Navigation System

MKay

Hey,

I read the NATOPS document for the F14A/B which stated the F-14 got an CDNU which looks similar to the CDU of the A10C.

However I couldn't see any device like this in the Cockpit so far.

As I then learned, this was part of an upgrade program for the F-14, so my guess is we get the pre upgraded version without the CDNU.

Now to my main question: Anyone know what kind of navigation system the F-14 had piror to the CDNU? Or was it "just" TACAN Navigation without any GPS/INS what so ever?

I couldnt find anything so far - but I really like navigation systems :P

Thanks,

MKay

There are sticky posts at the top of this forum for a reason ;)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=206097

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

There are sticky posts at the top of this forum for a reason ;)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=206097

Thanks. I did actually read that before. So I guess I should have know it has INS.

But what I am wondering is how the instrument for using the INS looks like.

After watching the last stream from heatblur I spotted Jester menu entries:

- Select Waypoint

- Add Waypoint from coordinate

- Add Waypoint from Map

I am curious how this actually works.

But since the RIO is also a playable position, I cant stop to wonder how the INS Device looks like in cockpit. Maybe I might spot something where the RIO cockpit will be streamed.

But Thanks for the quick answers :)

There isn't that much to see as it's mostly integrated into the TID and corresponding systems.

There is an INS status light and a selector knob selecting what mode to use and so on.

Before alignment the RIO enters own aircraft location into the TID and then set the mode selector to the correct alignment mode (CV or normal) and then the TID switches to show an alignment status indication.

These controls are on the frame around the TID.

There are additional degraded modes as well ofc.

There isn't that much to see as it's mostly integrated into the TID and corresponding systems.

There is an INS status light and a selector knob selecting what mode to use and so on.

Before alignment the RIO enters own aircraft location into the TID and then set the mode selector to the correct alignment mode (CV or normal) and then the TID switches to show an alignment status indication.

These controls are on the frame around the TID.

There are additional degraded modes as well ofc.

Thanks!

Are you guys having any plans or are you considering adding a data cartridge feature?

Textfile based with just the waypoints would be great, to not enter the waypoints manually via jester.

Since in MP or open templates you have no mission editor waypoints you could set prior to takeoff.

Tomcat hyped regards,

MKay

Thanks!

Are you guys having any plans or are you considering adding a data cartridge feature?

Textfile based with just the waypoints would be great, to not enter the waypoints manually via jester.

Since in MP or open templates you have no mission editor waypoints you could set prior to takeoff.

Tomcat hyped regards,

MKay

Not at the moment as the F-14 did not have that feature, at least not the -A or -B.

As far as I understand it the RIO always had to enter the waypoints manually, but we still load them from ME ofc so who knows!

The current way of doing it via the F10 map does work quite nicely via Jester though.

Not at the moment as the F-14 did not have that feature, at least not the -A or -B.

As far as I understand it the RIO always had to enter the waypoints manually, but we still load them from ME ofc so who knows!

The current way of doing it via the F10 map does work quite nicely via Jester though.

Good stuff! Jester will definitely make things a whole lot easier for newbie pilots and IMO that's a very good thing.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

So to be clear..

You (player) designate the waypoints via the F10 map, save the data, and then instruct Jester to load those waypoints?

Does Jester have a timer that realistically mimics the time a RIO would take to enter them? IE 5 minutes or so?

Thanks for answering that. I am excited to try that myself :)

We could just not call it data cartridge but "Jesters startup waypoint sheet" :)

But either way. I am happy we can navigate potently from day 1

So to be clear..

You (player) designate the waypoints via the F10 map, save the data, and then instruct Jester to load those waypoints?

Does Jester have a timer that realistically mimics the time a RIO would take to enter them? IE 5 minutes or so?

You basically get to choose from the set markers on the F10 map and then Jester sets the chosen waypoint using that markers coordinates.

In regards to time to enter them Jester actually do all the necessary steps, if you look at the TID repeat on the HSD you can see him entering them.