** UPDATE: Ground Radar 2.0 & Multiplayer Flight Planning **

Cobra847

I just tried it with the new radar. How good is this thing ! What a good work !!!!!!!

Owned modules: P-47 | P-51D | Spitfire MkIX | I-16 | Bf 109 K-4 | Fw190 D-9 | Fw190 A-8 | Yak-52 | MiG-15 | F-86F | C-101 | A-10C | AJS-37 | L-39 | F-5E | M-2000C | MiG-21bis | F-14 | AV-8B Harrier II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | Ka-50 | SA342 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2.

Maps: Syria, Nevada TTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944, & The Channel.

Hardware: GeForce 1080TI, I7 7700K, 32GB RAM.

https://www.lesirreductibles.com -

Yep is super clear now, when in close. Like 5-10km range, thats where you can see roads, power line masts etc clearly, or bridges over rivers/roads (visible further away). So extremely good at giving an accurate nav fix before running in on a target.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Im still having a bit of trouble. I can sort of make out details like roads, but that is only when Im very close. Is there a recommended altitude/speed/gain/elevation setting for optimal radar clarity?

For an optimal picture don't go higher than 30km radar range and don't expect a clear picture when flying at tree level. Ignore radar brightness, play with radar gain and radar elevation to match your altitude. Sorry but there are no numerical settings on the radar…

Take a look at the forum post from Heatblur, nearly all pictures were taken in 15km range mode. It's not a high end dedicated AG attack radar with DBS at all.

I strongly recommend setting up a mission in Caucasus at 3000ft, switch on autopilot and play with the radar settings to get a feeling...

Edited by FSKRipper

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Im still having a bit of trouble. I can sort of make out details like roads, but that is only when Im very close. Is there a recommended altitude/speed/gain/elevation setting for optimal radar clarity?

Haven't yet tested the new changes, but you can use radar mode A2 to get a zoomed in view on the currently selected waypoint. Should give you a bit more details.

Yes, seems to be improved. At first I could not really see a difference in my benchmark mission, Interdiction (B3 is a good indication, clear in DCS 1.5.7) and was disappointed. Then remembered I hadn't removed the old files in fxo and metashaders2. Don't know if it should help and I haven't run Interdiction afterwards yet, but in another shorter mission it did look improved. I actually saw some benefits reducing gain a bit too, never seen that before.

But I'm disappointed with the terrain avoidance mode. It is still useless, still all empty (except one thing, se below) screen whatever I try. Or I simply can't handle it correctly. But I saw one difference from before, trains appear quite clear in this mode. Doesn't seem to be altitude or attitude dependent either. From my understanding (which might not be correct) this is not how it is supposed to be, with the radar elevation straight forward. If anyone can get any useful and for the mode relevant information in terrain avoidance mode, please share your routines, videos are welcome.

Another question: I get the feeling the quality of the radar image is FPS dependent. Is that correct? I get quite low numbers in Interdiction, around 20 (2.5, not so low in 1.5.7).

Edited by Holton181

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Hey guys, quick question, is the Radar 2.0 changes working in the PG map? been flying for a couple of hours over the Jask area, and can't really notice any changes? been fiddling with all the radar settings, but can't get a clear picture on the scope (even at <15km range)

Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

https://www.youtube.com/user/504smudge

https://www.facebook.com/504smudge

Thank you very much heatblur! I tested it yesterday and I'm really pleased with the results, now it behaves how it should! Impact on fps is minimal, if any. I know praise and encourage are important for you, so I wanted to spend some minutes to leave my positive feedback! :)

So, I have now tested Interdiction with the fxo and metashaders2 emptied (see my other post, #133 above). Unfortunately the radar still isn't showing a good enough picture over B3 to use that little beak in the lake as a nav fix. It is super clear in 1.5.7.

Anyone else that can confirm?

Is it due to the snow? low FPS?

I have it in short puls, log and PPI, but equally bad in B-scope. Since I can easily make the beak visible in 1.5.7 I don't believe it's user error, but I'm open for suggestions.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

So, I have now tested Interdiction with the fxo and metashaders2 emptied (see my other post, #133 above). Unfortunately the radar still isn't showing a good enough picture over B3 to use that little beak in the lake as a nav fix. It is super clear in 1.5.7.

Anyone else that can confirm?

Is it due to the snow? low FPS?

I have it in short puls, log and PPI, but equally bad in B-scope. Since I can easily make the beak visible in 1.5.7 I don't believe it's user error, but I'm open for suggestions.

Hmm, can you post some screenshots to show how it looks like?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The new radar looks amazing! I can even see the electricity masts! Great work!

While I can confirm an FPS penalty in the 120 km mode, performance is fine for the other ranges.

Since the radar is now showing ground targets and features so clearly, would it be possible to have another look at RR-Radar Release bombing? The 3 km mark is not placed correctly on the radar scope, see:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3592944&postcount=24

Hmm, can you post some screenshots to show how it looks like?

I put together some screenshots from the Interdiction approaching B3. I must admit I was a little bit harsh before, in LIN mode I actually got quite good results in 2.5.3, but it was more tricky to get than in 1.5.7. In LOG mode though it's useless in 2.5.3. Both these comments are valid for both PPI and B-scope.

I used a slightly modified Interdiction from 1.5.7. I placed the Viggen in air at 400m AGL at a distance of 10km approaching B3 with active pause from start, so I could get the same view on the beak in the lake in both 1.5.7 and 2.5.3, and have time to tinker to get the best results. Copied the miz to 2.5.3 and re-saved the mission. So they should be almost identical. The elevation of the beak is 1m higher in 2.5.3 than in 1.5.7, and the ground below the aircraft 3m lower i.e. 4m difference, not much angle difference there. A little bit more trees in 2.5.3 that might affect the over all picture, but not the beak.

Even if I could get a usable picture in LIN while in active pause, it's trickier than in 1.5.7. In 1.5.7 very little adjustments was necessary and the beak appeared clearly over a much wider range of the antenna elevation than in 2.5.3 (this goes for all four modes), much tougher doing the same adjustments while in M0.8, at less than four times lower altitude and hearing the RWR constantly beeping and flashing from all over the place.

Each picture has the 1.5.3 screenshot above the 2.5.3 counterpart.

Ocular view

View.thumb.jpg.5997fd44991edb710082f7188daf0ba1.jpg

PPI LOG

PPI_LOG.thumb.jpg.43aa25cf0a486d2d937ce76edb16dd7b.jpg

PPI LIN

PPI_LIN.thumb.jpg.f646835d451237c329bbf402d1245d06.jpg

B-scope LOG

B-scope_LOG.thumb.jpg.aeb1918dbfed4912a87374efca8570cb.jpg

B-scope LIN

B-scope_LIN.thumb.jpg.c55bcbebfa7e3b5f72ce8bcfac0d7fab.jpg

I wonder if low FPS or the snow (more snow in 2.5.3) can have an effect? In other missions with no snow (but marginally higher FPS) the difference between 1.5.7 and 2.5.3 is lower and LOG mode is usable, but still 1.5.7 is better.

Regarding the trains showing up in terrain avoidance mode:

From a distance

1340504159_Screen_181207_214711small.thumb.jpg.35d0ba74dbb813672dcd33dd491993dc.jpg

Close

1387152261_Screen_181207_215625small.thumb.jpg.dab9bf39d25a477e3f87428c8ae2edc7.jpg

What do you say? bug?

With this said, the Ground Radar 2.0 is much, much better than in earlier 2.x, and I have no idea which version, 1.5.7 or Ground Radar 2.0, that has the most realistic picture. Over all a very good job done but with some room for further improvements.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Could you try the default radar settings with "Rocket Attack" mission? Also, could you check that you have no controller axis assigned to the radar gain axis? If you have an axis assigned, could you disable it for the test? It looks that your radar gain settings might have been very far from the default value.

The screenshots from the first post in this topic were taken in the default air start settings - LOG - with no more than two clicks on the gain used and without changing the antenna elevation.

Edited by Super Grover

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Could you try the default radar settings with "Rocket Attack" mission? Also, could you check that you have no controller axis assigned to the radar gain axis? If you have an axis assigned, could you disable it for the test? It looks that your radar gain settings might have been very far from the default value.

The screenshots from the first post in this topic were taken in the default air start settings - LIN - with no more than two clicks on the gain used and without changing the antenna elevation.

I will try that "Rocket Attack", but I assume it's without snow? Other missions during no-snow seasons seem to be quite OK. I will also try my modified Interdiction but with changed season and weather and see if it makes any difference. Could you return the favor if time permits and try Interdiction? Unfortunately I'm not at home so I can't share my modified that start in active pause at that exact position as my pictures (10km before B3 at 400m AGL).

Just to be sure, when you say my gain seems off, you are talking about the lower image in each picture, the 2.5.3 one, right? Yes I have an axis assigned to the gain, the throttle lever on my Saitek Evo. It's in the highest (default) setting for all LOG pictures, in LIN I reduced the gain slightly. I have seen others with issues with it and have tested to remove the axis assignment but could not really see any difference. But I will try it again on this test mission.

By the way, regarding the elevation, even if a bit off-topic, I hope you have some input on this:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3714948

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Interdiction, gain axis not set, nothing tuned:

Screen_181210_132030.jpg

The default setting for the gain is not the highest setting; I think it is set to 60% of the active range. Although, due to a bug, the active range (0-100%) uses only half of the joystick axis range - this bug is now corrected and should be released with the next Viggen update.

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Although, due to a bug, the active range (0-100%) uses only half of the joystick axis range - this bug is now corrected and should be released with the next Viggen update.

Ah, good to know. I have my gain on the TM Warthog friction lever, and found that from lowest to the middle was the only area I could tell a difference. Above that it all looked the same. So will just slap axis saturation tweak on for now :thumbup:

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Interdiction, gain axis not set, nothing tuned:

Screen_181210_132030.jpg

The default setting for the gain is not the highest setting; I think it is set to 60% of the active range. Although, due to a bug, the active range (0-100%) uses only half of the joystick axis range - this bug is now corrected and should be released with the next Viggen update.

That doesn't look like Interdiction?

No winter, no low overcast clouds and no beak in a lake. What you have there is more like a island peak in a river. And you are way to high.

I mean the Interdiction Wags played a few years ago:

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Ah, that interdiction. OK, here it is :smilewink: :

Screen_181210_150145.jpg

Ah, much better ;-)

And that is in LOG if I understand correctly, with default gain and elevation?

Looks quite much better than for me, even though the deak isn't that pronounced (have access to a computer for better view, even though I now use tapatalk on my phone). I can't make the break visible in LOG whatever I tried, in LOG I succeed but after quite careful adjustments of the elevation (tricky without an axis), careful to a level not practical in NOE M0.8 and above. Can't really use it for nav-fix in that mission. B3 was perfect in 1.5.7 for that purpose.

Will try again (tomorrow evening or the next day) with the axis assignment of the gain removed, but I have low expectations.

Stay tuned!

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5