than the real aircraft? Can the real radar detect civilian traffic?

Thanks a lot,

:)

Simply answer is yes. Long answer is that it depends on various factors of the radar and even the aspect, shape and size of the vehicle.

The PS-37 is non-coherent analog radar that uses a low PRF. Thus it surely did not perform any Doppler beam sharpening to increase its resolution.

https://www.aef.se/Avionik/Notiser/PS-37/PS-37A.htm

So any detection of vehicles would be based on magnitude (how reflective the car is) and contrast (how reflective the objects surrounding the car are). In a radar such as the PS-37, the antenna's beamwidth and the radars pulse duration effect the angular and range resolution (meaning the sharpness/resolution of the radar image itself)

You simply are the best 3rd party team out there... well done on the ground radar, and for all these features you keep adding to our Viggen.

I've already purchased the F-14 as i am positive it will be a breakthru module in DCS...

thanks Cobra...

Win10 x64, Intel core I9 9900k@5ghz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080 ti, MSI Z370 Tomahawk mobo, M.2 SSD, Warthog HOTAS, home made trackIr, Pimax 8K

Awesome, looking forward to try the new Ground-radar capability & Multiplayer FP! Super nice work HT thumbup.gif.

Check it out below and let us know what you think.

This feature is now available in Open Beta.

The auto generated ATTACK is always off according to the maker & not so useful for precision weapons (Bk90). Is this being worked on?

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Unexpected - thank you very much!

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

does the video bar line really look like a rectangle in the real Viggen?

I could be way wrong here, so please correct me if so, but it seems like a Viggen military simulator from the early 1970s might have used a flipping rectangle atop a moving map or something(to simulate a radar screen). And maybe Heatblur is using the military simulator footage to detail their own simulator.

Like I said I could be completely wrong. I just think the rectangle at the bottom of the radar beam looks out of place, and I can't think of why it be squared off there.

Yeah this has been bugging me for a while, the scan line is supposed to have a smooth tail that follows it with a delay, rather than a big block of green. It's a minor graphical thing though.

Yeah this has been bugging me for a while, the scan line is supposed to have a smooth tail that follows it with a delay, rather than a big block of green. It's a minor graphical thing though.

Re the rectangle and tail;

the Viggen radar seemed to have a rectangular scanline, yes - and it does not actually have a tail at all.

That said, the recently refreshed pixels are slightly brighter and decay.

I think we're reasonably close as-is, apart from the green-tone colour which has changed with the new tonemapper and will be adjusted:

vx5aeUo.png

• Thanks 1

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

the Viggen radar seemed to have a rectangular scanline, yes - and it does not actually have a tail at all.

I think we're reasonably close as-is, apart from the green-tone colour which has changed with the new tonemapper and will be adjusted:

vx5aeUo.png

There it is. Cool! Dont understand why it does that.. but it clearly does. Just a weird Swedish thing i guess?

vx5aeUo.png

OMG!

One minute pushing the play button and not understanding why the video does not reproduce :doh: